Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 4BGE26100K Carb Leaking

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2151 times

Old 09-12-2013, 06:23:42 AM
Registered

Default Onan 4BGE26100K Carb Leaking

I have an Onan 4BGE26100K generator in my class C motorhome. We just bought it and the generator would always make a hard start and be running really rough with dying and surging when it first would run. After 15 or 20 minutes it would run smoothly. The other day as I was putting it in storage I decided to run the generator for a a few minutes. It did the start and die routine and I notice a smell of gas(I did the start outside this time). I noticed that gas was leaking out of the air filter.

The generator has 286 hours on it.

I would suspect that the float valve is sticky and stuck open right now. I have rebuilt carbs on 1970's cars before so I am comfortable rebuilding this carb but I am having a hard time finding a kit. It just wants to have me buy a new $400 carb. (146-0577 superseded by the 146-0663).

Can this carb be rebuilt? Any kit number? Can the float valve be fixed without rebuilding the carb?

Any easy way to get it unstuck?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2013, 07:39:40 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,909 Posts
Default Re: Onan 4BGE26100K Carb Leaking

That carburetor is rebuildable. The service manual gives complete instructions. Don't forget to replace the fuel filter, and flush the line from the fuel pump to the carburetor.

146-0457 is the rebuild kit part number.
146-0453 is the float part number if yours has a pin hole in it.

The service and parts manuals are available for the price of an email address that can accept large attachments.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:20:25 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,337 Times in 3,886 Posts

You may have a partcle of dirt hung up under float needle valve or gas in float (sunk) remove float and shake it to see if pin hole let in gas.

I've taken many small engine carbs apart to clean them. Always used all the old parts, never bothered with rebuild kits. Steel wool to clean steel needle valve tips. All run well afterwards. It's usually just dirt and crud in carb.

When blowing out carb gas line inlet. blow it backwards. Some carbs have a float needle valve seat. Blowing with compressed air in direction of gas flow can launch seat into your neighbors yard. Done it.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 11:33:32 PM
Registered

Thanks! I think I have the repair manuals, but to be sure my email is sgtkilljoy@gmail.com

Thanks, Len K, my motorhome is stored for at least several months so I might just take your advice to clean it without a rebuild kit since they seem pricey just focusing on the float. If I need the kit then I'll get one.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:33:07 AM
Registered-III

Clean slip rings with scotchbrite to protect av volt reg
Old 09-13-2013, 07:16:03 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,311 Times in 2,894 Posts

Parts & service manuals sent.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:14:55 AM
Registered

Golly, has it been 4 years?

A week or so after this post, I went to try it again and troubleshoot it a bit and the starter died. Work got in the way and then winter came and kids. Then I didn't have a place to work on it, excuses, excuses. My baby girl at the time is now in kindergarten, I got a three year old son and another baby on the way in a few months. Golly, it's been a long time.

In 2015, I took it to a shop to do the repairs, but got an estimate first. I was told that it would be $800 just to fix the starter since I needed to replace the starter, the solenoid and probably the main board as well. That wouldn't even touch the carb problem. There was no way I was going to pay that so I put it on the back burner again.

Now I have more time than money and want to get it going. Bought a cheap starter off of Ebay and managed to kick and scream and curse and get the thing installed. I took a gamble and sure enough the solenoid seems ok. I assume the board is as well because the only problem was the carburetor before the starter died.

It runs for about 2 seconds. It leaks out gasoline and white smoke. I assume that it's moisture from sitting for 4 years. I figure I will also check the points and condenser.

I'm back to the carb problem and decided to come back here and look for advice here. A rebuild is on tap in the next week or so as I get time to do it. I have the confidence to do it. I did it years ago on a 1978 Ford Granada. I appreciate all the advice here.

Any other advice?
The Following User Says Thank You to jackq7a For This Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 02:05:21 PM
Registered-III

Leaking out the carb. On mine gas evaporates from carb bowl if it sits for couple months. Float sometimes drops too much, needle valve cocks and jams. LIGHTLY tapping carb with a SMALL hammer or medium wrench frees it up. I assume you haven't replace the pump with a higher pressure one ( one for a car). Pump wants to make ~ 3psi, car ones are at least double that and can force float valve open.

I wouldn't replace carb, take it apart and clean it if still won't run, I've cleans hundreds, they all work fine. Lot of times the adjustable main jet "bolt" that hold bowl on carb plugged , take it apart and clean it. Also the 2 jet tubes in casting that dips into bowl.

If gen has been sitting for a few months clean slip rings with schotchbrite pad to protect $$$ electronic AC voltage reg. Ignore this is your gen is spec E or earlier ( has 8 inch transformer by starter.)

$800 to replace a starter is crazy. I just easily took mine off to take out the beginnings of a mouse nest. Onanparts here sells new Onan starters for a small fraction of that.

Last edited by len k; 11-13-2017 at 02:41:27 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:56:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,182 Posts

I would strongly suggest you change the oil and filter after you fix the flooding. You may need to check fuel pressure as someone before you might have changed the fuel pump and put a higher than stock pressure pump on it. When fuel runs out of the air filter you have a flooding condition. Shake the float when you get it out and listen for any fuel sloshing around in it. The starters are a breeze to change on these units. Look around, I found an OE new on ebay for about $110 delivered.
"Ma" Bell.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:00:51 PM
Registered-III

Aluminum starters in an aluminum casting, aluminum likes to corrode and bind. Heard don't pry the starter's ears, they like to break. On mine I got a space heater and warmed the genhead casting to expand it, then lightly tapped the ears to ROTATE the whole starter housing. That free it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 07:43:59 PM
Registered-I

Change out ALL rubber fuel lines! The alcohol in gasoline will decompose the rubber and tiny little chunks will come loose and get into the fuel system. Many sticking floats are from tiny pieces of decomposed fuel line

Replace with a line that's alcohol & gasoline compatible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Marcozzi For This Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 07:54:50 PM
Registered-I

I thought it was just me having trouble getting the starter off.
Cure is some anti-sieze when you put it back together.

Varnished carb:
Strip carb and put it in a slow cooker with pure Antifreeze ( not premix )
Simmer all day and all night stir as required...
On a serious note some of these allow carbs are sensitive to cleaners and there are rubber parts you might be worried about in others.
Ethylene Glycol has some interesting solvent properties and so do the additives they put in antifreeze to protect the inside of your engine and keep the passages clean.

This mix does a good job of gently loosening up most crude.
When you done wash in soap and water rinse and repeat as required.
I never wrecked a carb like this....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Newoldstock For This Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 09:31:53 PM
Registered-III

Forgot to say it , after I cleaned up corrosion with a dremal wire wheel, I put a little antisieze on the mating surfaces

As far as cleaning carbs, I just take them apart and physically clean them. Rag or steel wool the main jet needle valve and bowl if needed. Wood toothpick or copper wire to ram out the 8 tiny cross holes in the 2 jet tubes.

I find it's mostly the small jets that clog , not so much the passageways which are large cross section by comparison.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:36:47 AM
Registered-II

I have a NOS BGE carb part number 146-0455. This is not the same numbers you posted and I an not sure of the differances. If you can use it I will let it go cheap to a fellow stacker.