Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

DelcoLight Generator Identity and Info Sought

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 4477 times

Old 01-15-2006, 06:16:32 PM
Registered-II

Default DelcoLight Generator Identity and Info Sought

Hello from England, I have just bought (today) a DelcoLight generator and I am seeking info such as wiring diagrams and instruction books. It is a 32v dc (800 Watts ?) OHV air cooled genny running from a 12volt battery. It appears to have a mixing valve as opposed to a carb, so I take it that it is a multi-fuel device. The original coil is there but not wired up and a separate coil has been used. A small brass plate on the side has 82077 stamped on it. The previous owner said the raised cast numbers on the flywheel gave the manufacture date. These being 7-10-19-H (1919? ). There are also some faint indented numbers 27805-2. Any help, comments and suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance, Dave Carter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delco 1.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	6361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Delco 2.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	6362  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2006, 11:05:05 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: DelcoLight Generator Identity and Info Sought

I have fully restored a Model 850 (1917 with one gallon tank). You can get Delco info from the following sites:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/demaria/Delco/dr.htm (purchase manuals)

There is also a good site where you can download info also. Good description of plants etc as well as DR Delcos museum

http://www.oldengine.org/members/frank/delco.htm

JT alias Restogreen@yahoo.com
Old 01-15-2006, 11:14:34 PM
In Memory Of

Dave;

Your Delco-Light generator is a (repainted) Model-850. I would imagine the reason some one used a different coil, would be, that the original coil (with the voltage droping resistor on the end) is made to use 32 volt battery to operate properly. With 12 volts hooked up to the resistor there won't be enough voltage to the coil to spark.

The original paint, I'm sure was black. According to my "stuff" the year of manufacture would be between, July 1 1919 and January 1 1920. The Model-850 was the first machine manufactured in 1916 and there were five subtle changes by the end of that year, but through 1947 for the most part, other than control panels, they remained the same. Yours appears to be in very good condition and you shouldn't have any trouble getting it up and running with little work.

You are correct about the duel fuel use. There are two holes on the top of the mixer. One has a plug screwed in it and the other is just a small hole with a piece of felt over it. If you remove the "screw in plug" you will see a small disc with a tiny hole in it. That is carefully designed to cause the engine to run at the rated speed (1250 - 1300 rpm) under the charging load. So, it is a real good idea to use two 12 v and one 8 v or four 8 v batteries hooked in series before operating the engine and it would be a good idea to have some lights or a motor or something for a load as well. The fuel tank was filled with kerosene and the generator came with a "spurt doc" oil can that you fill with gasoline for starting. While holding up on the start lever and the "choke" lever in the start position, you squirted a little gas on the felt until the engine started running. Keep squirting gas in there until it got warm enough to run on the kerosene. It took a little expermenting to get that "all adjusted" so it would run smoothly. I just run gas in the tank and if it is a bit contrary to start I squirt a little gas in the felt to get it's "attention". In warm weather you probably won't need to "prime" it. It's important to have a piece of felt or some type of "filter" cloth over the prime hole to keep any dust or dirt out of the mixer. The small hole in the "jet" will plug up with the smallest piece of dirt. If you're lucky there will be a screen strainer in the fill hole of the fuel tank. That keeps dirt out of there as well.

Do make sure the commutator is clean and smooth and the brushes work freely in their holders. The brushes also need to be carefully sanded to fit the commutator completely. The manual shows you how to do that.

If you will e-mail me I have a poor, but very readable copy of the orginal manuals for the Model-850. If you run across any problems with it, feel free to contact me by e-mail.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Old 01-15-2006, 11:24:18 PM
In Memory Of

Restogreen;

It was nice of you to think of my friend Dr. Delco (Wayne Spahr). Wayne sold ALL of his museum and literature and memorabilia to some one. He is no longer taking orders for manuals and things.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:14:16 PM
Registered-I

Delco Don,
I saw Wayne about 4 yrs ago. He sold me one of the LAST repro delco salesman's lamps (looks like a delco engine) that he had cast. I appreciate the update.

By the way , my next restore project is a 2 cyl Delco with a 110v slug. Do you have any of these engines or whereabouts? it is missing the air cleaner
I would like to get a reprint of the original manual .

In May 1994 I listed a Delco article with Gas Engine Magazine (GEM ) called "Light years of pleasure" . I show a model 850 and a model 600.

JT
Old 01-16-2006, 08:36:14 PM
Registered-II

Smile Re: DelcoLight Generator Identity and Info Sought

Restogreen and Don ;
Thanks for all the info. Greatly appreciated.
I wondered how the engine "changed" from one fuel to another. You were right, the paint underneath is black. I'll remove and clean out the mixer, take the head off and give it a de-coke, and check the rest of it out before trying to start it. It may be a couple of months before I start to work on it as I have to finish a Boulton & Paul yacht lighting plant I have had for almost two years. ( http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/6403/a2ke.jpg ) Photo Nov.05.

I would like to accept your offer of a copy of a manual,Don. I'll be in touch in a couple of days.

Once again, many thanks for your assistance. Best regards, Dave Carter
Old 01-17-2006, 12:55:47 AM
In Memory Of

Dave;

That's a beautifull restoration. Is it 32 volts as a lot of marine generators were/are?

I can't find that company in any of my books. Was that an England built unit? Did it have a water pump on it to take water out of the water the yacht was in, or did it always have the radiator?

These are questions that came to mind as I was looking at your picture. Maybe only a Delco-Light collector would have thought of those questions.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:22:41 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,165 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C. Wiley
Dave;

That's a beautifull restoration. Is it 32 volts as a lot of marine generators were/are?

I can't find that company in any of my books. Was that an England built unit? Did it have a water pump on it to take water out of the water the yacht was in, or did it always have the radiator?

These are questions that came to mind as I was looking at your picture. Maybe only a Delco-Light collector would have thought of those questions.

Don:

Boulton & Paul were into small generating sets for homes in the early 1900's, and they were a UK company.

Patrick Livingston in Australia has one IIRC, I sent him some info out of one of our books a year or two back, still has it as far as I know.

Peter
Old 01-17-2006, 07:51:05 PM
Registered-II

Don;

The set is variable up to 100v dc , 9.1 amps @ 1000rpm. (3 1/4" stroke,4" stroke, and about 2 1/4 hp) It has a brass coolant circulation pump, which were fitted to sets for yacht lighting according to an article printed nearly thirty years ago. The radiator has always been part of the set.
There are some photos of its rebuild at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/no1djc

The products of Boulton and Paul of Norwich, England were quite diverse over the years. There is a 1930's engine catalogue, company history and a copy of an 1898 product catalogue at:

http://norfolkancestors.org/boultonintro.htm

B&P ceased producing engines in 1932.

Depending on what I find when stripping down the Delco will determine if it gets the same treatment!

Regards, Dave.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:20:16 PM
Registered

I have a delco 12v farm generator rescued from a family farm in Tennessee. It is sitting in my barn and I would like to give it to someone who could use it. I was told that it was working at the time that TVA connected the lines to the farm, I believe in the thirties or fourties. I am located in Watkinsville Ga, just outside of Athens. If you would like to have this unit and are willing to come and pick it up, it is yours. Contact me at chasblair@yahoo.com PS IT IS QUITE HEAVY.