Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

4 pole generator winding numbering system

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2356 times

Old 01-01-2006, 12:07:40 AM
Registered-II

Exclamation 4 pole generator winding numbering system

I have searched the forums, and can't find the info I'm looking for, so here goes...I have a US light power 5.5kw 115 volt 4 pole genset. The unit is electric start via the generator windings. The wires coming out of the case are labeled T1-T2-T3-T4-F1-A1. T1 thru T4 are directly off the brushes. There is a stud screwed into the frame which has T1-T3-F1-A1 all hooked to it. This stud also provides one of my AC "legs" (T1). My other "leg" is comprised of T2 and T4 tied together with T2 being the "leg". I get 115 volts by going across T1 and T2. So my question is this; Is T1 my neutral, and T2 is HOT? This would mean T1 is bonded to ground on the stud? Any help/ideas is appreciated. Shootist
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2006, 04:47:08 AM
In Memory Of

Default Re: 4 pole generator winding numbering system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootist357
I have searched the forums, and can't find the info I'm looking for, so here goes...I have a US light power 5.5kw 115 volt 4 pole genset. The unit is electric start via the generator windings. The wires coming out of the case are labeled T1-T2-T3-T4-F1-A1. T1 thru T4 are directly off the brushes. There is a stud screwed into the frame which has T1-T3-F1-A1 all hooked to it. This stud also provides one of my AC "legs" (T1). My other "leg" is comprised of T2 and T4 tied together with T2 being the "leg". I get 115 volts by going across T1 and T2. So my question is this; Is T1 my neutral, and T2 is HOT? This would mean T1 is bonded to ground on the stud? Any help/ideas is appreciated. Shootist
I have to ask, not being familiar with the make of generator: Is this an AC slipring or DC commutator set? or even both? (AC output and DC starting)

From what you have said, the connection to the frame should be treated as the neutral and T2/T4 the live or 'hot' leg. If you have an earth connection to the set 'frame/ground' this would make sense also.

F1 is probably one end of the field winding, and A1 is the end from the regulator or hand resistance on the panel.

Peter
Old 01-01-2006, 09:22:55 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: 4 pole generator winding numbering system

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListerDiesel
I have to ask, not being familiar with the make of generator: Is this an AC slipring or DC commutator set? or even both? (AC output and DC starting)

From what you have said, the connection to the frame should be treated as the neutral and T2/T4 the live or 'hot' leg. If you have an earth connection to the set 'frame/ground' this would make sense also.

F1 is probably one end of the field winding, and A1 is the end from the regulator or hand resistance on the panel.

Peter

It is both AC-DC as you described with the DC commutator start. A1 I have no clue on. It is actually 2 wires hooked together and tagged A1. I see no regulation methods, or any resistors in the head. This is a very old well built unit. The only electronics I've found are 4 large capacitors, one for each set of brushes. HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!! Shootist