Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin Engine

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 1346 times

Old 12-04-2018, 02:30:57 PM
Registered

Default Wisconsin Engine

I am new to this website. Picked up a 19?? Wisconsin engine can't get running. 30 psi compression. took head off everything looks great. i believe it is a AKS or AKN it has a aluminium head. is there anyone in the Appleton Wisconsin area that can help me with this engine?

it seems to have great spark, it has a magneto ignition.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2018, 03:55:28 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,284 Times in 4,059 Posts
Exclamation Re: wisconsin engine

Are you using an electric starter or rope start? if rope start, you need at least 10 compression strokes to get a close value. if electric, 5 or more should do it. All compression tests need to be done with throttle wide open. After initial test, add 2 tablespoons of SAE 30 oil to the combustion chamber and re-test. if the pressure comes up significantly, you wil need to dis-assemble and have a look at the rings. They may be worn or stuck. A minimum compression value should be in the area of 65 to 70 PSI. 30 is too low in my opinion.

if you have the required number of strokes, and still only come up with 30, you need to do a leakdown test and see where the compression is going. You need to place the engine at TDC Compression and introduce at least 80 PSI into the combustion chamber. The best way to do that is to either buy or make an adapter to fit in the spark plug hole. (a cleaned out spark plug shell with a quick coupler installed in it) Then you listen to the intake, exhaust and crankcase to see where the air is escaping. if exhaust or intake, then you obviously need valve work. If air is getting into the crankcase, then again, you need to get inside and have a look at the piston and ring condition.

If you have the 65 + compression, I would look to carburetion and timing. if the points are set correctly, and spark timing is correct, that only leaves fuel. If the magneto has a retarder, it should trip at TDC compression. If none, about 20 degrees in advance of TDC Compression should do it. As for fuel - you need to make sure the float level is set correctly (seam on float parallel with fuel bowl mount face) There should be no debris in the fuel bowl, and the jets must be clear of any obstruction. To start, main jet (high speed) 11/2 turns out from lightly seated, idle mixture needle set at 1 turn out. These are start points. Your actual settings may be as much as a quarter turn in to a full turn out from initial setting. Set mixtures for best running, if the engine is 'idled'. if this engine is to work, set for best running at both idle and high speed, then back out high speed (Main) jet 1/8th turn rich. Alternative setting - set engine at high speed. Back out high speed needle until engine begins to mis-fire or engine produces black smoke from exhaust. Turn in needle until either smoke or misfire just clears up.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:01:30 PM
Registered

Default Re: wisconsin engine

thanks Andrew I will be checking compression with throttle wide open . I have never worked on these engines . when I had the head off I did rotate flywheel and the igniter for ignition did fire off when piston was at TDC from what I saw. the piston sleeve seems to look fine and there was no sign of carbon when I pulled off the head.yes it has a rope start but i get no sign of pop off when I pull it over. it seems the faster I pull the rope the less the igniter for ignition pops off ?
Old 12-04-2018, 06:36:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,159 Times in 629 Posts
Default Re: wisconsin engine

Why don't you try this, can you see the key way in the out put shaft? Take the spark plug out and rotate the engine slowly by hand and see if the mag impulses (click) when the keyway is up or just past up. Does the mag click? If it does, take the spark plug, put the spark plug wire on it, ground the base of the plug to the fins on the head, and rotate the engine by hand until it clicks. Does the plug fire?
Old 12-04-2018, 08:43:39 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Wisconsin Engine

Since it is not seized and has some compression, I would put a teaspoon of gas in the spark plug hole, put the plug back in and give her crank and see what happens (Briggs used to call that priming the engine)...of course that is just me and sometimes I just fall off into a black hole.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:08:28 PM
Registered-II

Greetings 63Dave, The norm is usually 60 psi minimum. Put a teaspoon of motor oil in the cylinder. This will temporarily raise the compression. After it runs a while it will probably be OK. Enjoy your Wissy, Good Luck
Old 12-05-2018, 03:01:46 PM

Thanked 20,317 Times in 5,910 Posts

Welcome to STAK Dave.......
I moved your question to THE engine forum.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:36:42 AM
Registered-III

Hi

Both radiodoc and Greg Mosley have very good recommendations.

I have many years working on those engine and many summers training from Wisconsin back in the 60ís.

Phil P
Old 12-06-2018, 08:34:27 AM
Registered

thanks to all that replied I have Identified that it is a AKN 1869411
2 7/8 X 2 3/4 59214 but not sure what those numbers mean any help ?
I did take Andrew/Radiodoc and Greg's suggestions. after putting in some oil into the cylinder I got 60 lbs of compression. is that still too low ?? took spray bottle of gas primed the carb and got her to pop. pulling rope with one hand spraying gas into carb with the other I finally got it running. I left her alone for the night to give her a rest and to see if they is any more advise.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:04:47 AM
Registered

another question there is a check valve on exhaust vale side of block what is that all about ? what is its purpose and is that have anything to do with compression ?