Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Farm pumper

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1623 times

Old 03-30-2015, 05:35:24 PM
Registered-II

Default Farm pumper

Watching a Rosebery pumper engine running the other day and was wondering,is the fuel tank supposed to be sealed? Because on the suction stroke the fuel tank actually sucks in with a vacuum . It runs very well ! Also, what is the hollow "cup". cast on top of the carby between the mixture screw and choke lever? Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2015, 12:59:58 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,091 Posts
Default Re: Farm pumper

Hello Darryl
The little hollow cup on the carbi is to be used to start the pumper if kero is used in the fuel tank. You "Three parts fill the small bowl on the vaporiser with petrol.....Hold damper down for one turn of the flywheel...Turn the flywheel rapidly in the direction of the arrow....As soon as the engine fires, open the damper.
After the engine has been running a few minutes, and when the inlet and exhaust manifolds have become heated, gradually open the throttle valve as the level of petrol in the small bowl gets low."

The tank is not supposed to be sealed. If it was sealed a vacuum would be created before too long and fuel would not be able to be sucked up into the carbi. I cannot think of any fuel tank on an old engines that is sealed. But I'll gladly be corrected.

I hope this helps.
Cheers Scott
PS: I love the old pumpers. A simple little engine that brings so much wonderment to people who watch them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 02:26:07 AM
Registered-II

I thought that cup was for petrol to burn in for running on kero but wasn't brave enough to ask because the idea was just too crude ! which makes the pumper even better. Doesn't the carb suck air from the tank aswell as fuel? Thankyou ,Darryl
Old 03-31-2015, 03:01:32 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Doesn't the carb suck air from the tank aswell as fuel? Thankyou ,Darryl
Hello Darryl.
Yes it does.

Never be afraid to ask questions. The only stupid question is the one you never asked.

Cheers then
Scott
Old 03-31-2015, 10:18:41 AM
Registered-II

Do not have access to my Rosebery Pumper at present, but as I recall, the pumper engine sucks most of its air up through the hollow pressed metal mount bracket on the back of the tank. If the tank is pulsing it suggests that this air intake is restricted, so worth a look to see if the mud wasps have blocked it, or a gasket is not correctly fitted.
Must get my old pumper out again and see if I can improve its running. Used to run great, but last couple of runs it ran poorly and I suspect I have a magneto, condenser maybe? near the end of its life. Regards,
Combustor.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:58:12 AM
Registered-III

When I turned Flo into a Bling Machine I made a new gasket for the fuel mixer. The attached picture will show you what it looked like. My big problem was that it actually completely sealed off the air intake and starved the motor until it stopped. If you look at the shape impressed into the gasket near the pick up hole you can see a "U" shape. This is what sealed off the tank. Simple solution was to just cut a small vent or channel from the pick up hole across to the back side of the tank to allow air in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo's mixer gasket..jpg
Views:	46
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	222434