Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

'29 McCormick Deering 10-20 help needed

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1645 times

Old 07-15-2011, 09:22:51 AM
Registered

Smile '29 McCormick Deering 10-20 help needed

Hello,
I have a '29 Mccormick Deering 10-20. I have a few bugs I need help working out.
I have a Bosch (i think E4B) mag. the mag trips at TDC, but when I advance the timing it is going to far. Do I need to change the timing in the Mag, so it fires at TDC, but is timed retarded? Aslo, do you start with timing advanced, or in the middle?
second is the Carb. I put a new needle and seat on it to lessen the fuel bill. but I do not have the jets set right. It seems to have too much fuel with choke on, not enough with the choke off. The screw at the bottom is 2 1/2 turn out. screw on the top is 1/2 turn out. Does this sound right.
Thank you for the help. Tyler
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2011, 10:26:04 AM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts
Default Re: '29 McCormick Deering 10-20 help needed

Tyler,
They reproduce the instruction manual for the 10-20's, more than likely Jensales has it. Get that and it will show you how to time the mag and also the carb needle settings. Been too long since I adjusted one of the old Ensign carbs, but am thinking it was 1 1/2 turns on one and 2 1/2 turns on the other?

If I remember right (and it's been several years since I worked a lot on IHC's) the mag should be timed TDC with the lever flipped down. There is a hole on the bellhousing where you can shine a light and see the marks, after you get #1 cylinder on compression stroke TDC. Set it right there, fire #1 on the mag and then see where the bolt holes line up on the coupling. Put your bolts there and you should be set. When cranking the tractor by hand after setting the mag like this I think you should have the spark set back about 3/4 of the way or so. It shouldn't be advanced far, or it'll kick back on you!

Mike M
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post: