Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Fuel hoses deteriorated by ethanol

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 5372 times

Old 01-27-2010, 01:05:38 PM
Registered-I

Unhappy Fuel hoses deteriorated by ethanol

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with fuel hose issues. The standard 1/4" rubber fuel hose that I currently have on all of my Onan equipment has started to leak, deteriorate and harden. I don't use this my equipment very regularly but do start all on a monthly basis and let them run for thirty or so minutes. My problem is that my filters and carbs are filling with small black particles and sludge. I also run my gas out when i'm done. I have been told that certain fuel injection hose has a multifuel capability(but none claim to be alcohol friendly and $7 a foot). I have found also that boat fuel hose says alcohol resistant but can't find any in 1/4". The boat hose is 5/16" and 3/8" and is only $3.50 a foot. My but was easy but has 3/8" hose. I guess I could change all of my fuel hoses to 5/16" but that means changing all of my fuel fittings, filters and fuel shutoff valves. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2010, 01:13:37 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Fuel hoses deteriorated by ethanol

I had the same problem with a Mercury 15 Hp outboard. I found some small fuel lines at a motorcycle dealer that seems to hold up to the ethanal gasoline. It is a real problem for older rubber lines on engines. Merton
Old 01-27-2010, 02:00:02 PM
Subscriber

The fuel line you want to use is made of Viton, We use when we run Methanol on our race bikes. Kinda pricey but it does not deteriorate when exposed to methanol (we run it at 100%).
Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:17:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,395 Times in 1,158 Posts

Lighthouse marine supply / partman.com has the 1/4" marine fuel hose. 2.95 per ft. I.d. 12-360-0140-1 get ready. The government has mandated 15 percent ethanol this year. Al gore has his head up his, well you know. The corn we put in the fuel could feed millions of hungry kid around the world. All it does is knock the fuel economy by as much as 12 percent on some vehicles, which means more gas in the atmosphere. This will not work. We have completely lost all say in what this government does.

Rod
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 02:24:09 PM
Registered-I

Smile Re: Fuel hoses deteriorated by ethanol

thanks guys! got some on order!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:34:21 PM
Registered-III

So what does this so called gasoline do to the gaskets rubber parts inside carbs fuel pumps . So what can we put in the gas before we use it to stop all the problems associated with todays fuels. I drive an 18 wheeler were having algae problems in our diesel fuel . You fellas who use diesel better put in additave that kills this stuff.

Ronny
Old 01-27-2010, 02:43:02 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Fielder View Post
Lighthouse marine supply / partman.com has the 1/4" marine fuel hose. 2.95 per ft. I.d. 12-360-0140-1 get ready. The government has mandated 15 percent ethanol this year. Al gore has his head up his, well you know. The corn we put in the fuel could feed millions of hungry kid around the world. All it does is knock the fuel economy by as much as 12 percent on some vehicles, which means more gas in the atmosphere. This will not work. We have completely lost all say in what this government does.

Rod
Your supposed to loose 12% or more fuel economy, thats the whole idea. They need more spending money. They make money on the all the govt and road taxs you pay per drop of gas. I started injecting propane into the intake of my truck, i have almost doubled my gas fuel economy. Propane is not cheap, but im saving money, and not paying my taxes...hahahahaha
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbyz72 For This Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 04:40:57 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,059 Posts

You might also look to a small engine shop/parts store. STENS has a yellow hose available in I know 1/4 inch that is very good. I have been using the smaller sizes on weedeaters and chainsaw fuel systems. I have some on a personal weedeater. I put it on about 10 years ago. I changed it last summer when I was having some issue which turn out to NOT be fuel related. The line was still plyable but stiffer than new line. I change it as I was somewhat lost on the problem. The problem turned out to be a sparkplug which to the eye did not look bad. LOOK for TYGON FUEL LINE It cost about $2.00 per foot for the 1/4 inch.

Kent
Old 01-27-2010, 07:36:32 PM
Subscriber

go to your local hobby shop that deals in large scale airplanes and model boats, they should have fuel line in the size you need, and most of our models run nitromethane.