Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

as440 AVR wiring

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 435 times

Old 12-29-2018, 02:33:52 AM
Registered

Default as440 AVR wiring

I am new to this forum, so I hope I got this question posted in the right place, and that someone familiar with the AS440 AVR will be able to help me. I am installing an AS440 voltage regulator in a 20 year old Northern Lights 5.5 KW generator. I chose the AS440 AVR specifically because it has the ability to be configured to power the regulator either directly from the stator windings or from an auxiliary stator winding (which is what I need to do). All the information I have been able to find including the Newage AS440 manual only address configuring it to be powered from the stator. The only information on powering it from the auxiliary winding is that the jumper link between terminals 8 and Z2 needs to be removed. Nothing tells where the two wires from the auxiliary winding are to be connected. I did find elsewhere that one of the leads from the auxiliary winding connects to terminal Z2, but where does the other one connect? It appears to me that if connected to terminal 7, it would be common with one of the main stator winding wires. If connected to terminal 8, it appears to me that it would be common with the other main stator wire, and would be in series with the stator winding. This generator is configured for 110volt single phase, and the auxiliary winding is also 110v. If my assumptions are correct, then connecting the auxiliary winding to terminals 7 and Z2 would result in 110v power to the AVR. If connected to terminals 8 and Z2, then it would be 220v to power the AVR (assuming that the auxiliary and stator windings are in phase). If I am correct, that would probably work the best. I currently am using it wired in conventional mode powering the AVR from the main stator, but that results in a maximum of about 40 volts to the field, and that isn't enough for motor starting. But I'm actually kind of guessing, so I hope someone can help with this?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2018, 06:00:29 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: as440 AVR wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsailor View Post
I am new to this forum, so I hope I got this question posted in the right place, and that someone familiar with the AS440 AVR will be able to help me. I am installing an AS440 voltage regulator in a 20 year old Northern Lights 5.5 KW generator. I chose the AS440 AVR specifically because it has the ability to be configured to power the regulator either directly from the stator windings or from an auxiliary stator winding (which is what I need to do). All the information I have been able to find including the Newage AS440 manual only address configuring it to be powered from the stator. The only information on powering it from the auxiliary winding is that the jumper link between terminals 8 and Z2 needs to be removed. Nothing tells where the two wires from the auxiliary winding are to be connected. I did find elsewhere that one of the leads from the auxiliary winding connects to terminal Z2, but where does the other one connect? It appears to me that if connected to terminal 7, it would be common with one of the main stator winding wires. If connected to terminal 8, it appears to me that it would be common with the other main stator wire, and would be in series with the stator winding. This generator is configured for 110volt single phase, and the auxiliary winding is also 110v. If my assumptions are correct, then connecting the auxiliary winding to terminals 7 and Z2 would result in 110v power to the AVR. If connected to terminals 8 and Z2, then it would be 220v to power the AVR (assuming that the auxiliary and stator windings are in phase). If I am correct, that would probably work the best. I currently am using it wired in conventional mode powering the AVR from the main stator, but that results in a maximum of about 40 volts to the field, and that isn't enough for motor starting. But I'm actually kind of guessing, so I hope someone can help with this?
Since your stator and aux windings are both 110v, you're going to have to run your aux winding in series with a stator winding give you the 220v POWER input to the regulator you need to get the 82v dc the regulator is rated for. Sense input is on 7 and 8, power input is between 7 and z2 - the z2-8 jumper is used if you are using one winding for both sense and power. So, if you have the aux winding phased in the right direction, you could pull the z2-8 jumper, hook your aux winding to z2 and 8, and give 220v power and 110v sensing to the regulator. See http://www.kutai.com.tw/download/adv...-manual-en.pdf for diagrams that may help.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:56:34 PM
Registered

Default Re: as440 AVR wiring

Alan,
Thank you so much. That is exactly what I needed to have confirmed. And thank you for that link. That manual includes the wiring diagram that I spent two days searching the internet trying to find.

Bob