Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

If there is an easier way

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1285 times

Old 01-11-2004, 04:57:57 PM
Eric McKenna

Default If there is an easier way

Anybody make wood axles for the skeins that fit old iron wheels?? I am squaring off the dimensions and then will use a hand grinder to round them off..............red oak takes a long time to cut through!! I guess its a good winter project for the patient......only three more ends to go!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2004, 05:42:09 PM
Peter Holmander

Default Re: If there is an easier way

That would be done with a bandsaw and a lathe or a tablesaw and then a lathe. Oak turns very nice. A good woodlathe man could do that job for you in about 20 minutes, especially if they were already cut down. You could also cut them down with a skilsaw with a good carbide blade,,,,then finish the end of the cut with a handsaw. If you go the skilsaw method,,,make sure you clamp them down, so when you're done, you have all your fingers left. Safety First! Good luck!!
Old 01-11-2004, 08:50:30 PM
Nick Stanley

If you didn't have a lathe, you could always whip out the drawshave. Checking your fit in the skeins each time by chalking the wood and turning it a few degrees each way and see where the chalk is rubbed off. Good Luck! -Nick
Old 01-12-2004, 12:59:32 AM
Craig Anderson

Are are SURE the skein is ROUND? Can't say I've seen a round one. They are usually oval shaped to prevent the skein from spinning on the axle. In addition, they are heated VERY hot and shrunk to the axle and then quenched so if it's done right, you'd better have have it right the first time. I have done it and I've heard that's also how they fit them: heated them up, checked the fit, scraped off the charred wood until it almost fit and then went in for the finish. Craig
Old 01-12-2004, 01:06:14 AM
Don C. Wiley

I'd go for a VERY sharp "draw knife" first and finish with a VERY sharp "spoke shave", for the final fit. The chalk or heated and chared would make for a perfect fit it you take your time. Sounds a lot like scraping a babbitt bearing.

I've got four to fit if I live that long. I never checked to see if they are oval instead of round, but it makes sense.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Old 01-12-2004, 10:45:37 AM
Patrick Marsh

Check out this web site. It is about building wooden wagons.

http://209.35.81.43/Current%20Projec...the%20Shop.htm
Old 01-13-2004, 07:01:16 PM
Eric McKenna

THANKS TO ALL THE "STACKERS" for the help and advise. I think this project is starting to come along pretty well, I am keeping a photo PLAY BY PLAY record of this project on my photoisland page and will make it available to those who are interested THANKS EVERYONE..and HARRY for this site!!