Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Worthington Blue Brute 85 tow behind air compressor - HELP!

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 746 times

Old 09-25-2017, 04:44:56 PM
Registered

Default Worthington Blue Brute 85 tow behind air compressor - HELP!

Hi, we just bought a tow behind air compressor for an event we have coming up fast, and although I have it running and producing air I have a few issues/questions. The engine oil (4 cylinder International) was clean and full. The compressor side very black and seemed to be fairly low. Unfortunately there is no sight glass or dipstick so I am not sure where "full" really is. The instructions on the machine say to use either 10w40 or SAE 30 oil in the compressor. I have no manual and have not been able to find one. Worthington has not responded to my questions so I am out of luck there too. I drained the old oil out (about a gallon) however I have ready that some of these compressors take up to 5 gallons of oil. There is a filler neck to fill the oil about a third of the way up the compressor. I am not sure if this requires oil to be filled to the neck where it is visible? That would likely be about 3 - 4 gallons. When I did run it with the old oil in it, it seemed to blow a bit of oil out of the air line, and the air also got pretty hot. Not sure if it matters but the outside temp. here now is about 90 degrees. The compressor is an 85cfm Mono Rotor and from roughly the 1970's. Any help on what the oil capacity of the compressor side of this might be would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2017, 04:50:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,268 Posts
Default Re: Worthington Blue Brute 85 tow behind air compressor - HELP!

I have a buddy that has been fixing those kind of compressors since the 70s.. but he is on vacation and may be hard to get ahold of him.. and he won't have his books with him but will ask if I can as I have no idea..
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowlister For This Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 05:22:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,526 Times in 975 Posts

Onan air compressor?
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunny For This Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 05:33:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 13,660 Times in 6,429 Posts

I looked it up. Big trailer mounted unit found the manuals for it. But none will give you the specs. Unless you spend 60.00 dollars.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:46:31 PM
Registered

No, not Onan. And I am not sure how I posted this under Onan Generators. It is a Worthington Blue Brute 85 Mono Rotor
Old 09-25-2017, 11:00:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 13,660 Times in 6,429 Posts

Larry this site has been doing some strange things today.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:22:43 PM
Subscriber

Is this a screw compressor? Does it have a separator chamber? If so remove elements and inspect/clean/replace them, inspect the separator chamber looking for a drain at the bottom which normally leads to a line outside this housing, remove that lines fitting from the casting and you should find a mesh screen behind it. Clean all these passages of rust and scummy oil. These compressors have the oil sump at roughly air delivery pressure and use differential pressure to lube, there is no oil pump. Oil is fed into the screw inlet to lube and seal, then removed from the air flow by the separator and returned to the sump. They do take LOTS of oil, and almost can't have too much based on the units I've worked on.
The Following User Says Thank You to AngrySailor For This Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 05:31:35 AM
Subscriber

I have a "Blue Brute" 250cfm screw compressor and it's much the same. I'm thinking it takes 11 gallons of oil but that may include the engine also. I've not serviced it myself but will be later in the year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Troll For This Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 06:56:31 AM
Registered

Yes, it is a screw compressor. The oil lines had been leaking so I believe it was low on oil. Only about a gallon in it when I drained it. The refill tube is below center and is an elbow with a cap. It appears as though filling it to this point makes sense since filling it any more would be almost impossible unless you pressure filled it. Currently we have 4 gallons in it, but still not at the full point and I am afraid to run it until I feel a bit more confident. When we ran it (testing before we bought it) it did produce air, but seemed to heat up the oil lines pretty fast but I am guessing that could have been due to low oil. It did have rust in the fuel tank but I resolved that issue yesterday. Engine is fine, just concerned about the compressor side. Thanks all for your input, I appreciate it.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:14:22 AM
Subscriber

Is there a sight glass (more of a window really) on the top of the reservoir? If there is look down through it and there should be a fixed "dip stick" in there with a level marking on it. You can't have a removable dip stick as the oil sump is pressurized. Usually I fill them up, then check theough the window running to see how much more to add. Bleed the sump pressure EVERY time before attempting to open the sump or things get messy (don't ask how I know). These things make heat like crazy and the oil cooler must be clean and all fans working or you will smoke it!

Also I've only ever used synthetic compressor oil in these so I'm not sure how SAE30 will hol up. They do darken synthetic oil pretty quick and in my experience are expensive to maintain to manufacturers PM schedule... 5 gallons of oil, separator maintenance kit for ours was almost 1000 American shekels and was to be changed every 750 hrs Im glad someone else was paying for it!

Also please understand that this is general info, not specific to YOUR make/model...
Old 09-30-2017, 09:37:53 AM
Registered

Nope, no sight glass or dipstick anywhere, and I brought in some extra sets of eyes to check as well. The only oil fill level seems to be with the fill spout/elbow.
I added pics of both the fill elbow which I believe is also the oil level check (if machine is level) and also the checklist with the recommended oil type.
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/attac...1&d=1506778636
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/attac...1&d=1506778636
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170926_080743#1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	292570   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170925_091307.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	292571  
Old 09-30-2017, 10:09:25 AM
Email NOT Working

It looks as though you would fill it to the top of the screw in bung. Most rotary compressor makers specify non detergent for the compressor some thing to do with the absorption of water and foaming. If it only takes 5 gal you are lucky the last oil change on my 600 cfm C.P was 36 gallons of turbine oil not cheap.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldgoat For This Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 10:45:42 PM
Subscriber

It is NOT a screw compressor but rather a rotary vane type. I was able to secure manuals for mine and although larger than yours I can give you a few pointers if still needed. Let me get your serial number and I'll attempt to get you a manual from a gent I know. My compressor section takes 13 gallons of SAE 10W oil, (non detergent, mineral) and the compressor is a 1972 model.

Atlas-Copco purchased the mobile compressor line from Worthington in 1981. Parts for the "Blue Brute" series are no longer supported but some stocks still remain I'm told. They are a very simple contraption with little to go wrong and much simpler construction than a rotary screw type.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:56:00 PM
Subscriber

Dragged my Worthington "Blue Brute 250" compressor back to the shop today, all 4180, (or so) pounds of it..... It's heavy enough it tows quite well.