Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

'53 Super C Hydraulics problem

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 791 times

Old 06-16-2017, 10:55:26 AM
Registered

Default '53 Super C Hydraulics problem

My Three point lift has stopped working all of a sudden like and i can't figure out what it could be. I Have a Paulson loader on front and it works fine, but the Cultivator lifts and the rear lift ram stopped completely. It has plenty of oil in it and before it stopped it was making a screeching noise in the touch control unit but just before it stopped working the noise stopped. I Checked the control valve next to the starter and pulled it off and apart and cleaned a small amount of sediment out of the bottom and reworked two supply/return lines to the joystick next to the steering wheel. I Filled everything up, started the tractor and cracked the lines loose at the joystick(highest point) and bled some air out and refilled it, then repeated it again twice more to top everything off and still nothing. So the only thing i can think of may be the touch control might have a valve sticking and need some ideas. I Need to finish planting my garden but need the tiller on the 3 point to build my rows so the hydraulics need to be running to lift the tiller up and down etc,. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2017, 01:14:07 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,049 Times in 3,103 Posts
Default Re: '53 Super C Hydraulics problem

Not familiar with how you have the loader hooked in the system, but the screeching sound may have been the pressure relief valve operating. They only come into play if the system is over loaded by trying to lift too much weight or if there is a valve closed in the wrong position cutting off the normal flow of the system. Also many times if this happens too much it can shear the key in the pump drive gear. The thing can still flow if not much load but if loaded the pump will stop turning.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 10:17:59 AM
Registered

anybody have an idea what i can check?
Old 06-17-2017, 01:01:04 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,629 Times in 7,475 Posts

Is there a relief valve in the system? Friend had a Fiat tractor that had moisture in the system. The 3ph just stopped. There was a spool in the valve under the seat that came apart. Cleaned everything up and it worked. The spool was stuck.
Had a Cockshutt 20 that stopped also. There was a broken spring in the control unit atop the hind end.
Have never worked on a Super C, so just tossin' ideas out.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 06:16:46 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,049 Times in 3,103 Posts

Just another thought, we had a tractor here that wouldn't lift the plow and found a piece of debris caught in the relief valve. They had broken off the pipe to the remote cylinder. When they removed the broken piece they lost a piece of thread in the system and it worked its way into the valve and held it open. One thing would be to use a hydraulic pressure gauge and see where you have pressure or not. You would hook it to the remote coupler or what ever out let you have. Just thinking out loud.