Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Natural Gas Pipe Dimensions for Onan JC

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 546 times

Old 11-11-2017, 11:04:32 AM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: Natural Gas Pipe Dimensions for Onan JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
In my opinion, for what that's worth, you'll be OK. If you can find them, use long sweep 90's, less restriction. Or even better, get some of that 1" plastic the gas company uses with no elbows.
It was my impression he is clipping this to the house. Yellow PE is for buried service only. If any part is underground, yellow PE is all I will use. I have seen too many steel pipes corrode or leak underground.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2017, 11:23:12 AM
Registered-II

You could have them tee off the outlet side, permitted the local gas company allows you to remove one side of the meter. Our allows it, as long as what you're doing is on the outlet side. I had a 300,000 cuft rated meter put in afterwards. Make sure to install a gas shutoff valve that meets code at the tee.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Marcozzi For This Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 01:20:13 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,892 Times in 4,277 Posts

I'm no expert on gas , but as long as you follow any applicable piping rules I wouldn't think gas co would care what you do once the gas is metered (paid for).

Another good reason for plastic pipe underground is if nat gas leaks underground it forms some chemical that kills all the tree and vegetation roots nearby, basically killing the tree.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 02:57:04 PM
Subscriber

The meter has already been upgraded to a much larger volume unit as part of the pre-installation. Thus the 1 1/2" Pipe exiting the meter now. The gas company already installed a T right after the meter with a plug on one end for future expansion. That's the tee I'll tie into.

Looks like I was able to find a local pipe supplier that stocks 1 1/4" pipe and fittings. My current plan is to run 1 1/4" pipe as far as I can using standard length pipe and nipples and then transition to 1" from then on to the generator. I'll use 1" flex line to the generator and then transition to 3/4" to go into the generator fittings (drain, switch and demand regulator). I'll have a gas cutoff valve right after I enter the shed along with a drip stub just before the reduction to 3/4" pipe. At least that's the plan right now. I may put a 1 1/2" cutoff valve near the meter where I begin my work. That way I can pressurize the new line and test for leaks without interfering with the existing gas supply to the house. A little too cold to let the house go without heat for 24 hours.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:07:07 PM
Registered-I

I would recommend the shutoff immediately BEFORE entering the building. Better access in the event of an "event". Don't want to have to walk into a flaming inferno to shut the gas off zuhnc
Old 11-11-2017, 03:10:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,087 Posts

Definitely put the shutoff outside the building. Or as I did, at the meter tee.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 04:54:16 PM
Subscriber

Good suggestions. The current plan is to have a 1 1/4" shutoff valve at the meter tee about 20' upstream from the shed and another one inside the shed for maintenance. This gives me the ability to pressure test the line all the way back to the meter without having to disrupt my main gas line. Wife wouldn't like me cutting off the heat to the house for 24 hours. Not this time of year.

Just ordered the 1 1/2" fittings 1 1/4" reducer and various nipples along with the outside cutoff valve from SupplyHouse.com. Good prices and very reasonable shipping for domestic produced pipes. Heard bad things about imported piping from the big box stores. I'll use them more once I get it down to the 1" line.

The shutoff at the meter will also allow me to do the plumbing in stages as I complete the shed and have a better idea exactly where I want to enter it. Right now I have a completed deck with the JC still sitting covered on my trailer. All the walls and roof trusses have been framed out and are ready for assembly once I get the generator on the deck.

I'm building the shed with a 60" double door so removal of the generator is possible without too much hassle but it's just easier to drop the generator onto the shed deck before I install the wall frames since I can back the trailer right to the deck and drop the gate down. The generator is sitting on a dolly with 5" wheels so it should be able to just roll down the ramp and onto the deck with little trouble. At most, there will be a 1 1/2" drop at the end of the ramp. I'll use a cable Come-Along secured to the trailer frame to ensure I don't have a runaway situation going down the ramp.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:55:58 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,289 Times in 837 Posts

When they did my propane line install, I had them put a shut-off valve both at the beginning of the line @ the tank as well a before entering the building.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:13:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Marcozzi View Post
...I had a 300,000 cuft rated meter put in...
I doubt that...
Old 11-12-2017, 10:52:29 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,447 Posts

Jim I believe he meant 300,000 btu.