Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Old Skinner Universal Unaflow steam engine Wanted

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 4581 times

Old 06-26-2004, 12:10:54 AM
Humphreys

Default Old Skinner Universal Unaflow steam engine Wanted

Hello,

I am searching for an old universal unaflow steam engine to purchase.

Please email: Humphreys84@hotmail.com

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2004, 09:30:40 PM
Joe W K in NH

Default Re: old Skinner Universal Unaflow steam engine Wan

You don't elaborate.

Vertical or horizontal (Skinner made both) Do you need atmospheric valves incorporated? (Skinner mostly made uniflows "with" but engines without are known.)

And perhaps most importantly, what size?

And perhaps MOST importantly to your wallet, delivery to where?

Big questions - big engines. Good for manufacturers whose process results in a lot of waste fuel, i.e. such as chair builders, furniture shops, etc.

Good engines though. Much in demand from people with alternate energy utilization in mind.

Best, Joe W K in NH
Old 07-24-2004, 11:27:28 PM
Ed Schott

I've seen a few Skinners, but they're gone now. I have a new set of 26 inch piston rings for a horizontal Skinner, also the installation instructions, nameplate & oiling system parts. It was at Wood & Brooks, formerly Thayer Paino Action Co. Rockford, Ill.

There were several engines, including a vertical Skinner & a Greenwald gridiron valve rope drive engine in use at Beaumont Rice Mill, Beaumont Tex in 1973. Probably gone now. The "City of Midland" & "Badger" car ferries on Lake Michigan use steeple compound vertical Skinners.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:45:43 AM
James Hefner

I live in the Beaumont area; where exactly is/was Beaumont Rice Mill? I will be glad to check it out.

I am sure it is no longer running; but it may still be there. There is an old grain elevator or rice mill with an ancient boiler house; perhaps that is the one you are referring.

Douget Rice Mill appears to be throughly modern.

-James Hefner Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project
Old 07-28-2004, 06:48:44 PM
James Hefner

Default It's still there (Beaumont Rice Mill)

I stopped by Beaumont Rice Mill while running errands today. The Skinner Unaflow, plus another Skinner minus cylinder heads, are still on the mill site, along with the rotting remains of the c.1907 boilerhouse.

The rope-drive engine went to a museum in Florida about fifteen years ago, where it is now ran on compressed air. Some of the old-timers at the mill went to Florida to see it run.

There is also a small vertical blower engine driving an induced-draft fan at the boilerhouse. The boilerhouse itself was too derelict to explore; it would be started on natural gas, then switched to rice hulls as fuel once the mill got going.

They are willing to give the Skinner Unaflow engine to whoever is willing and able to dis-assemble and remove it. It is under cover, and asside from cobwebs and surface rust, is in good shape.

I took pictures with a disposable camera I had on me; if they don't come out, I will return with my digital camera.

-James Hefner Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project
Old 10-15-2008, 01:19:00 AM

Thanked 4,294,967,133 Times in 3,930 Posts
Default Re: old Skinner Universal Unaflow steam engine Wanted

Any interest from these people--if we can locate them--for the Skinner?

Beth
Old 10-16-2008, 10:13:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts
Default Re: Old Skinner Universal Unaflow steam engine Wanted

I emailed them but it bounced back.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:43:21 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,133 Times in 3,930 Posts

Motomowers,

RATS!!!!

At least you tried....maybe someone knows them & can pass on the message!?!

Beth
Old 10-17-2008, 07:38:45 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts

I still think with all the steam engines and related folk at the Conn Antique Mach Assoc there has to be someone connected with the club that would have some interest. I know there are members who have the equipt to remove it without a doubt, and some have the wallet from what Ive seen the last 20 years LOL. I will try to contact the club to see if they have any idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motormowers For This Post: