Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Speaking of hoarding

this thread has 39 replies and has been viewed 2109 times

Old 12-19-2001, 03:09:30 PM
Steve Gerot

Default Speaking of hoarding

Where I live there are several people nearby with large collections of antiques mostly cars & trucks,but also engines. They have been out doors rotting into the ground for years. The owners refuse to shelter or sell them. One guy has about 20 acres packed full and another has probably 10 acres of complete units rotting away.The guy with the largest collection has a very early Ford T in At this time in very good condition in a Garage that has collapsed on it. Soon it will be the same as all the other stuff. I just don't understand their way of thinking. A friend and I used to shake our heads and laugh at these people. Now my friend is doing the same thing. He will buy stuff bring some of it to drivable condition then park it and let it rot. I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS WAY OF THINKING
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2001, 03:56:47 PM
NICK

Default Re: Speaking of hoarding

I know of several engines wasting away yet their owners refuse to sell. A very elderly gent has about a dozen engines under his barn, he's probably not seen them himself in many years. He refused to sell and even said he would have them junked rather than sell! Makes you wonder sometimes....
Old 12-19-2001, 05:30:24 PM
Mik

Default Simple...

What's mine is MINE! . . . . . And YOU can't have it...nyah!,nyah!,nyah!
Old 12-19-2001, 05:54:06 PM
Tom Winland

I know of alot of oil field engines like this. I know of a 8 HP Reid just a couple of miles from my house and the guy won't sell it. This guy has probably 20 different engines and won't part with any. He has one 15 HP Reid that he tore the pump house down so that his cattle wouldn't get in it and get hurt. This engine was in running order a couple of years ago but I'm sure that it is only getting worse off every year that it sits out in the open. I have to drive by it every time I go home and man does that just give me a sick feeling seeing it go to waste.

Tom Winland
Old 12-19-2001, 06:35:58 PM
Ed Jablonski

Default Re: Speaking of hoarding Something to think about

Well lets look at it this way. Years ago people used to give these engines away they were scrap to them. Then instead of a hobby . A few people turned it into a big business with big money and it hasn't changed. Cant tell you how many engines I know of that went over the 15000.00 mark this year alone.Maybe this person feels your in to make a buck no matter what your intention may be. Try this next time " Hi I'm a collector of old engines and I'd like to save YOUR ENGINES from yourself". Kind of insultive isnt it? Lucky you dont get buckshot up the wazoo instead of a "NO". I feel a persons property is there's to decide what they want to do no matter how good your intent is. You wouldn't like the goverment telling you what to do or what to sell .I'm sure there's plenty of guys around that were responsible for scrapping engines in the 40's and 50's where were they then? . but now its different because the dollar sign is attached to it.

Just another way of looking at things

Ed
Old 12-19-2001, 06:36:14 PM
Bill D.

I was talking to a fellow collector this summer at a show and he was telling me of an engine, a Woodpecker I believe, that he knew of. The engine sat in a fence row rusting away. He asked the gentleman that owned the property if he wanted to sell it. The man asked what he would give for it. The buyer mentioned the condition the engine was in and said he would give him X amount of dollars for it. Well, the owner just about went through the roof. He rambled on something about how "you guys" want engines for practicly nothing so you can sell them for a profit.

If people want to hoard stuff that's fine. But they should at least try to keep the stuff from rotting away so that when it is finally sold or they do get around to restoring it, the damage isn't so bad.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:55:45 PM
SAM

SOMETIMES A EASY SOLUTION, YOU HAVE TO FIND SOMETHING THEY WANT OR NEED OR WOULD RATHER HAVE.I HAVE OBTAINED TWO ENGINES THIS WAY.ONE I TRADED NATIVE AMERICAN ARTIFACTS FOR. THE OTHER THE OLE BOY'S HEAVY EARTHMOVER WAS BROKE DOWN SWAPPED OUT WELDING FOR A SIX HP NOVO,HAD BEEN TRYING TO BUY IT FOR A LONG TIME CAUGHT HIM AT THE RIGHT TIME AND GOT IT.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:51:07 PM
Pete

I think we all have heard those stories. I know it is their property,,,,,but this is history,,,,and they almost have an obligation to keep it alive. Theres a guy near me the same way. He has several stationary gas engines on his property and he won't sell diddly. And this guy is active in the hobby. Most are uncovered and the weather is just taking its toll on his stuff. There was another old junkyard near me and the guy wouldn't sell anything for years. He had around 10 acres of old autos,,,,,model A's, model T's, ect. Well guess what,,,,,,,,he finally passed on and another guy got all the cars for just hauling them away,,,of course by then, they were so rusted out,,wasn't much value. Doesn't make much sense sometimes. On the other end of the spectrum,,,,it is dissappointing when you find an engine that is really in rough shape, and you think you might be able to bring it back to life, but the misinformed seller, thinks its worth a million bucks. I guess its all part of the game.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:11:58 PM
richard

Hello,

Maybe if you had a set of pictures of your engines as you were restoring and then after, would help, maybe even some of them at shows displaying them. Also if you could talk them into coming to a local show to see you showing them might help.

The ones I have a problem with are the ones that plan on restoring the engine/tractor/car when they get around to it, (been planning on getting around to it for 20 years now). A lot of times I say ok and check in with them a few times for the next year or so to see how its going, (usally little change or a down turn in the condition) sometimes I just ask if they would allow me to help them restore it (makes them squirm a little!) and they'll flat refuse then I decide it's just a lost cause and find something else to buy. Thats all you can do!
Old 12-19-2001, 09:32:54 PM
Randy Hart

A neighbor of mine had an old car in the side yard and was always being asked to sell it.. One day I was over to visit and another guy came by and asked to buy the car.. he said no.. I asked Joe why dont you sell the car if you dont plan to use it again ? He said, 1. I dont need the money 2. I really dont know the true value and I dont want to be taken 3. And it's kind of nice meeting some of the people who come to try and buy it!

The other statement made by owners of things I want to buy that kills me is...A neighbor told me he saw one of those sell for $1,000.00's and mine looked better than that one ! Q:How do you turn that line into an engine in the back of the truck headed home ? Randy Hart Ohio