Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Mascon double action piston pump

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1038 times

Old 11-22-2018, 04:16:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,026 Times in 1,083 Posts
Default Mascon double action piston pump

Hello all
I was looking in the scrap yard out home the other day for some batteries and found a Mascon double action piston pump and, long story short, it came home with me.
when I got it home I could not believe there was no wear on the guide rods or piston rod, it wasn't seized and the pipes unscrewed. Even the greasers are there.
I took the valve caps off, tipped the flaky rust out and everything looks good. As per usual I didn't have time to have a look into the guts to see how the bore is but I reckon it'll be OK. Sadly it's been converted to a V belt (it was broken) so flat belt pullies are gone.
Now I'm back in Brisbane I've been trying to look into the Mascon pump history and found there isn't much information available out there. About all I could get was they were made and sold by McPhersons. Is this correct? I thought it is but better to ask then to assume wrong information. McPhersons also sold Ajax didn't they?
The pump I found under the heavy steel pile is a 2E which I assume is a 2 inch bore and I reckon it's about a 4 inch stroke. The outlet is about 1 1/2 if my memory serves me well. It was all a bit of a hurry. Finding it in the heavy steel pile was kinda appropriate. It weighs 96kgs.
Nearly all the Macson pumps I found on the net were huge. 5x5 and the like. By looking at the ad it seems that they made 5 sizes.
I did find a couple of ads and one ad was for 1936 and McPhersons did not advertise Ajax pumps but the ad had pumps which I've seen as Ajax pumps.
So did McPhersons make Macson pumps and later renamed them Ajax or what's the story?
Cheers and thanks
Scott
PS: didn't find any good batteries if your wondering.

This ad from The Mail in late 1936

The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 06:45:27 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Macson pumps

Hi

I recently acquired a 1 1/2 inch double action piston pump, very simular to the Ajax A 1.5 but with very minor differences. The only marking in M cast into the top of the pressure chamber and the letter M punched into the type space on the tag on the gear housing. Is this pump a Macson Pump? This is the only pump of this type I have seen. I will take photos tomorrow and put them up. Also I am guessing that the name Macson comes from the manufacturers name McPherson's. Any thoughts?

Regards

Ian
Old 04-28-2019, 08:07:05 PM
Registered-II

Hi Team,
Macson pumps, machine tools as well as Ajax certainly seem to have been brands used by McPherson's over the years.
My 1955 and the 1960 Centenary Catalogues mention both Macson in the machine tool range and Ajax for water pumps at those times.
TROVE may bring up some info.
Link mentions some possible sites of interest for further study.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/archiv.../t-145517.html

Interesting subject this of another now gone great Australian Company with manufacturing resources--all no doubt gone to China.

Cheers,
Eddie B.
The Following User Says Thank You to eddie bedwell For This Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 08:52:06 PM
Registered-I

Hi,

Please see attached photos of my assumed Macson pump.

Regards

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010830.1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	333638   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010831.1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	333639   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010832.1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	333640   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010833.1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	333641  
The Following User Says Thank You to Clapper For This Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 07:29:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,966 Times in 961 Posts
Default Re: Mascon double action piston pump

This one is a Macson.
I don't have a tidy knowledge of the history of the brand name.
As far as I have scratched around and learned over the years McPherson was importing and selling workshop machinery,rebadging them with his name, before making his own copies of some machines.I will go out on the limb a little and say that the company was importing as 'McPherson' and then progressing to making copies of lathes and workshop machines.The next phase might be McPherson and Son,and their own product during that later time was branded Macson.My old flat bed lathe is from somewhere close to 1915,and is carrying a large cast embossed 'McPherson' logo.
The 'MACSON' brand as far as I know is the joining of MAC(McPherson),and SON.Someone who 'really' knows might correct me?
My fathers old lathe is definitely one of those two or three name maker pommy lathes,imported,then badged with a 'McPherson's' agency badge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2490.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	333672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2487.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	333673  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 12:58:40 AM
Registered-II

Yes well these little pumps were oft used to supply domestic water . Operating with a pressure switch and an electric motor mounted on top . Uncle Herb had one in his later years at the old farm . I now have that pump but have not done any thing with it.. It was described in the early Mc Phersons cataloque as the Ajax self oiling piston pump type A1 1/2.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winchester For This Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 06:55:47 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,026 Times in 1,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
I don't have a tidy knowledge of the history of the brand name.
Hello all
Not many do Paul. I haven't really forgotten about the Macson/Ajax which came first, the chicken or the egg saga and have been doing some research.
Mr Goose's early McPherson's catalogue with Ajax pumps in it may give some light. What year is the catalogue Mr Goose? A scan would be great!!!!

Hopefully my new camera will be here today to take some pictures of the pump in question. If you put Paul's pump on some dirt and take the drive pulleys off, you'll see ours.

I've always wondered if old Billy used the Ajax name for pumps to capitalise on the Ajax name as in the fastener range? Ajax were the rivets used on the Sydney Harbour Bridge I found a reference to somewhere?

Cheers Scott
Old 05-06-2019, 06:56:57 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapper View Post
Hi,

Please see attached photos of my assumed Macson pump.

Regards

Ian
Hi All

To get back to my question, is my pump a MACSON?

Regards

Ian

PS: Hi Scotty I have a friend with a Macson just like yours.