Old Engine Memorials

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Old Engine Memorials
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old Engine Memorials We each know a collector who has passed that meant something to us and this is a place for our final salute, a place of memories for all to share.

Old Engine Memorials

Ed Sparks

this thread has 59 replies and has been viewed 3517 times

Old 07-08-2015, 08:45:10 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,023 Times in 2,415 Posts
Default Ed Sparks

Edward M. Sparks

November 4, 1955 - July 9, 2015

Ed Sparks passed away today from a massive heart attack.

Ed has been like a neighbor for the past couple of summers because he lived on Bailey Island, Maine and I am on Orr's Island, Maine. This is made even more difficult because he was only 59 years old.

He will be greatly missed here on the Onan board and the rest of Smokstak.

Quote:
Orr's & Bailey Islands Fire Department

Husband and Wife EMTs Retiring from OBIFD After 20 Years
November 15, 2013

For the past several years, anyone calling for emergency medical assistance on Orr's, Bailey and parts of Great Island likely met Ed or Colette Sparks.

Regardless of the time or day, the weather, or the nature of the emergency, the Sparks were likely to answer the call for help. Over the years, they have treated hundreds of island residents and visitors, comforting them and their loved ones in times of distress and saving lives.

But the Sparks will make their last runs later this month when the long-time emergency medical technicians officially retire as active volunteers for the Orr's and Bailey Islands Fire Department, effective at the end of the year.

"We have a passion for helping others and have met some wonderful folks over the decades, and listened to many stories from the elders about life in simpler times," said Ed Sparks, who has served as Rescue Captain for the past several years. "We have met folks in the best of times and the worst times of their lives."

But Sparks said the time is right for the couple to move on and spend more time on their business and personal lives.

"There also are many changes underfoot. Some of these are at the federal level, the state level and at the local level," Ed Sparks said. "We, like many members of the community, are Boomers and this is a young persons' business."

Their departure will leave a huge void in the volunteer department, which serves Orr's, Bailey and the southern end of Great Island.

"Ed and Colette served the department tirelessly for 20 years. They helped hundreds of people responding to both fire and EMS calls during their tenure," said OBI Fire Chief Ed Blain. "Filling their shoes won't be easy."

The Sparks' retirement will leave OBIFD with just one qualified EMT, who is currently living out of town. More volunteers are expected to attend a town-wide EMT training class beginning in January and the town is moving toward providing 24-hour EMS through Mid Coast Hospital in Brunswick, at least through March.

While more responders could help extend the volunteer rescue service, Ed Sparks said he thinks permanent paid EMS coverage is inevitable.

"This Department has been fortunate to have the support of residents and taxpayers for many years. However, the needs are changing and it may not be the service model we now know in the future," he said. "I would like to believe that there is hope for the volunteer system to continue providing local care to our citizens. However, the reality is without new blood this may not be possible."

He said the problem is not unique to Harpswell.

"There is a trend nationwide, and right here in Maine, to consolidate emergency medical services and make them regionalized. Some under local government, some under county wide services," Ed Sparks said. "I see Harpswell in the near future having a single paid service consolidated and tax-supported as many other local towns have been forced to do in recent years."

Those changes would be among many the Sparks have seen over their years of service.

"When I started, ambulance attendants could only provide basic bleeding control, splinting and, maybe, if you were a progressive service, oxygen. The ambulances were converted station wagons or hearses and many places ambulance service was provided by the local funeral home," Ed Sparks said.

"Today's ambulance services are advanced life support mobile emergency rooms. We have much of the same equipment and medications as are available at the hospital ERs," he said. "We are an extension of those ERs proving needed stabilization in the field, prior to transporting the patient to the hospital for further treatment."

Ed Sparks, 58, works full-time as a carpenter, while Colette, 57, is a registered nurse on the medical surgical floor at Mid Coast Hospital in Brunswick. They also breed and raise Labrador retrievers.

Both were born in Springfield, Mass., married as teenagers, and moved frequently after Ed joined the Navy. They discovered the Brunswick area in 1976 when Ed was a Navy reservist and made their first visit to Bailey Island during the Blizzard of 1978. They began spending summer vacations on Bailey Island and moved there full time when they bought their home in 1994.

The Sparks had considerable emergency medical experience before arriving in town, including working on ambulance and rescue crews at stock car races throughout New England.

Soon after moving to Bailey Island, a close friend suffered a heart attack and Ed Sparks came to his aid, starting CPR before the OBI rescue crew arrived. After his friend was safely taken to the hospital, the responders began urging Sparks to become a department volunteer, calling or bringing cookies and desserts to their home almost daily until he said yes.

Colette Sparks joined a few months later, "so I could see him more often," she said.

While reluctant to discuss many specifics because of patient privacy requirement, the Sparks said they lots of memories from their years of service.

"There have been many memorable people we have met over the years," he said. "Listening to stories from a 100-year-old fisherman as we helped him during his last few years was an incredible thing. Many of our elderly are a fountain of historical knowledge that is being lost as they pass on."

The Sparks received thanks from many of their colleagues and neighbors when they were presented with the OBIFD Award for Extraordinary Service at the department's annual recognition dinner in November.

"Thank you Ed for your 20 years of being a firefighter, advanced E.M.T. and rescue captain," says the award presented to Ed Sparks by OBIFD President Michael Helfgott. "You have responded to any call for help whether it be picking up donated medical equipment or comforting a person in physical or emotional distress. You have worn many hats and it will be hard to replace you."

Colette Sparks' award thanked her for "20 years of service as a firefighter, advanced E.M.T., trainer of E.M.T.s and representative to the Maine Federation of Firefighters."

"Your dedication to the success of the fire/rescue departments has ensured the safety and well being and quality of life in our community," both award plaques state.

For their part, the Sparks said their true reward was the opportunity to help their neighbors and make the community a better place to live.

"It has been my great honor to serve the people of this community. I am grateful that I have been accepted it as a neighbor," Colette Sparks said.

Now, they said, it is time to relax a little and enjoy life.

"We are celebrating our 39th anniversary this year," Ed Sparks said. "And we are making plans for our first real vacation in over a decade."
http://www.obifd.org/newsarchive.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	obifd-sparks-111513a.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	229434  
Old 07-08-2015, 09:05:09 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Ed Sparks

Very sorry to hear that. A man with a great deal of knowledge and happy to share it. He sure has helped me out with both advice and manuals. I've learned a lot from reading his posts here on the 'Stak.

Rest in peace Ed... My condolences to the family.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:07:28 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,917 Times in 3,057 Posts

Another great resource of knowledge and friendship is lost. Condolences to the family.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:22:43 PM
Kpack

Wow that's hard to believe. Prayers out to the family. :shrug::D:D:D
Old 07-08-2015, 09:32:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,824 Times in 1,884 Posts

Wow, What a shock..... Ed has been a great contributor to this site. I am a relative newcomer to the stak (A few years). The worst part is that the guy was 4 years younger than I am! :confused: My thoughts and condolences to his family. :salute:
"By the GRACE of God go I"
Old 07-08-2015, 09:32:27 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,620 Posts

This is truly a shock to learn of Ed passing away he was a dear friend to me and has helped me many times here on the stak my eyes are full of tears he will be sadly missed so sorry for his family God Bless them at this time of loss. Danny
Old 07-08-2015, 09:57:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,314 Times in 2,215 Posts

Condolences to the Family and Friends.John
Old 07-08-2015, 10:10:31 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,622 Posts

What! This is a shock to me. Back I guess three years go, I visited ED at his home on Bailey Island, across from Harpswell. I will certainly miss him. His place is about 150 miles up the road from here. Wish I could find out more So that I could to extend my condolences to the family. He will be sorely missed.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:12:22 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,083 Times in 1,519 Posts

I'm so sorry to hear about Ed. He emailed me last night and I sent a reply earlier this morning not knowing he had past. I will miss him. You imagine what people are like when reading there posts. I think all that corresponded with Ed got to see he was a smart knowledgeable person that enjoyed helping people. He will be missed. My heart goes out to his family. I will forever wonder what question or information he had for me.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:37:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,035 Times in 2,612 Posts

Total shock Is all I can say. Please pass my best regards to the family.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:37:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,622 Posts

I just have to say something. This news upsets me a bit because will always remember ED inviting me over to his house. I brought all my Onan documentation and we shared information. He showed me his new generator shed housing his JB and the propane fuel supply and we discussed technical matters. He was a collector of sorts. He had a 1962 Corvair and a 10CW both of which he was going to restore. I also owned a 62 Corvair and drove if across the country twice while stationed in Texas and then Califormia. So we talked a bit about those two items and shared experiences.

My wife is related to the Clemon's family. All the boys are lobster fishermen in the Harpswell area. In years past, we would go up to Harpswell for a one week vacation.

In fact Suzanne has a bachelor cousin who lives in Brunswick, is 95 and just stopped driving his car.

My prayers go out to Ed and his family.

Leon
Old 07-08-2015, 11:06:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,891 Times in 2,047 Posts

4,900 posts.... Nowhere near enough. Generous with his thanks button. Well thought out interesting posts. He will definately be missed. My condolences to his family.
Doc
Old 07-08-2015, 11:20:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,091 Times in 5,074 Posts

HE will be missed. A smart man who's intelligence showed in his posts. He posted about working on many different things. Never did get to meet him, figured I would someday though. GF's brother is in fire dept in Harpswell area. Few years ago during a bad Maine ice storm we were there. When we returned from a walk a generator was sitting on the porch, I think it came from ED, they knew each other. My condolences and best wishes.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:20:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,523 Posts

This is so sad. I just was reading one of his posts and noticed the 'in memory of' tag. I thought it must have been some kind of forum glitch. Thanks for passing along the news, Harry, and add me to the list of those offering prayers and condolences to his family...

Don't know where Ed's place was, but it sure is a beautiful part of the country...

Mackerel Cove on Bailey Island

Last edited by Jim McIntyre; 07-08-2015 at 11:34:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:52:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,824 Times in 1,884 Posts

Does anyone that knew Ed have a photo of him? I hope that my question is NOT an improper request. I ask this in great respect. Chris

EDIT by Harry - http://www.smokstak.com/forum/attach...4&d=1436447182

THANKS Harry.

Last edited by Motorhead; 07-09-2015 at 12:29:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:03:25 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,778 Posts

We have lost a great member and friend.. Ed just sent me manuals for my cw, really sad.. he was a true onan nut and always so helpful.. I hope his babies go to good homes..

My condolences and best wishes to his family.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:18:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,789 Posts

Oh, how terribly sad :(

Please pass my condolences on to the family and friends.

Respectfully,
Keith
Old 07-09-2015, 04:21:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,189 Times in 874 Posts

The Board, Maine, The Country, The World .. has lost a good man. Godspeed Ed.

:(
Old 07-09-2015, 06:43:47 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,368 Posts

Wow. What a shock to get up in the morning, log onto the Stak, and find Ed has passed away. I considered him a friend, and he will be sorely missed. Rest in peace Ed.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:15:43 AM
Registered-III

Rest in peace He is in our prayers