Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan MDJE starter motor repair?

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 119 times

Old 11-11-2017, 02:33:30 AM
Registered

Default Onan MDJE starter motor repair?

Hi,

The starter from my genset was pretty rusty when I dismantled the unit. I cleaned it up but it is definitely past its prime. The rubber boot that fits over the solenoid 'plunger' has fallen apart, and needs to be replaced. I was thinking that I could stitch up a similar shaped cover in sailcover material, or something else pliable but strong.
However, there is another problem with the starter and that is that the solenoid 'plunger' is not parallel to the solenoid body, when it is at its extreme deactivation position. It kind of sags a bit which means that sometimes it jams when activated and doesn't pull back smoothly into the solenoid body.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a replacement motor that I could fit? It would seem that all I need to find is a motor that
  • Has 2 bolts to mount it, with centres 105.5mm apart
  • May or may not have a flange that fits into the mount - if it does, then the flange must have a diameter of 82.5mm
  • Has teeth that match the MDJE flywheel - the current motor has 10 teeth
  • Rotates in an anti-clockwise direction when viewed from the front
  • 'Throws' the starter gear 15mm when activated

Doesn't seem all that special, but finding a match amongst the myriad car starters is probably going to be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Just wondered what ideas you guys might have on this...is there an obvious replacement (that I might be able to source here in Oz) or should I just patch up the current one?

Cheers,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StarterMotor.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	295797  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2017, 03:24:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,181 Posts
Default Re: Onan MDJE starter motor repair?

That is a Prestolite starter. Leon N here on the site had his rebuilt at a shop local to him. They can be, I believe, directly replaced with a Mitsubishi gear reduction type starter. Much better unit in my opinion.
Here is the later style: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Dies...ZZG2oR&vxp=mtr
\Here is a new one and they say it needs an adapter to fit where the unit had a prestolite style starter. http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcar...398-p-150.html
"Ma" Bell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 04:57:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,350 Times in 794 Posts
Default Re: Onan MDJE starter motor repair?

New solenoids are pretty cheap , if your plunger is not too badly worn that may cure your sticking issue. I have seen parts listings for a number of internal parts for the Prestolite starter, not sure if they included a plunger. Prestolite starters are used on a number of vehicles as well asOnans. There is a sticky at the top of the forums on starter part interchangeability and several guys have also done some good threads on it. Mitsubishi starters are better than the Prestolites but be prepared to pay upwards of $400USD for one if you can find it also you need to either drill your adaptor plate or buy another one and they are scarce and expensive too. There are some cheap eBay starters out there but beware they might not work, I have one which fits fine but turns the engine backwards. Someone will probably have a good used plunger if you get stuck. Cheers Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBlockChev For This Post: