Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan W2S, Carburetor Needed

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 1255 times

Old 11-12-2017, 12:25:11 AM
Registered

Default Re: Onan W2S, Carburetor Needed

John Newman, Jr.

I am very interested in the carburetor that you have available that you feel will work on my generator. How best can we make arrangements for the purchase thereof?

Much appreciated!!!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2017, 11:10:08 AM
Registered

Thank you John Newman Jr. For going out of your way and providing an original zenith carburetor for this genset.
As previously stated, this particular carburetor is position adjustable. I have attached a few pictures to indicate.
I have not yet installed this carburetor, but plan to do so in the next little while and will keep everybody updated on progression.

I do have another question concerning this particular genset though...
When I first purchased it from the salvage yard, it would easily crank and start by pressing the start button, with a fully charged 12 volt battery. However, now it will not crank at all on its own with the battery. If I press the start button and give the cooling fan a little push it will begin to rotate under battery power and start, which is a very unsafe practice. Otherwise, in order to start it, I must hand crank it . If I pull the spark plugs out, it will crank under the power of the battery, but will not crank under compression with the plugs in. What are your recommendations on this situation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_154635.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	297880   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_154753.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	297881   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_155018.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	297882  
Old 12-08-2017, 02:10:43 PM
Registered-II

Exciter cranked?
If yes
1) check the all brushes are free in there holders
2) clean slip rings and segments
3) check ALL battery connection points
The Following User Says Thank You to RETCPO For This Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 05:44:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,294 Times in 2,552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETCPO View Post
Exciter cranked?
If yes
1) check the all brushes are free in there holders
2) clean slip rings and segments
3) check ALL battery connection points
Plus- the condition of the battery. "Fully charged" does not always mean "capable of delivering rated current".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 11:32:15 PM
Registered

Thank you for replys on cranking suggestions.

Yes, It is 'Exciter Cranked'...
Concerning the brush holders, slip-rings and segments... I am not experienced with generator design or technical language, so I will need to learn. Are those componants all accessible by removing the housing and support at the rear most of this particular model generator? (see attached picture). ...or do I need to go deeper into the center/front of the generator to reach these components? This may be a very naive and 'should-know-it-if-you-own-a-vintage-generator' type of question, but I'm on a learning curve right now.

Excellent point on the battery being 'capable of delivering the FULL CURRENT needed to crank the 'loaded' exciter. I will get a known good battery on this and ensure appropriate current delivery.

Thank you, Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171209_202150.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	298033  
Old 12-10-2017, 02:46:33 AM
Subscriber

The the brushes and slip rings are accessible just behind the end bell, check the bearing and grease it while you're in there. If you have a volt meter, place it on your battery while cranking. If it drops anywhere near 10v the battery doesn't have enough cranking amps.
The Following User Says Thank You to AngrySailor For This Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 09:35:40 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,389 Times in 1,504 Posts

Inside the control box there is a big old *relay* that is pretty much a big set of points that all the current passes through when the start button is pushed and coil is energized and pulls the points In to make contact

Those *points* may need a good cleaning as mine does every 6 months or so
The Following User Says Thank You to YellowLister For This Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 12:35:44 AM
Registered

Ok. Thanks for the troubleshooting recommendations.

I learned that the solid slip 'rings' of the armature are for the transfer of AC current to the brushes and the multiple metal contact 'segments' (segmented rings) or commutator on the armature are for the transfer of DC current... hope that's correct.

I took the outer bell cover off and discovered a rear frame that supports the rear of the armature via the bearing mentioned. Can I easily remove that frame/bearing support in order to ease access to clean the slip rings and commutator?... or do you recommend just reaching in and doing the cleaning with frame in place? I can fairly easily reach and unload the brushes and back them off in order to remove the frame?

I will assume that the bearing is of the bronze insert type and standard grease via a grease zerk is all that is needed to lube it.

The brush springs are all fine. The brushes all move freely in their respective guides and the brushes have plenty of meat left on them.

...still need to clean the control box solenoid contact points.

Thanks to all, Dave
Old 12-11-2017, 01:28:31 AM
Subscriber

Don't remove the bearing support. Lift the brushes from their holder and reach in to clean the slip rings. The bearing is a ball bearing, I think there is a slotted screw plug on the bearing support, push some grease in there or some thick gear oil. If the bearing is dry. Wash it out with wd-40 then grease/oil it.

Here is the wiring schematic for your machine in case you have further start issues.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	298121  
The Following User Says Thank You to AngrySailor For This Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 11:06:05 AM
Registered

AngrySailor,
Thank you for the above and beyond information, which I need and very much appreciate! Yes, there is a slotted plug on one side of that bearing mount. I will do as you have recommended.
Do you have a recommendation on the type of solution or chemical to use in order to clean the slip rings and segments? I have some electronic contact cleaner, will if that work ? I remember reading somewhere to use 600 or 1000 grit Emery cloth to clean up the copper surfaces of the Rings and segments, does that sound correct to you?
Again, I am much indebted to you for you're helpful knowledge, experience and recommendations. Dave