Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan LT II Transfer Switch JB 7.5

this thread has 105 replies and has been viewed 4788 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2017, 10:58:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,009 Times in 1,671 Posts
Default Re: Onan LT II Transfer Switch / JB 7.5

Leon, what you did back in the blizzard in the 1970's is what I did during Hurricane Irene and Sandy, but the neighbors were my tenants. Worked very well, just took time to setup when the power went out. I think I can simplify things a bit using an ATS. I just need to figure out how under the circumstances outlined earlier.

Wayne, I need to "take ownership" during the power outages. Yes, I am the landlord and property owner. If I don't provide power during extended outages I will be the one to loose especially if I provide only myself power.

The following can and will occur during extended power outages if I don't provide for the house and tenants.

1) When their fridge goes without power and defrosts, it will leak and can go through the floor into a tenant's room below. This HAS happened one time in the past. Initially I though a pipe broke, but it was only the freezer part of the fridge that defrosted and leaked. In addition, if the tenant's food goes bad due to no electric, I know they will try to collect from me although I point out in their signed "rental agreement" that I will not be responsible and they are encouraged to apply for renters insurance. I can tell you I never had a single tenant apply for renters insurance. My relationship with my tenants ids very good and they always pay on time without reminders. Also, all my tenants have been with me for for several years. I don't want to upset this relationship.

2) No power, no heat or AC depending on the season. If there is no heat, the pipes can freeze and break. That is a major $$$$ for repair although I do all the plumbing (5 bathrooms, 3 laundry rooms, 3 kitchens, and heating system - hot water baseboard).

3) If power goes out and if their rooms become uninhabitable due to excessive heat or cold depending on the season, they will have no choice to go to a hotel or where ever there is electric for their needs. That could be expensive and without doubt they will try to deduct their expenses from their monthly rent. I hear about this all the time. I am a member for the past 16 years on a popular landlord forum on the web too and there is discussion on this from time to time.

There may be many more reasons, but I got to get leave now to do a welding job for a landscaper's mower that broke down due to metal stress cracks in the frame.

JohnnyC
New Jersey