Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Resizing and Posting Photos

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 6670 times

Old 05-14-2006, 02:32:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 9,440 Times in 2,018 Posts
Default Resizing and Posting Photos

Some people have trouble resizing and posting photos, so I wrote down step by step method I use:

RESIZING PHOTOS
The following method is using PhotoImpression on Windows XP. Assuming your photos are in a folder in MY PICTURES, enter the folder, and click on the photo to be resized. Click on FILE and go down to OPEN WITH and click on PhotoImpression. (This program loads slow, so give it plenty of time.) After the photo is loaded, click on EDIT, then go to the lower right corner, and click on the WIDTH box that has numbers. (I entered 650.) Use the backspace key to delete these numbers, then type in 650, and click on RESIZE. Click on SAVE and SAVE AS, then a small Window appears. The resized photo needs a destination, so click on SAVE IN, and click on MY PICTURES. Now click on SAVE AS TYPE, and click on JPEG. Click on FILE NAME, and enter a name or number . . . I usually enter 1 or A. Click on SAVE. Another small Window appears which says . . . ADD TO ALBUM. Click yes. When hourglass disappears, click on X in upper right corner of the screen, and you'll go back to the folder you opened.
When you go back to MY PICTURES and place the Mouse's arrow over the photo, it should display . . . DIMENSIONS: 650 x 487, TYPE: JPEG File, and SIZE: 131 KB. (These readings will vary with each photo.)
(Remember to give PhotoImpressions plenty of time, especially with BITMAP files, as they use a lot of memory.)

To insert Attached Thumbnails: Click on MANAGE ATTACHMENTS in ADDITIONAL OPTIONS box, which is directly below the REPLY TO THREAD box. A new Window appears . . . take note of File Type, Max Files Size, Width, Height, etc. (Basically all are; 800 x 800 and 97.7 KB.) Click on long rectangular box where it says; Upload File from your Computer. Type in MY PICTURES and click on BROWSE, and this will take you to MY PICTURES. (You don't need capital letters when you type in my pictures.) Click on photo and click on OPEN, then click on UPLOAD. Give it time to upload, which will be displayed just below the BROWSE box. When finished, click on Close This Window, and Submit Your Reply.

To insert photo with your message: Click on PHOTO GALLERY, and a new page appears. Below the RANDOM IMAGES box, click on UPLOAD. In IMAGE OPTIONS box click in VIEW ALLOWED EXTENSIONS and type in MY PICTURES, and click on BROWSE. A smaller window appears displaying MY PICTURES folders, files, etc. Click on photo to highlight it, and click on OPEN. On IMAGE TITLE and DESCRIPTION boxes, type in info, such as, steamers!. Click on CATEGORY and choose your own category . . . I chose Various Engine Photos. Read USER AGREEMENT and click on small box if you agree, then click on SUBMIT, and it'll be displayed on another screen.
If you want to upload more photos, repeat the above instructions?

To add a photo to your posting, click on PHOTO GALLERY and click on your thumbnails. If your thumbnails aren't displayed, search by USER NAME . . . click on USER NAME box and type in your name and click on SEARCH NOW and they will be displayed on a new page.
Click on thumbnail to display new page of a larger image. Go down to BB IMAGE CODE. The long rectangular box will display something like this:

[img]http://www.smokstak.com.....blah, blah

Place mouse arrow to the very left of this box and hold down the left button while moving to the right. This will highlight it. Right click on it, then left click COPY. Now click on back button until your back to your thread. In your message box, left click at the end of your message, then press enter to move cursor down to a new line. Right click, then left click on PASTE, and this will appear . . .

To enter another photo in your message, repeat the above, and enter your new image below this one . . . like this:

[img]http://www.smokstak.com......blah, blah

(Note: It won't display a picture at this time . . . only after its been submitted.)

Print this off and use as a guide. I felt like I had 10 thumbs until I did it a few times.

Good Luck!

Gary K

Note: I had to edit the BB IMAGE CODE I typed in with the .....blah, blah, as it wouldn't appear on the post!

Last edited by Gary K; 05-14-2006 at 12:38:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2006, 11:17:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts
Default Re: Resizing and Posting Photos

I prefer to post pics from my Gallery using the img code as it gives a better display than the thumbnail version.

And the New Gallery is a side benefit to sending Harry a few Bucks and becoming a subscriber.

20 Reeveshighwheeler Certainly has outdone himself and posted Tons of Great pictures there along with everybody elses...

If some of the new guys haven't been there and looked at the pics take a Look..... Just click on Photo Gallery near the top of the page..
Old 07-03-2012, 12:47:20 AM
Registered

Ken, is your Witte a KD 5? I went to the "Gallery" and as you said, there were some great photos organized by owner.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:10:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts
Photo Re: Resizing and Posting Photos

I really like using the Nero PhotoSnap software that came already loaded in my last 2 computers.

It's what automatically opens as a viewer when I click on a picture, and has built in editing software that's easy to use and automatically reduces the file size to roughly a third of the original size even with the smallest change made, then gets progressively smaller with each change after that.

Here's a series of screen shots of what I do.... The first seven shots aren't the clearest because I used the camera to shoot pictures of the screen (with its flickering image) and cropped them down, but then the 8th picture is the final result of what's shown in the first 7. Just cropping only, dropped it from 2.98 MB (almost 3 MB) down to 797KB (just over 3/4 of a MB). Even doing just a small 1/4 degree rotation or a minor pin-cushion or barrel shape adjustment will drop the original file size to roughly 1/3rd with No loss of image quality.

Then for uploading, I hit the Reply button which opens the Quick Reply, then hit the Go Advanced button for more options. Either click on the Paperclip icon next to the smiley face up above, or on the Manage Attachments button in the Additional Options box below, which opens the Manage Attachments window. Click the Browse button which takes you to your computer and then locate the image you want to upload and click on it and if you want to upload another image hit the second Browse button, then hit the upload button, and wait while it works its magic. Time will vary with file size and connection speed, if you're on slow dial up like I am, the smaller the file the quicker it uploads.

Click on the Preview Post button to be sure they uploaded before hitting the Submit Reply button.

Since you can only upload 4 pictures per post, I will need to post again to show the other 3 "edit shots" and the the final result. It will take me a while to get the next post on here as I am on real slow dial up and currently connected at 26400bps and have 4 more pictures to upload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 009.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	139053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 012.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	139054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 013.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	139056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 015.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	139057  

Last edited by OTTO-Sawyer; 07-05-2012 at 02:45:21 PM. Reason: typo & highlighting
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 02:32:36 PM
Subscriber

Here's the other 3 "Edit shots" (the first one of which should have been the 2nd picture in the previous post) and the Final Result of that Editing which dropped the file size from 2.98MB to 797KB

Uploading to SmokStak also compresses the file size a little more and the 797KB picture ended up at 156.5KB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 010.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	139058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 016.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	139059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 017.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	139060   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-26-2012 (149).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	139061  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 02:34:44 PM
Subscriber

Looking at the time between my two posts.... it took 22 minutes to upload 4 pictures with my slow dial up connection. And that's WITH Them Cropped Down to smaller file sizes.

But it's worth the wait to be able to post them.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 07-06-2012, 04:41:23 AM
Registered

Default Picasa, anyone?

I thought that everyone used Picasa (because it’s free?). I find it’s easy to use once you get the hang of it. To download: http://picasa.google.com/. Plus, unlike other so-called “free software” Picasa doesn’t keep pestering you to upgrade... ever!

Once you have Picasa downloaded, it’ll sort of be your default program for some image files. Just double-click on a file icon in Windows Explorer (that program is always a good icon to have on your desktop or taskbar). When you double-click the image will appear enlarged, but Picasa won’t start until you click on “Edit in Picasa” toward the bottom.

There are several basic editing tools you’ll need to use for editing image files to get them under the maximum limit for thumbnails on SmokeStak. First, “Straighten” to get your image perfectly aligned (click “Apply” below). Use first before cropping. Oh, and if you need to rotate the image do that absolutely first. There are two arrows under the image. Just spin the image until it’s in the orientation you need it to be in.

Then use “Crop.” I use “Manual” setting. This is where Picasa is obtuse. To get the cropping lines to appear you have to click on one of the three small images suggested (at left). Then put your curser onto each of the 4 edges to crop the excess out of the image (or at a corner). This will reduce the file size for a start. Plus, I just like to remove my thumb from the right side of every photo I take!!!

Then use the Drop-Down menu for “File” and then “Save.” Then the original file will have the changes saved to it. You can undo any edit using the “Undo” button (e.g., “Undo Crop,” “Undo Straighten,” etc.). I always save an original copy of my image in case I screw up the editing. That way I can always start from scratch. I put those original scan copies in a separate folder “Z-Original Scans or Photos.” I put a “Z” in front of the folder name to force the folder to the bottom of the list.

Now, you want to really reduce the file size. You do this with the compression system in Picasa. This is done with “Export” — this button is below the image (a small icon). Now, you can Export one image at a time or Export in bulk. Initially, just do one at a time. Click on “Export” and this’ll bring up the Export menu. You have many options here. For the maximum SmokeStak limits you’ll need serious compression. You can try various settings, but start with “800” and “Normal.” If the files are still too big try “800” and “Minimum.”

When you Export you have to provide a destination for the exported files (top of the menu). Also, the exported file will have the same name!!! So, be wary of where you put the files in Windows Explorer.

What I do is create a set of folders where I store my images. I create a folder “@Exported at 800 Normal” and “@Exported at 1200 Normal” and so forth for all the sizes of Export you wish to try (I use “@” in front of the folder name to force the folder to the top of the list because those will be the files I want to use). And, depending on how much your images are cropped you can even use different Export setting for different images. But, that’ll take time to develop such a technique.

When you know that your exported (compressed) images are OK size-wise for posting on SmokeStak, then write up your post and then click on the little Paper Clip icon at the top of the post screen (with all the other editing tools such as Bold, etc.). That’ll bring up the menu for adding your images as thumbnails at the bottom-left of your post. The maximum sizes for the various file types will be shown there for your reference.

I hope this helps. Remember that you have a maximum allowance for all the images you post on SmokeStak (I call it the “Cap”), so Export the images to as small a size as possible so you don’t bump into that Cap.

Good luck.

Brian S.
Picasa Nerd
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SmokeStak Attachments List - Maximums.pdf (161.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Brian S.; 07-06-2012 at 01:16:21 PM. Reason: Spelling... what else?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian S. For This Post:
Old 07-06-2012, 10:01:22 AM
Registered

Thanks guys!

I think it's possible that after I study this a bit and get some time to play with it even I might be able to post a pic now! Much appreciated info!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Mathis For This Post:
Old 07-06-2012, 01:26:52 PM
Subscriber

When I temporarily 'lost' my Nero, I downloaded several different 'free' photo edit programs, including Picasa, and it did seem to be the easiest to use of the "free" ones I tried, but after being Spoiled with Nero, I still wasn't real happy with Picasa. Even when doing some Major Cropping, it had little effect on the file size, so I had to stand back farther when taking pictures so I could crop them down even smaller to be able to upload them anywhere with my slow dial up connection. Plus the bigger file size fills up your picture storage allotment on here that much faster. Though the latest upgrade Harry made gives us Plenty of space now compared with what is just a year ago. I had exceded my limit at that time and couldn't post pictures anymore until he made that last change. Now I should be good for a couple/few more years again with room for thousands of pictures.

I was real happy though when after running into other computer problems, I Reset it to the Original Configuration and my Nero edit program reappeared.

As I noted before, it is what came loaded in my last 2 computers, so it was totally free (other than the cost of the computer of course), with No Downloads needed, I have Never gotten any messages telling me to upgrade anything on it, it is super simple to use, and if you don't like the results you can back up and start over again as long as you haven't saved it after the last change...(You can make a copy of your picture and practice on it if you want to).

And as I noted before, even the smallest change, whether it's trimming a barely noticeable amount off the edges or doing a 1/4 degree or 1 degree rotation which also trims a little off each edge while rotating will drop the file size to roughly 1/3rd the original file size with no noticeable change in image quality. I just checked the numbers and even rotating 90 degrees which doesn't trim anything anywhere, will drop the file size from 3.01MB to 1.02MB with absolutely No Change in image quality. Rotating that same image back 90 degrees to its original orientation keeps it at 1.02MB so rotating right, saving it, then rotating back again will drop it to just a hair over 1/3rd the file size with No Cropping at all if you don't have any room to trim the edges. With Picasa I had some images that ended up with Larger file sizes with some of the changes I made.

There are also other things you can do with Nero, that are easy to play around with, (and some that can be confusing, but I rarely use anyway), and most all of them will also drop the file size. using the same 'final image' from my last post here, I took that picture of my truck and made it black & white with an oval border and dropped it from 797KB to 439KB and I played around with several of the other edit options including "Aging" and flipping the image and a few others for minor tweeks on it, and dropped the 797KB to 629KB on the aged color version of it. Mixing Different effects together, I used the 'vignetting' (oval border) on the aged color shot and dropped it from 629KB to 372KB. I should have planned ahead for doing that though and had the truck centered a little better or not have cropped it quite as close in the picture as the vignetting covered part of the front bumper. but I did it just to show some of what can be done with it.

My friends newer Laptop computer came preloaded with Nero too, so you might want to check and see if it's already in yours as well. If it's in there, it is Totally Free, and works real good. About the only thing it doesn't have is the ability to write ot draw on the picture, but my computer also came preloaded with the "Paint" program which I think Craig mentioned in another thread. On mine and my friends laptop, Nero is what opens when you left click on a picture and opens as Nero PhotoSnap Viewer with a menu bar accross the top with buttons for Open (which it already is, so I don't know why that's there?), Edit, Zoom In, Zoom Out, Full Screen, Rotate Left, Rotate Right (both of which are for viewing only and don't do any edited rotations), Information, Previous, & Next. Click on the Edit button and it opens up as shown in a few of the images I posted in the previous two posts I made on this thread. If I right click on an image I have the option of opening it using Nero, Windows Picture & Fax Viewer, "Paint", Internet Explorer, or Windows Movie Maker... so if yours automatically open with Windows picture & fax viewer, you might want to try right clicking and see if you can open it with Nero. I think you'll be happy with it if you find that you have it.

The last picture is as if it was embossed in tin which did RAISE the File Size from 797KB to 1.44MB, but it's a seldom used feature. I just did it to show here because it can be a pretty cool effect with some images.(even if this wasn't the best one to show it with)

And of course as with all images, if you hover over the pictures you will find the file sizes are even smaller once they're posted on here due to the compression when uploading. The numbers I posted there are what each picture size is in my computer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of 5-26-2012 (149).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	139106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Copy of 5-26-2012 (149).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	139107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Copy of Copy of 5-26-2012 (149).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	139108   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-26-2012 (149).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	139109  
Old 07-06-2012, 01:34:18 PM
Subscriber

I just reread Brians post again and saw the part about the "Export" button on Picasa which I guess I never found when I was trying to use it. That's probably why I couldn't get the file sizes down with it.

With Nero, as I said, even the smallest change in picture size, or even rotating 90 degrees and then back to original without trimming anything will drop the file size to 1/3rd original. Doesn't get much simpler than that, and if you do trim it down a little, the file size gets progressively smaller from there. (As long as you don't "Emboss" it like I did on that last picture which doubled the file size)
Old 07-06-2012, 05:07:55 PM
Registered

Default Picasa revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
When I temporarily 'lost' my Nero, I downloaded several different 'free' photo edit programs, including Picasa, and it did seem to be the easiest to use of the "free" ones I tried, but after being Spoiled with Nero, I still wasn't real happy with Picasa.
Picasa came out with an upgrade a few months back. It added some new Edit Tabs and changed some issues with the older version. Under those new tabs are new editing features.

BUT, for basic editing you basically stick with the basic editing commands, basically: Rotate (two arrows below image rotate the image 90° to the left or right), Straighten (top-middle icon on Tab #1), Crop (top-left icon on Tab #1), Tuning (Tab #2 — use to lighten & darken — only use slider #2 and slider #3 — use #2 slider first), and Export (which is the only way to significantly reduce file size using compression and re-sizing of image dimensions). I also use Retouch to remove major blemishes.

If anyone out there is just starting out with editing software, regardless of what program you select, please make extra copies of your image files to try working with the new software. To make a copy of a file in Windows Explorer: right-click on file name and then select “Copy” and then right-click in open area and select “Paste”). If you don’t have an icon for Winders Explorer, perform a search for it using the Windows Icon at the very-bottom-left of your desktop, then (depending on your version of Windows) you can right-click and select “Make Shortcut” or “Pin to Taskbar”. It’s always good to be able to manage your files and create folders, etc. For an easy way to start Windows Explorer in Windows 7 (and maybe some other versions) you can double-left-click on the Recycle Bin and then click on the middle-left name of your hard drive letter (e.g., C). BUT, ALWAYS BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU START WORKING WITH FILES IN WINDOWS EXPLORER!!! You can put the files somewhere such that some software may not be able to readily find the files again, or other such issues. Use with care, or ask others for help first.

As always, the more you work with a program the more you’ll develop skills using it, so practice with copies of your images. Good luck to all.

Brian S.
Right-Click Nerd
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian S. For This Post:
Old 07-06-2012, 05:33:35 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Picasa revisited

If it's just been in the last few months that they made changes, I must have been using the older version, but I did crop and edit thousands of pictures with it during the several months I had it until I was able to get my Nero back with the computer reset.

Picasa was the best of what I could find in the 'free' programs, but it left A LOT to be desired. I don't know what all has been changed on it since then, but for my use with several hundred pictures a week on a slow week, and into the thousands per week at times, Nero is hands down The Easiest to use, AND it automatical resizes the pictures with even the smallest changes made so you can do two steps in one.

I do agree with the statement about making a copy before playing around with ANY of the programs until you are familiar with them, but I go through hundreds of pictures a day sometimes just doing a simple tweek on each of them initially just to drop the files sizes on them for storage purposes. Ones I want to upload here or on eBay, I go back and crop, rotate etc., for the best picture for uploading. I have over 80,000 pictures on my computer, so space is at a premium.

Last edited by OTTO-Sawyer; 07-06-2012 at 06:33:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-06-2012, 05:48:37 PM
Registered

Otto: With so many files I hope you have a back-up system, such as a 1 Tb auxiliary drive (I have an HP) or some sort of off-site storage system (best). That's good advice for anyone here.

But, even if the image files were each 1.5 Mb that's only 120 Gb. What PC hard drive would have trouble holding that? I have a LOT of image files and my old HP PC drive is barely ¼ full. I did a quick tally and found I have about 40K image files myself, although half would be exports.

Brian S.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:31:35 PM
Subscriber

I should but I don't..... Lost about 30,000 of them on my old computer when I died on me. I'm guessing they're still in the hard drive if I ever get to where I can afford to swap it into another computer. I do have some of my older pictures saved onto disc, and some saved to flash drives, but most of them will end up gone again..... Never been one for backing things up, which is kind of odd concidering I'm a hoarder. You'd think I'd have several back up copies of everything.

At least the ones worth sharing (& maybe a few that aren't) are already uploaded on here.....

I guess I did buy an external hard drive and copied EVERYTHING to it one time a year or so ago, but there are thousands more pictures on it since then. And I just happened to think, I probably only have maybe half of those 80,000 plus files edited, so many of them are still at 3MB each, and maybe 400-500 of the files are videos of varying lengths and sizes.

Obviously I SHOULD back everything up again one of these days. I also need to go through and delete maybe 3/4 of my pictures as a lot of them are duplicates anyway and/or multiple images of stuff I sold on eBay and still have the pictures saved.

We're probably getting a bit off subject here though as this thread was on the resizing and posting of pictures, but at the same time, yes it is good advice to back up the system. I just haven't done it like I should.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:19:50 PM
Registered

I went to my owners manual and found the setting (megapixals)
they suggest for posting pictures on internet and set my camera to that. I use a canon. can't remember with out looking at it what setting it is. I tried resizing for a while but it sucked. I think i even lost some photos. Try it that's what i do for enginads and craigs.

Buckshot
The Following User Says Thank You to Buckshot For This Post:
Old 07-06-2012, 07:38:34 PM
Registered

Default Auxiliary Storage is a MUST

Here’s just one possibility of a 1 Tb desktop storage drive (my HP 1 Tb unit was only $99 with free S/H when I bought it a while back): http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/hom...nal-Hard-Drive. Ideally, you should have multiple auxiliary desktop drives. Even more idealer would be to store one of your multiple desktop auxiliary drives off-site at a relative or friend’s home.

The one I have has HP SureStore software. When you use it the software only backs up the files changed since the previous backup, so that greatly minimizes the time required to process the backup from hours to minutes. I love it. I also use it the old-fashioned way and just save all the data folders on my drive into a folder labeled with the date on the auxiliary drive (just in case the software goofs).

I really want to go to a Carbonite-esque system of on-line data back-up (example: http://www.carbonite.com). But, my upload speed is so slow that’ll take days to back up things initially. Anyone who edits images wants to make sure they don’t get lost to a hard-drive or PC crash. Crashes happen — take it from one who’s been through that. By shear dumb luck my data were backed up just days before. That $99 on the 1 Tb drive was very well spent.

This should be on-topic for this thread as anyone with photos and scans on their PC drive should somehow back them up. Although I will say that this topic isn’t perhaps exactly related to steam. That is, unless your PC drive is steam powered. My buddy says his mother-in-law’s PC is hot-air powered. I wonder how that works? Is it anything like steam power?

Brian S.
Computer Storage Nerd
Old 05-14-2013, 12:44:23 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,013 Posts

Hi all,..
just thought i would post a few of my thoughts here as well;trying to upload here is current with me as i am currently failing the course.I have a few old boiler pics i want to post for a friend but can't make it.
I am one of those already mentioned who will give up and move on if it is not simple.
I have read in this thread about things from another planet,written in hieroglyphics,..like folders(i have seen a big folder that will fold up to half inch steel plate) and url's (those are the two i can spell)..the other vague nebulous cybercloud already carefully mapped and detailed here in order to post my friends boiler pics makes me nauseus,..sorry to say it.
Please?..before i go any further i mean to be very carefully respectful of all previous contributions to this thread;i'm simply wanting to be open and honest,..but i am sure reading here that there is certain to be a group of users,possibly large (i am one at least),..who have no idea what you are describing,..and it's fairly certain will not entertain trying to understand or learn.
One previous description(excellent i am sure) lost me after "toolbar"(not joking btw).I haven't needed so far to know what my toolbar does!..and i don't really want to,.. but i usually have no problem uploading pics anywhere that i have previously been.
To change tack for a moment,it has been my observation in life that it is not uncommon to see that the individual who brings the least to a group,often is the one who wants the most from it,..and today ,in smokstak,that hat could fit me.
People who have slaved here for years to build and carry the thing are asked by someone who has contributed very little;has mostly used it so far(the website) to do a little of his own grandstanding;asked by that 'blow in' to"keep it simple"or to make an improvement.
I am one of those who will live with trying to post a time or two and then not be able to participate because the process (to me)is moving in a code that i don't even begin to recognise.
To try an analogy here,..i can play musical instruments,write songs,and know enough about chords,rythm and melody to be able to teach another the song;nothing special about that,..i know plenty of people who can do that,..but if you want to communicate with me formally,in the correct code,using 'music' which is in fact the proper language in that field?....i will not understand anything you are talking about,..and YOU may not even be able to play or write a song like myself!
I guess i want to take a risk and say that "i think you are inviting a group of people to paticipate here who are often incredibly smart about mechanical engineering,but largely luddite or at best novice in computer skills".
That's my own opinon at least,...and if it is in any way an accurate generalisation?..(i think)we are a group 'least likely' to keenly develop computer skills.
I am sure that i am not alone when i say"i cheer!..every time i hear of another computer user advancement that comes to the fore that makes something possible for me on the net without stress ,and without me having to understand how it happens.
I want to suggest that the photo upload system used here in SMOKSTAK is only straightforward to use if the photo is lucky enough to be small enough(whatever mega jigger gigger might mean?).
I ask for grace to be extended towards me from any reader who might feel put out by my posing that statement.
I am very grateful to the creators of this site for the fun it has provided in the short time since i have dropped by,but i hope you are able to look at simplifying the photo upload process.(hoping it is actually physically possible)
This is probably the only time i will raise this subject,..remembering my place as a guest to the site.
I will continue to write and join in and post the pics that will post,without complaint.
Thanks for providing a great hub for our hobby.
Sincerely,Paul.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:39:51 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,614 Times in 1,677 Posts
Smile Re: Resizing and Posting Photos

here what it is for me an ole timer time i read all this do this do that i forget do i turn left or right you can see . so for now i get some one here at the stak that allreadys know how to do this.. i suffer with BPPV the worst case of virtigo and the computer screen most of the time it makes me dizzy. any how thanks for the post .
Old 05-14-2013, 12:03:06 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,074 Times in 493 Posts

Suggestion1 : Get a son, daughter, niece nephew or neighbor or friends child to teach you a few things about the computer. Or younger coworker. My 5 yrs old niece can call me on her mothers cell phone! Its an apple phone, I have no clue how it works.

Suggestion 2: Take a community college night school course. That is how I learned how to run a lathe and mill. Low cost and a fun time. I also took a steam boiler fireman's course.

These days, running a computer is as essential as reading and writing were 50 years ago. It not able, you are totally up against it. I tried to hand my paper resume in at a company HQ. They refused it. I had to go online with a word doc. Registry Motor Vehicle - online.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:46:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,174 Times in 546 Posts

Paul I can understand your frustration because I went through it. Thirty years ago I said I don't want any stinking computer. But being a serious collector I was forced (kicking and screaming) into getting a computer and into Ebay because I wanted to buy and sell. Then I had to put away my Cannon 35 mm SLR and get a digital camera. Then my pictures were too large to upload so I got Adobe photo shop. Then I was able to resize, lighten, darken,and touch up the color and more. I had learn how to do it. When I first learned to drive They wouldn't let me drive in the indy 500. When I got out of first grade I knew everything but they wouldn't give me a high school diploma they said that I had a lot more to learn. It sounds like your still in first grade with computers and will need to continue your schooling. I think that you should find a computer wiz who wants to learn to read and write music and trade your knowledge with each other. Ron