Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

'37 John Deere B

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1425 times

Old 02-09-2015, 07:37:56 PM
Registered

Default '37 John Deere B

I have a unstyled B with 36" round spokes. I have noticed more with 38". Which is correct? Also the block is cracked at the center head stud to both bores. I'm not sure if it can be pinned or not. I don't have it home yet, but will post a photo when I can. In the mean time I am searching for a block, preferred standard bore or an oversized bore with matching pistons. Does anyone know of a reputable vendor that may have one?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2015, 09:03:06 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: '37 John Deere B

If it is a early '37, 36" are most often seen. John Adams in Cobbleskill, NY has a ton of parts for these and think he can fix you up with a good block and pistons. Check the casting date on your block and the new one, if possible try to get a '36 or '37. I have found usually a block will need to be bored and sleeved, if you get a good set of pistons, this usually is the best route, pretty hard to find a matched block and piston set. Should be pretty easy to find.
The Following User Says Thank You to B.C. Cushing For This Post:
Old 02-10-2015, 05:09:35 PM
Registered

Do you have a phone number or e-mail address for John Adams? Where would I come up with sleeves or are they custom made? Can you recommend a machine shop that has done these before? I have a couple possible leads now, waiting for return calls. I am just getting started with John Deere 2 cylinders, so any advice is appreciated. The rest of the tractor looks good. The crank is good, head redone, mag, carb ect.. It is a short frame, so 36" sounds like what it should have. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:21:38 PM
Subscriber

John Adams 518-231-4346, he knows early A's really good. I use Eastwood's for my machine work ph 860-749-2903. I think they have done work on 6 or 7 units for me to date. Send them the pistons and block, and they will sleeve and fit it for you. If it needs babbit on the rods, many of us use Paul's 816-587-4747. Check the crank shaft to see if where the rods go on to see is not out of round too much, if it is, then Eastwoods can grind it up and fit the rods and fit the wrist pin if needed. Hope fully you will not need all this, but if the engine is tired, it would not be a surprise. An I&T manual will show you the tollerances for the engine parts. Good luck. PM me if you need any further help.
The Following User Says Thank You to B.C. Cushing For This Post:
Old 02-10-2015, 05:25:32 PM
Registered

Thanks, that info will be usefull, for sure!