Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Thoughts on Feeding Fuel to Generators

this thread has 40 replies and has been viewed 1529 times

Old 02-23-2018, 04:06:46 PM
Registered-I

Default Thoughts on Feeding Fuel to Generators

Hi guys

some think or cringe about feeding a bigger genset. Some even a JC makes them cringe

2 gallons per hour on a JC isnt bad if you think of it this way.

my truck gets 8 miles per gallon. at 60mph that little over 7 gallons per hour driving. Looking at it that way. The JC is much more efficient.

8x7 = 56.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2018, 04:36:50 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Gas thought feeding Generators

The one drawback to having a liquid fueled generator is, when the chips are down and there is no power to the commercial district in town.. .and the gas pumps or diesel pumps aren't functioning.. when you run out of gas .... at 2 gallons per hour or whatever... you're in the same boat as the folks with no standby power.

You just have power one day longer.

Reading elsewhere about what people do about supplying fuel.. I did read that someone had made a little tube that they'd slip down the filler neck of an automobile/truck gas tank and let their generator fuel pump siphon fuel out of the vehicle tank.

When that supply starts to run low... at least you can still drive the vehicle to go look for gas/diesel. Don't have to load up a bunch of cans, or whatever.

I think where this solution would come in handy would be if you were using one of them Honda/Yamaha/Horrible Freight inverter gensets that only rev's up enough to carry the load... and otherwise throttles down to near idle with a light load.

To me that is a desirable feature... it'd be nice to leave the generator running all night.. .when all you've got running is an electric blanket, a night light.. and maybe the heater blower motor. You're not using 7,500 watts of power.. but your 2 or 4 cylinder generator is still using a lot of fuel idling along with a light load.

Our 2 or 4 cylinder generators, even at no load, are going to be sucking more gas than those I mentioned.

It's nice to have the electrical capacity to be able to start a big Air Conditioner without even thinking about it with our generators, but the fuel sipping inverter types would make your limited fuel supply last much longer.

There are drawbacks to both....
Old 02-23-2018, 05:01:54 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,384 Posts

My latest acquisition, a 30EK, is rated to use about 5 GPH of gasoline at full load. I am not bothered at all by that figure, here is why-

My RDJC has run 25 hours in the last 7 years, with about 8 of those being the result of a utility outage. If I had used the 30EK instead for every outage, I would have used no more than 40 gallons of fuel, and probably half that much since the load is often very light. Gasoline has averaged about $3/gallon, so less than $20 a year for fuel. No big thing, compared to an unhappy wife looking at a dead hair dryer, TV that won't play or half done supper.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 05:11:55 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Hi guys

some think or cringe about feeding a bigger genset. Some even a JC makes them cringe

2 gallons per hour on a JC isnt bad if you think of it this way.

my truck gets 8 miles per gallon. at 60mph that little over 7 gallons per hour driving. Looking at it that way. The JC is much more efficient.

8x7 = 56.
I guess it depends on what your driving. If your vehicle got 30-40 miles a gallon, the numbers would change.
Ray
Old 02-23-2018, 05:16:17 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,758 Times in 4,184 Posts

Worst case senerio makes me cringe. 8 years ago neighborhood behind me had a 1 week outage in COLD winter after ice storm (also some people in Maine were out for 1-2 months). After that I bought a gen to be able to run oil furnace to make heat here in below freezing NH. Given cold high winds in March might have to run gen continuously to stay warm.

Even at no-load JC = 1 gal/hr x 24 hours x 7 days x ($2.50/gal) = $420/week ........or $1830/month
My electric utility bill is only $90/month

Truck analogy seems apples and oranges since vehicles usually don't run continuously 24/7 as I might have to to make heat.

Last edited by len k; 02-23-2018 at 05:37:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 05:25:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,545 Times in 906 Posts

I have a couple of options for fueling ,I have a 650L tidy tank of diesel in my garage. since most of my sets are in the 7-8 Kw range that is good for about 6 weeks. I also have a couple of gerry cans of gasoline available for my Honda 2000 or 3000 inverter sets but I don't expect to be using them much. I have a natural gas line to my garage but don't have any NG sets right now. When the power is off it is nice to have options of what fuel to use depending on duration of outage and availability of fuels locally. I am not too concerned with the cost of fuel when the power is off , it is satisfaction enough that I keep the lights on. Cheers Dan
Old 02-23-2018, 05:32:00 PM
Registered-I

Well the truck stop 10 miles away has a huge cat generator. it seems to always have power. my JC will be tapped into a gas tank on my truck which is 53 gallons. . So cold nights i can run gas furnaces off the 12 volt house batteries. The refrigerator and lights will run as well off the batteries.

back to your gas thoughts. if i had to i could always go back to propane temporarily until I found gasoline. as im using 2 - 40lb bottles to feed it now till my gasoline parts are

---------- Post added at 05:30:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29:42 PM ----------

[

Chevrolet Kodiak C4500 is my daily driver.

---------- Post added at 05:32:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lynch View Post
I guess it depends on what your driving. If your vehicle got 30-40 miles a gallon, the numbers would change.
Ray
Chevrolet Kodiak C4500 is my daily driver.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:47:31 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,758 Times in 4,184 Posts

I got a 7kw NHM in case my furnace and fridge started at same time. Now looking at 1 week fuel consumption I could get by with ~ 2-4kw gen and more load management.

Last week I worked on my car gas tank. Used gen's fuel pump to transfer ~ 20 gal of gas to another car. Problem was hose I stuck down filler spout sucked air even at 1/2 full. Had to keep playing with it to get tank to empty.

Problem is some gens like NHD/NHE/NHM might kill voltage reg if run out of fuel under good load. So want to be sure fuel supply doesn't randomly drop out. Was cold but next time tank comes down I'll add a bulkhead tap.

PS ... Be carefull to leave some gas in car. I did manage to completely empty my car tank (93 chev caprice, afterwards it stalled when moved it). So I added a gallon of gas and drove it to gas station a mile away. As I braked car stalled as gas sloshed away from center of tank (pump). These new cars with pump in tank and fuel "injectors" need a CONTINUOUS supply of gas pressure, they don't store 15 seconds of fuel in a carb bowl like old cars did. Tank has baffle to keep gas near pump , tank stores ~3 gal before gauge comes up to empty as slosh insurance.

Big city here with bunch of utility sub stations, so always some gas station with power. least 20 within 4 miles.

Last edited by len k; 02-23-2018 at 06:30:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:16:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,280 Times in 6,737 Posts

This is all well and good. But when the power is off and moma needs a heat or cooling source. The amount of gas and cost. Doesn't really matter.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:20:48 PM
Registered-I

Or when its 100 degrees outside and 85 at night. Air conditioning is priceless!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to consolenut For This Post: