Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

"Vintage" tractor/brush hog combination?

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 3232 times

Old 03-22-2005, 12:59:05 PM
Registered

Default "Vintage" tractor/brush hog combination?

Looking for suggestions on a vintage tractor that we can use with a brush hog for our "back forty" and other simple hauling chores around the place.
Been told to steer away from Ford 9n/2n as they are only 3 speed, and require an aux. box for the pto. We are not partial to any specific marque, just need it to do the job correctly and be "vintage".
Any ideas on what we should be looking for and also what we shouldn't would be great.
thanks
Peter
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2005, 11:30:20 AM
Registered

Default Re: "Vintage" tractor/brush hog combination?

I don't know too many specifics, but I can at least help you through the basics. If you want to use a brush hog, get a wide-front tractor. The narrow front rowcrop types aren't real stable with only three wheels. Also, try to find a tractor with a live PTO. You'll be glad you have it if that mower plugs. If you're looking for something small, you could try an A-C B or widefront C, a Farmall A, or even a John Deere M. Another good small tractor would be something like a Massey Ferguson 25. If you're looking for something with a little more power, you could go with an Oliver 70-77-80-88 (Standard, of course). Of course, there are plenty of tractors out there, but these are just suggestions. Another thing: If you are planning on using this solely as a work tractor, I would recommend changing the electrical system to a 12-volt system, if the tractor doesn't already have one. The benefits of doing this greatly outweigh the time it takes to make the switch, in my opinion.

My 2 cents, hope it helps

Jake