Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 6.5 NH Brush Wiring

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 748 times

Old 03-05-2018, 11:01:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,428 Posts
Default Re: Onan 6.5 NH Brush Wiring

I wonder why the control box was unbolted and left hanging? The get sufficient access to the brush blocks, the control box does not need to be removed. This is why I asked what kind of repair shop did you bring it too?

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Wildacres00, If you click on the link that nothingbutdarts posted in post #5 in and then forward to post #107 in the link's thread, I start writing about the brush block and bearing all the way through post #141. The wiring diagram and schematics in your manual will be a big help too. Take time and read through post #107 through #141 and ask questions if needed. Please ignore the flux capacitor references. I never found one in my 6.5NH

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2018, 05:10:49 AM
Sponsor

the only reason I can think of for a 1200 price is the bearing spun in the housing
and they quoted the current new part price

or is it the James brothers generator repair.
[Jesse and Frank]
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV
The Following User Says Thank You to armandh For This Post:
Old 03-06-2018, 08:53:13 AM
Registered

It was taken to a motor shop. What’s worse is that they charged my Dad $95.00 to take it apart and tell him what’s wrong. When my Dad asked why so much the guys response was “it’s a really old unit, hard to find parts for and the owner does’nt like working on them”. The end bell is in fine condition and I’ll have to press the outer portion of the bearing out since the bearing came out in pieces. It was running when the bearing froze and stopped running all of a sudden, so I tried turning it over and it wouldn’t turn over so I thought the engine locked up. This generator was being used at my camp in the Everglades so it took me a while to bring it home. I ordered the end bell bearing, how important is cutting the notch in the bearing for anti rotation? I’ll check that post out. Thanks for the info.

Besides taking the end bell apart, he also took the cylinder heads off. I was able to rotate the fly wheel with the heads pulled with moderate pressure applied. Is it necessary to change the head gaskets? Normally I wouldn’t ask that question but the gaskets look good, I cleaned the heads and lightly sanded them with scotch brite.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:05:30 AM
Subscriber

Wow.. when it froze, were you able to rotate the motor? Or did it appear to be seized? Maybe the shop thought the motor was seized therefore tore apart the motor by removing the heads and whatever else we are not aware of. After they tore it apart they discovered a seized bell end bearing. There is absolutely no reason to remove the heads for a bell end bearing replacement.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 03-06-2018, 11:33:14 AM
Registered

They probably pulled the heads because it was easy enough to verify the crank wasn’t froze. The ball bearings fell out when they pulled the end bell. I was able to rotate the fan some before it started slipping, that’s when my buddy said He thought it was a gen bearing this was before we took it out of the Everglades.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:53:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,488 Times in 6,839 Posts

I wont get into how many ways you have been screwed over. This job would have taken me maybe three hours at most. On the bench. Wish I could be there to help you. The head gaskets should be ok. Wasn't any reason to pull them in the first place. Just pull the spark plugs. Parts for these things are all over the place. I have a 1932 Onan I can still find parts for. So I am sure you can still get parts for your 1985 model. Yes you need to make a notch in the bearing. Simple and easy to do.

Last edited by Billy J Shafer; 03-06-2018 at 12:09:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:17:45 PM
Registered

Thanks Billy. Yeah Sparkplugs would’ve made sense, now I have no idea why they pulled the heads. Ive been able to find some parts through searching here. The end bell bearing should be here soon. I ordered a SKF 6205-2RS1for the endbell.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:33:39 PM
Subscriber

Did the butcher's return the bearing notch clip? They want nothing to do with that generator at this point and may be the reason for such a high repair price. If you agreed on the price it would big $$$$ , but a headache for them since they may not be familiar with the basics of these generators.

If you lived nearby, we could put it back together in my garage for a pizza and a 6 pack providing those butchers gave back all the parts they removed.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 03-06-2018, 05:49:08 PM
Registered

Appreciate the offer JohnnyC. The clip and outer race are still in place. The tech was the son of the owner. Maybe they figured we’d leave it where it sits instead of taking it home when they gave the price to repair but that’s just speculation on my part.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:12:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,488 Times in 6,839 Posts

Since you have taken it back. Stick with the guys on this site. Plenty of people here to help you. We can get you the manuals and help you need all for free. Get the manuals and study them. It is not that hard of a job and we can walk you through it.

903-536-2816 home most days after five.