Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Frustrated Uploading Photos

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 3022 times

Old 12-23-2015, 04:49:28 AM
Registered

Default Frustrated Uploading Photos

I finally figured out how to get pics off my I phone on to my computer . Posted a few of my new acquisitions and am trying to post a few of my Wisconsin Eng. and it says upload error ??? I don't patients to keep messing with this technology .

Ronny
The Following User Says Thank You to ronny p 148 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2015, 08:20:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,728 Times in 501 Posts
Default Re: frustrated

Ronny, you have too large of pictures.
You need to resize them or set your phone's camera to a lower setting and re take them
Old 12-23-2015, 09:11:58 AM
Subscriber

Turn on the camera & open the menu, go to set up or record & enter.
Then look for picture size & select one that reads.
" For sending as E-mail attachments or WEB photos."
Then select it & exit.
If you are using a photo viewer program, like Picasa, use that programs email to send your pictures & they automatically are reduced in size.
If you still have trouble sending because of the size.
You would need to manually reduce the size of the photos in the viewer program & save them one at a time in another file.
Then use that file to send the pictures.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:28:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,095 Times in 495 Posts

Ronny p.. I feel your pain...
I have tried several times to upload pictures, no luck yet.
it's too bad That the stak does not' have A application to upload photos like eBay....
the eBay app is so easy,,, click, resize and upload... Its a no brainer. Like me..
I will probably have to swallow my pride, and have my 8 year old teach me how to post pictures

Last edited by Big Bird; 12-23-2015 at 09:54:16 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-23-2015, 09:37:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts

What I don't understand is I can post some pictures with my phone and some I can't. They are all taken the same, no settings changed???

I am hopefully waiting for the day when Harry gets a phone app for smokstak!
I don't even have any idea what it would take to have a smokstak app, but I bet we would see a lot more pictures from the show grounds with one!
Old 12-23-2015, 09:56:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,399 Times in 2,716 Posts

Here's the dealio. Many phones will default and take pics at a high resolution. This creates pics that are physically too big when you clicky them to open on a website like stak.

The image also has a large file size that requires lots of bits and bytes requiring a lot of space on Harry's computers that store them. So to save storage space and to not have an image that is bigger than the screen when you open it, file size has to be limited.

Here's the typical upload screen you get when you want to upload pics from your computer or phone. Note the size limits of the pictures. ~180 kb is the norm on most forums. This image I took was saved at a size where it is only 18 kilobytes yet it shows up ok.

The pics you're trying to upload may be in the megabytes therefore way over the allowed limit. Funny story, my wife was having the same problem tossing pics up on her bookface account. Before I could help her the 7 year old grandson schooled her bigtime on cell phones, pics and apps. So find someone who can show you how to set the resolution lower on your phone.

*I won't get into iphones and how their diabolical rendering often puts pics up on a site that are sideways or upside down. That'll frustrate the heck out of you!

The processor in a camera or phone sees every image differently and tries to obtain the best quality of image. I can take a pic of something and lets say it creates an image that is 700 kilobytes in size. Move closer to the subject and shoot the same pic again and it'll be 1300 kilobytes. Go figure huh... Another reason to set the allowable resolution lower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scrn.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	242023  

Last edited by I like oldstuff; 12-23-2015 at 10:10:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 12-23-2015, 11:28:01 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,125 Times in 472 Posts

I have an IPhone 4s and a newer laptop with the worst windows abomination I have used...Windows 10!! Avoid windows 10 as long as you can!!!! But anyway.... here is how I post pics. I upload the pictures to my photo gallery then go into Harry's website. click on manage attachments, then browse, then when you get the picture you want up and before you double click to send to the website, resize the picture by 50% two times. Then click upload. Not sure if it is the correct way but it works for me.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:32:24 PM

Thanked 20,661 Times in 5,982 Posts

The site software will automatically resize images up to somewhat over 2 megs so resize them to about 2 megs but don't go nuts on resizing or your photos won't display worth a damn.......
Old 12-23-2015, 05:07:59 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,185 Times in 2,490 Posts
Default Re: Frustrated Uploading Photos

I thought we had taken care of this some time back. I just submitted a ticket to server support to have them take a look. A server update might have overwritten the changes back to the default 2 Mb.

After the upload, the server reduces them down to 1024 X 768 and under 300K file size. Remember, the bigger the upload, the longer it takes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry For This Post:
Old 12-23-2015, 06:09:57 PM

Thanked 20,661 Times in 5,982 Posts

You did Harry.
You told me you had them jack up the file size to 10 megs because of the high resolutions of today's cameras and smart phones.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:43:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,797 Times in 485 Posts

Some of today's phones take higher resolution photos than my camera. One thing to remember when adjusting the phone to a lower resolution is to set it back to the higher setting if you ever want to print any photos, or submit any of your photos to a magazine or for a calendar photo. Low resolution photos do not print well. They don't necessarily have to be billboard size to print, but they do not print like what you see on a computer screen. I don't know how many times I've tried to explain to someone that their photo will be fuzzy or small when they say, "it looked fine on the computer." If you will never, ever want to use your photos in print, then keep the resolution low. But remember, someday all of those photos on your phone or computer will be gone. Technology will change, computers crash, cell phones die and you will not be able to access them. If they are printed, someone will still be able to look at them 100 years from now. Even if you keep them on a photo-hosting website, it can disappear, too.
Brenda S
The Following User Says Thank You to Brenda S For This Post:
Old 12-23-2015, 07:37:40 PM
Administrator

root@mail [~]# php -i | grep upload
file_uploads => On => On
max_file_uploads => 20 => 20
upload_max_filesize => 8M => 8M

Eight it is! Apparently, cameras are getting higher resolution these days.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harry For This Post:
Old 12-23-2015, 11:11:37 PM
Registered

Harry :

I have an I phone 5c it your site will let one pic upload then I try to send another it will not up load the second picture. I thought it was my computer so I took new pictures and again only one will upload same phone . I had an android better phone than this one and no problems I'm not good at all this crap like resizing if it means all this technical stuff to heck with it.

Ronny

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Harry I go to manage attachments click on it click on browse it sends me to file folder in windows click double click on photo and it goes to where browse was but there no resize there but like I said it will let me send one picture but after that I get the error uploading message . If I start a new thread I can send one pic then same thing happens.

Ronny
Old 12-24-2015, 08:02:03 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,670 Times in 479 Posts

I have an IPhone I just email them to my lap top a screen pops up on my phone for the size of the picture it says small medium or large I select medium and send them to the laptop I know it might be a little inconvenient but the pic's look about the right size and are clear. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-25-2015, 12:19:55 AM
Registered

Why is it it lets me post one photo taken with same phone same size settings ? If I don't get an easy way to post I understand I'm just not going to mess with it. Kind of takes fun out of posting here . I just don't have the know how with I phones and the likes . O Well !

Ronny
The Following User Says Thank You to ronny p 148 For This Post:
Old 12-25-2015, 06:15:11 PM
Registered

Just went to settings on my phone clicked I cant see anything that allows you to change resolution.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:23:17 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff
Funny story, my wife was having the same problem tossing pics up on her bookface account. Before I could help her the 7 year old grandson schooled her bigtime on cell phones, pics and apps. So find someone who can show you how to set the resolution lower on your phone.
Oldstuff, can you send your 7 year old grandson over to give me some lessons?

I have a Galaxy S5 sport phone. This is the list of settings for picture size.

16M 5312x2988 (16:9)

12M 3984x2988 (4:3)

8.9M 2976x2976 (4:3)

8.0M 3264x2448 (4:3)

6.0M 3264x1836 (16:9)

I have it set on the bottom setting 6.0M and I am still having trouble, I can post some pictures and some I can't????
Why is the last number on the top and bottom settings the same (16:9) ?
I am lost with this stuff.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:48:39 AM
Administrator

What is the file size on your photos? If it's not waaaay out of bounds, might be that I can up the amount a bit.

Keep in mind, huge photos takes longer time to upload and puts a heavier load on the server to downsize them.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:35:55 PM
Subscriber

(4:3) and (16:9) are the aspect ratios.

4x3 is like an old TV set. Just a little wider than tall.

16x9 is like a new flatscreen. Very wide and not too tall. Images look letterboxed when viewing on an old 4:3 device.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:20:06 PM
Subscriber

I do as Wagswitte, and resize by e-mailing to my computer. Just this morning I was trying to post four pictures from my Ipad. It would only let me post one. I copied, and sent post and pictures to my laptop and all worked fine. Apple product do not get along with all sites. My I phone wont get past page two in the new post section of this site. Hope this helps someone.

Jim