Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

An easier way ?

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1199 times

Old 12-03-2002, 10:12:43 PM
Dave Haning

Default An easier way ?

Something wonderful is happening to my engines! As I get older they're gaining compression! Don't know why or how this is happening but I'm finding it harder to pull my 7hp Herc and 6hp FBM through. Not too long ago it seems there was a discussion on bounce starting. Can someone shed a little light on this for me? Seems like this might be a little easier. Thanks, Dave--
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2002, 10:18:15 AM
Bob Brown

Default Re: An easier way ?

I have a 5 h.p. Jeager that I start by pulling it back against compression. You have to pull it through to choke it and suck the gas into it and then I just bounce it back against compression hard enough to trip the mag and it usually starts right up. Do not retard the timing if there is a retard lever. You will just have to pull it harder if you do. Good luck. Bob Brown
Old 12-04-2002, 10:40:06 AM
John R.

Dave, I start my 8-HP Sparta by holding the exhaust valve open with my left hand while turning the flywheel with my right hand. Just a few degrees before top dead center, I let go of the rocker arm thats holding the exhaust valve open, and it fires right up. You may need to prime the cylinder first. It takes a little practice, but what does'nt. Have fun!
Old 12-04-2002, 12:41:29 PM
Joe Morris

Both Bob and John have the right idea. I might add that the reason for leaving the spark advance lever in advanced position is that some times when bounceing back you have to bounce it back so hard to get it to trip that sometimes it will go over the wrong way I/E on through top dead center. I have a six horse Fairbanks H that I start by pulling it through one intake stroke to prime it then use the method discribed by holding the intake until near T.D.C. then push it on over and it is running. Neither of these methods work too well unless the engine has good compression.