Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

International Harvester Company indentification

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2713 times

Old 07-20-2013, 09:59:08 PM
Registered

Default International Harvester Company indentification

Hi,

First time on this site and I am hoping for some help identifying an International Harvester screen cooled engine.

It has been in the family for about 100 years and has not been used for approximately 50-60 years

It has International Harvester Company on the block and below it G617 with Patent July 18 1905 below that

There is a mark on the top of the barrel and head (to line them up?) with J201 on both sides

Also on top of the barrel there is a CX? Not sure of what is after the x

The Oscillator is Webster Tri-Polar type JY1 with number 65800 stamped on the top

Just looking for manufacture date and some history if anyone can help

Thanks
Old 07-21-2013, 05:17:51 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: International Harvester Company indentification

come on please post a picture or two for us old iron addicts!!

sorry can't help with date and history but its great its still in the family

cheers
Old 07-21-2013, 06:29:32 AM
Email NOT Working

G,day Will
according to the engine number it is 6hp horizontal famous j201 around 1905 - 1906 the list I have the lowest number on it is j550-j715 1906
cheers Brock
Old 07-23-2013, 10:02:01 AM
Registered-III

There should be some starting proceedures on Youtube you can view, search famous engines or IHC famous/ IHC famous tractor.
Have a look and make sure it is well lubed with oil in all the right positions / moving parts/ crank/ cam/ cylinder before you try to start it and has oil dripping in the drippers for running.
Don't leave water in the block if you fill it always drain it out as it can freeze and break the block.
Could run it for a short time couple of min dry i would think it would not hurt it, longer you will need water in it. grease the water pump plunger though.
Oh also check magneto has spark or you'll be there a while.Make sure the governor is loose (slides) and functioning with no sticky parts.
Speed is around 250 rpm i think don't over rev the engine be ready to shut it down if it takes off too fast.Block air inlet with wood sheet or/ push open inlet valve, turn off needle valve for fuel any or stop magneto tripping or all of the above.
The early tractors had these as well in different sizes just those are scaled up in size, starting proceedures are basically the same few variances in ignition types depending on how they where ordered, same basic engine.
If magneto has no spark it can be repaired.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20:08 AM
Registered-III

Please find attached the production numbers from the Milwaukee works in regard to year.
As yours is before the serial range it can be assumed it was made before 1906, it is Throttle governed (fires all the time) and gasoline powered portable unit ( on wheels ) as shipped from the factory.
To verfiy it has not been converted to hit and miss, items to note are the style of carburettor and governor linkage to air valve in head which regulates air volume.Hit and miss has a different carb and latches open the exhaust rocker arm upon overspeed rpm so engine does not fire just coasts, it does not have the air valve in the head either. TC upon reaching regulated speed just cuts the airvolume down.
I think IHC numbers on engines started at 101 (first one produced) 102 (second one produced) etc. You could backtrack approx year by the same no production in 1906 to 1905 giving a rough time it was produced.This assumes production would have been the same for each year, in fact this is not the case if you look at year to year no produced in each so is an educated guess.Drawings for these usually are done well before production of units so is not a good way of dating items.
Serial numbers are listed on the cylinder / head cylinder joint, crankshaft end and brass nameplate ( should be on the side of the block) they are stamped not cast in.
I do not have a list earlier than the one posted however there maybe one at the Wisconson Historical Society IHC archive collection here http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/libr...ihc/search.asp
They have a photo collection and you are able to search the archives and if needed ask a question about the collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page 3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	170330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Page 1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	170331  
The Following User Says Thank You to Alastair Geddes. For This Post:
Old 07-26-2013, 12:09:46 AM
Subscriber

HI WILL AUSTRALIA , GREAT NAME .
I HAVE A 4HP & 6HP FAMOUS HIT N MISS ENGINES PLUS OTHERS - LOVE INTERNATIONALS . NOW I'AM NOT SURE YOU GOT THE SERIAL NUMBER RIGHT , HAVE YOU CHECKED THE ID PLATE ON THE BASE UNDER THE MAGNETO , THE NUMBER YOU GAVE IF RIGHT WOULD HAVE TO BE ONE OF THE EARLY ENGINES MADE , AND THEY HAD FLAT BAR WEBSTERS AND THE COOLING TANK WAS SQUARE AND THE WATER RUN DOWN TIMBER SLATS TO COOL BEFOR RECIRCULATE BACK THROUGH THE ENGINE . BUT SAYING THAT BOTH THESE THINGS COULD BE CHANGED AT A LATER DATE . THE MAGNETO JY1 WHICH IS FOR 6HP , 8 , 10 , AND NOT SURE MAYBE 12 ASWELL . MY 6 HP WHICH I WILL TRY AND LEAVE A PICTURE , IS J2955 = 1912 .
IF YOU ARE GOING TO GET IT GOING I WOULD SUGGEST PULLING THE HEAD OFF AND CHECK AND CLEAN VALVES ( MAY NEED GRINDING ) PULLING THE PISTON OUT CLEANING EVERY THING ASWELL AS THE RING GROOVES . AND HONING THE BARROL . PLUS CLEAN ALL THE MOVING PARTS ESPECIALLY THE GOVENER .
WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU COULD POST SOME PICTURES AND MYSELF AND FELLOW STACKERS COULD HELP MORE .
GOOD LUCK NEIL

Last edited by Neil Mactavish; 07-26-2013 at 01:21:21 AM. Reason: TRYING TO AD PHOTO
Old 07-30-2013, 12:43:11 AM
Subscriber

Photo of my 6 hp famous
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XXX.png
Views:	100
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	170957