Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Any Blaxland Rae owners/experts around.

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1283 times

Old 01-02-2015, 01:54:33 AM
Subscriber

Default Any Blaxland Rae owners/experts around.

Hi all,
I'm currently trying to get a 5/7 twin running. It's got good hot spark, two new autolite plugs and it's getting fuel into the chambers. I've checked the timing and it's as per the book (points open 2.25" of flywheel circumference before TDC) I can get it to fire once then nothing. The only thing I can thing of is not enough compression, it has new rings and freshly honed bores so maybe I need to motor it somehow to bed them in.

Any ideas?

Cheers Andrew

And yes the Pistons are in the right way
Old 01-02-2015, 02:33:00 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Any Blaxland Rae owners/experts around.

perhaps it just needs the masters touch
Old 01-02-2015, 04:43:41 AM
Registered-II

Does the plug look wet when it stops? could be a possibility you may be inadvertently flooding it . Maybe try leaning mixture off when starting and work up from that.

with the magneto can it jump a 5mm gap when spun over by hand?

hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to Emu3hp For This Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 01:34:02 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,531 Times in 4,215 Posts

If the plugs are wet with fuel, you are flooding. Check the carby and float to see of fuel level is too thgh. If the plugs are wet, you have to dry them out thoroughly. heat them with a torch for several minutes, and let cool. Turn the engine over with the plug leads grounded to clear out the cylnders. Install the plugs onto the leads and turn the engine over. Are both plugs firing? if so, are they firing at or near Top center compression? If so, try this: Install the plugs and connect the wires. Apply choke, and turn engine thru 2 revolutions, ignition OFF. Open choke, turn ON ignition, and try to start the engine, with the throttle closed. Does it start?
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 06:36:55 PM
Registered-II

another possibilty it may be timed on the wrong stroke. The points may be opening on the top of the exhaust stroke instead of top of compression.
The Following User Says Thank You to Emu3hp For This Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 07:25:34 PM
Registered-II

Hi Andrew,
as you would be aware, in the marine application these engines are designed to run in both directions by moving the magneto position to either side of TDC for Fwd. or Rev. travel.
I could see that it would be easy to try and start it with the mag. set in the opposite run direction--sparking on the down stroke.
Maybe also set plug gap at about 0.012"-0.014" and see what you get.

The book says to start the engine to rock the flywheel back against compression far enough to hear a sucking noise at the carby with each pull--to my surprise mine started replicating this and ran after its rebuild.
In the past we used a belt around the flywheel to start these things--I guess they were tired. Even resorted to a big electric drill on one Dad hired to do some fishing on inland waters--we did not take the boat as it was too hard to start--totally worn out engine.

It is important to have an initial 1/8 of a pint of SAE 50 oil in each sump before the initial start up for the conrod dipper to splash thru for lube of the bottom end and under the piston. If this is not done the rings/bore could be washed clean of oil by the intake petrol and cause low compression problems--especially with new rings etc.

I have a single that sat on the bottom of the salt water tidal Mordialloc Creek for 18 months and then stored for 20 years.
The water jacket had burst out in many places due to corrosion build up.
The piston surprisingly was only stuck due to cylinder distortion. The bore still had hone marks visible. She runs again with the water jacket epoxied back after severe sand blasting and caustic bath soaking.

As a teenager, a mate and I used to hire motor boats powered by these jiggers--hence the need to have one.
Keep at it Mate, you will triumph over metal and get it going--enjoy it.
Cheers,
Eddie B.
The Following User Says Thank You to eddie bedwell For This Post:
Old 01-03-2015, 08:07:37 AM
Registered-III

I had a Blaxland Rae single and I assume yours has the Schebler carb . I found that enriching the mixture on starting was important.
The Following User Says Thank You to jopeter For This Post:
Old 01-03-2015, 08:01:50 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E27N View Post
Hi all,
I'm currently trying to get a 5/7 twin running. It's got good hot spark, two new autolite plugs and it's getting fuel into the chambers. I've checked the timing and it's as per the book (points open 2.25" of flywheel circumference before TDC) I can get it to fire once then nothing. The only thing I can thing of is not enough compression, it has new rings and freshly honed bores so maybe I need to motor it somehow to bed them in.

Any ideas?

Cheers Andrew

And yes the Pistons are in the right way
Andrew:

Dennis Basson, a fellow Aussie from the Adelaide area has a bit of knowledge about Blaxford engines. I've contacted him and he would be happy to help you via email.

He can be reached at:
wdbasson@adam.com.au

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post: