Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

Repair/ modification on a 30SK-18R

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 768 times

Old 01-18-2015, 05:55:54 PM
Registered-II

Default Repair/ modification on a 30SK-18R

Got to do some repair on my SK, it's developing a crack in the exhaust manifold, and don`t have a spare. Being a Mopar nut, I have some options... I have a complete Super-Six factory 2bbl int/exh setup I'm considering using. From the wild side - I also have a complete factory Hyper-Pak 4 bbl setup, I'm probably never going to use anywhere as I'm more a 440 kind of guy. I have a decent stash of Impco mixers, 1, 2 and 4bbl types to work w/. I want to keep this Tri-fuel.

I also want to dump the propeller on the front of the engine, most of the noise from the unit comes from it. I want to R/R the mech unit w/ a 12v electric unit, w/ a custom 2 stage controller that I build/use on all my vehicles ( I run Ford 2 spd Taurus/Lincoln fans on everything but my Jeeps, (they won't fit those), common and cheap in the wrecking yards, quiet too).

One last upgrade: R/R alt setup to a 90-120 amp modern Denso unit. They charge better at low rpm and are very common in wrecking yards. I use these as an upgrade on my vintage Mopar toys and for clients rides, they work great.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2015, 06:37:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,021 Times in 5,039 Posts
Default Re: Repair/ modification on a 30SK-18R

Noise......Could try reducing angle of fan blades. If they used same fan as from a car the angle of attack for fan to air would be different in still air vs car doing 60 mph.