Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

My Trip North

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 964 times

Old 11-22-2002, 11:56:53 PM
Jim Tremble

Default My Trip North

I just got back from a week long trip to Washington State. I had a very pleasant morning with John Iverson talking and running his engines. A very good guy. THANKS, JOHN.

I spent every day at my buddy's machine shop, milling out parts for the OLD Tractor that I am building. Spindles, rear axel adapters, couplers for the trans and differential, etc. Even made a new cam shaft and cut the keyways for my Alpha DeLaval while I was there.

I also took 2, 20" steel wheels. (front wheels for the tractor) The hubs were worn so bad that they had to be turned for bearings.

To my dismay, My buddy's milling machine was not big enough to mount the 20" wheels. I needed 10" from the frame to the center of the cutter.

NO PROBLEM !!! He had a friend, Steve, 2 blocks away that has a Bridge Port in the garage. After talking to Steve, he says bring the wheels down and he would do the job for me.

WELL, Steve did not have the tooling to do the job. He had a tool holder that had .008 clearance on the holder (2" bore) and was afraid he would destroy the hub if the cutter hung up for some reason.

Attempt #3. Wednesday evening. Called another high school buddy that is a machinist. Glen said he had a lathe which would chuck up a 22" piece of stock and would be happy to do the job for me. Only problem here was he couldn't do it until Monday evening. RATS !!

Wednesday night, another friend (Mike) calls me to BS and we talk. Mike tells me of a machine shop (Shurman Machine, Battle Ground Wn.)that would do the job. The owner also plays with the old hit-miss engines. I AM IN ON THIS ONE !! I call Allen and get his wife on the phone. She says, "Get the wheels out here before the mills of lathes are tied up. Allen would be most interested in what you are doing". This is at 7:00 in the morning. (Thursday)

WELL, I drive out to the shop and they are already loaded with work. My job can not be done till Friday. (Keep in mind, I left 6:30 AM on Friday). I thanked Allen for his time and he says, " being you like old engines and such, feel free to look around the property.

He pointed out 5 large buildings and told me what was in each. Steam, Hit-Miss-, Cars, Trucks, Tractors, and so on. He also has a BONE YARD that I thoroughly enjoyed. You name it, he has it.

Now to the Kicker. The first door I opened was for the Hit-Miss engines. I could not believe my eyes. 3 STICKNEYS sitting side by side. A 1-1/2 HP, a 3 HP, and a 7 HP all restored and looking good. (I understand these are very rare engines) I was hoping in my lifetime, I would get to see just one. BUT 3 ?????

BTW, I have been invited back for their club show in July. Allen says he would like to have more people help out with the displays and run the engines, tractors, cars and trucks, and mostly the steam equipment he has restored.

Guess where I am moving to, back home, Vancouver Washington in a few years ???

Jim Isleton, Ca.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2002, 01:27:08 AM
Craig

Default Re: My Trip North

Well now, PLEASE give us more info on this OLD tractor you are building/rebuilding---sounds like that's right up my alley!! Craig
Old 11-24-2002, 01:50:58 AM
John Iverson

Thanks Jim, for you kind words and for taking the time to look me up! I had a great time also, we got to make some old iron spin. I got to thinking about it after you left and wished we would have run the 10 hp M longer, really should have let it run an hour or so just to shake up the spiders.... But all in all, it was a great Nov. day in Washington.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:54:08 PM
Jim Tremble

Craig

I haven't taken a photo of the frame and rear wheels as yet. Will do in the next day or so. I am using the rear half of a pre 1920 Tomato Planter. To bad the front half was destroyed.

I can post photos of what I have done so far, to the board, if any are interested. If not, I don't want to tie up Harry's board and I can send them to you directly.

The engine will be either a 3 HP. Sattley H&M or a 5 HP. FBM Z Throttler.

The trans. and diff. are made as a solid unit by way of a rigid coupler. The trans. is from a Volvo. (4 sp) The diff. is from a Datsun 240 Z. I made 2 axel adapters for the diff. and the 1-1/2" solid axels. The axels will be welded to the new adapters.

I am using an angle drive, that was given to me, from some sort of farm implement. Had to do some machine work on it and make some parts.

Front wheels are 20" steel implement wheels. Rear is 30" (All will be covered with black rubber belting.) Have to bore the hubs as they are warn to badly. Made the spindles and spacers, have the bearings. Ready to go once the hubs are milled. Working on a steering design at this time. I acquired a steering box that we found in the woods back in 1962-63. My friend kept it all of these years waiting to find a home for it. Pre 1920.

I have to design a clutch system for this. I don't know if the belt tightener system will work or not. I am using a 4" flat belt from the engine to the angle drive.

The brakes will be applied by an original hand lever that was on the planter. (I have another which I think I will use for the clutch lever)This lever raised and lowered the planting deck. Now I will redo some of the linkage so it will apply pressure to wooden blocks that will rub the inside of the rear wheels.

That is as far as I have gotten on it. Always thinking. Nice little project for the parades and shows.

Let me know if you guys would like some photos.

Jim
Old 11-24-2002, 02:57:24 PM
Craig

As for the clutch business--how about a couple SHEAVES!!!! HA HA HA HA HA Craig ;-)