Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 7.5 JB Information Monitoring Panel

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 653 times

Old 11-10-2017, 05:01:21 PM
Registered

Default Re: Onan 7.5 JB Information Monitoring Panel

Maybe a better way to go is a 3 position switch like the one attached. Normally open contact blocks that are activated when the switch is moved to the right or left. Rest position in the center. This way "other people" don't push both at the same time.
https://cdn.automationdirect.com/sta...22mmselect.pdf

Anyone ever try the ultrasonic mice things?

Leon, I travel to Chelmsford for work now and then... I'll let you know next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	111017-1.png
Views:	21
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	295772   Click image for larger version

Name:	111017-2.png
Views:	12
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	295773  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2017, 05:03:12 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dawkins View Post
^ I think he would hold the START or STOP pushbutton for the same duration as a toggle switch. The N/O contact will remain closed as long as the button is pressed.
Yes, that was my thought on those.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:03:32 PM
Registered-I

Looking at the JB schematic I have - if both start and stop were pressed simultaneously by using pushbuttons - that shorts both terminal 3(start) and terminal 2(stop) to terminal 1 (ground). Since terminal 3 engages the start relay, the starter would engage - but since terminal 2 cuts off the K12 run relay it would not latch in to keep the set running - so the starter would not be disconnected by the K12 nc contacts when the set comes up to speed - Theoretically it could burn out the starter by holding too long (where normally the start relay (and starter) is released as soon as the centrifugal switch indicates the set is up to 900 rpm.)

Other than that I don't think I see a major issue other than the set wouldn't stay running because of pushing the stop button. Especially if those pushbuttons have nc contacts that can be wired in series with the other pushbutton to disable pressing both at once.

Someone else want to chase out the jb schematic and see if both connected at the same time would cause catastrophic issues?

David Meed
The Following User Says Thank You to dmeed For This Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 07:39:10 AM
Subscriber

The NO momentary switches will work just fine, it's the same setup I have on my JB and JC. You don't need any additional relays. The switches remain NC as long as you have the button/switch engaged, when you release the button/switch, the contacts open. You can buy these in pairs with a mechanical interlock if you want to go full on stupid-proof.

As for the 12VDC control wires running with the power wires, single phase isn't going to induce any voltages high enough to activate 12VDC controls. If you're concerned about it, pull the control wires using shielded cable, Belden is a good brand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike57 For This Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 10:32:47 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,204 Posts

I run my generator 3 power cables in the same trench as the start/stop cables and 120 VAC for the battery charger some 125 feet. No pick up problems because these are low impedance circuits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon N. For This Post: