Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

I hate meses to pieces (How do I keep the mice out?)

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 2277 times

Old 04-27-2016, 05:21:40 PM
Subscriber

Default I hate meses to pieces (How do I keep the mice out?)

When I put my Kohler light plant away fro the winter I tape over every opening (intake exhaust, vents ETC.) remove the controls cover, put in mothballs, Remove the generator end bell cover and put in mothballs Spread around another couple boxes of mothballs, wrap the whole trailer in plastic and taped is shut.

When I cut away the plastic there was a big mouse nest in the radiator fan area. (Nothing in the generator or control panel) Lucky it looks like the nest was never used. No sign of mice waste or dead mice. I washed it out on Saturday and test ran it today and all is well.

How do I keep mice out?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2016, 05:31:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,253 Times in 1,548 Posts
Default Re: i hate meses to pieces (How do I keep the mice out?)

There is a thread on the smokstak about mice and generators my garage is pretty tight mice very seldom get in now this worked for me the car sets in an open add on to the garage well the mice toward winter was always getting under the hood and tearing out insulation and building nest, so last fall late I started setting mouse traps in front of the car on the ground and put cheese or peanut butter on them and to this date I have caught 10 of those pest and there was no mice nest built under the hood all winter.so maybe just buy 4 mice traps at dollar store and bait them up and set them around your generator .luck
Old 04-27-2016, 09:19:58 PM
Subscriber

About the easiest way is to keep an garage/outside cat. Takes care of the mice and repels snakes also.
Jack Hottel
Old 04-28-2016, 06:39:38 AM
Registered-III

Frank,
I had/have the same problem. Best control I've found yet is Decon, the pellet type, not cakes. They don't seem to eat the cakes nearly as much, and back that up with mouse traps near the poison trays, along a wall seems the be the best locations, and as Dan said, try to figure out where they enter.

Some years back, I drained an anti-freeze filled radiator into a bucket to reuse at a later date. The mice seem to go the distance when it comes to falling into it, they just never find their way out. The bucket is still there and I pity the fool who finally empties it, it could be ugly.

GUS
Old 04-29-2016, 06:55:01 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneratorGus View Post
Frank,
I had/have the same problem. Best control I've found yet is Decon, the pellet type, not cakes. They don't seem to eat the cakes nearly as much, and back that up with mouse traps near the poison trays, along a wall seems the be the best locations, and as Dan said, try to figure out where they enter.

Some years back, I drained an anti-freeze filled radiator into a bucket to reuse at a later date. The mice seem to go the distance when it comes to falling into it, they just never find their way out. The bucket is still there and I pity the fool who finally empties it, it could be ugly.

GUS
A 5 gallon plastic bucket with about 1 1/2 inch hole in lid a piece of rope or board for them to climb to the top of bucket with little bit of cat or dog food in bottom is better than traps and poisons, don't have to mess around with resetting traps and other animals not tripping the trap and eating the poison. Put little bit of the poison in the bottom of the bucket with the food if desired.
A outside cat gets them.
I've tried all and a hungry outside cat is the only thing that works for keeping the rats and mice out of my equipment in the country.

HEADS UP!
Research HANTA VIRUS and you will think twice next time you are fooling around with mice and rats.
If you catch it, only nice thing is it acts fast, you will probably expire before they know what's bothering you.
Disinfect all with bleach spray and take precautions when cleaning out mice and rats nests.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arkie For This Post:
Old 05-16-2016, 07:18:25 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: I hate meses to pieces (How do I keep the mice out?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeWitt View Post
How do I keep mice out?
Someone spoke of a "mouse hotel" or "mouse condo" (a bale of straw on the ground covered with a tarp) in another thread. They'd rather move in there. (LeonN, http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...e+hotel&page=3 )

We had mice in our RV one year. The next year we checked around and tried the suggestion of a new box of bounce fabric softener dryer sheets spread around the camper, especially under the cupboards and in the corners. Haven't had any mice in the camper doing that for the last two or three winters. (New box each fall, collect them up in the spring and use them for the clothes.) Seems the mice don't like the smell.

David
Old 01-11-2019, 08:31:08 PM
Subscriber

I ran across another anti mice idea. A guy on a pop up camper thread says he keeps a small box fan running inside his camper. He thinks the noise and moving air keeps them out.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:01:18 PM
Subscriber

Buy a box of fabric softener sheets. The ones you use in a clothes dryer. Place them around where you don't want mice and you will not have them. This does work. I use them in all of my cars. You have to replace with fresh ones once a year.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:38:08 AM
Subscriber

Baits will work, but don't use them in any kind of living space. A pest exterminator put some of those in my basement and I was not aware of it. A mouse got into the bait and died falling into a crevice behind a wall of my cellar stairs. It stunk like hell. Its unbelievable how such a tiny animal can smell so bad when dead. I finally found the mouse using a flashlight and a mirror on a long broom handle. I had to make a hole in the finish wall of my stairwell to get it out. Sealed the hole back up with a metal decorative cover. I used to use spring traps but now I exclusively use the heavy duty glue boards. I place them everywhere. They even help with bugs and spiders too.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:11:11 PM
Registered-I

Be careful using any poison. Heard numerous times about dogs and cats,also other wildlife eating the poisoned mice. You might poison your own pet. Just a thought.