Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Wind Wheel air cooled engine info ?

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 4050 times

Old 07-15-2009, 04:12:56 PM
Registered-I

Default Wind Wheel air cooled engine info ?

I have just traded for a running one cylinder Wind Wheel oil field engine Model #331COF Serial # 3301478. I need any information as to history of engine and the Holtkamp Company. How rare are the Wind Wheel now? Any information would be helpful. As a child one of the oil leases behind our farm had a Wind Wheel powering a Oilwell brand pump jack for a 2000' well. This engine was from the Parkersburg West Virginia area. Are there any owners out there and are there any hints and tricks ith this unit. It was gasoline powered origionally but has been converted to propane by a needle valve and regulator from a gas grill . Thanks Mark Sergent
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2009, 09:59:38 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Wind Wheel air cooled engine info ?

Hey mark I had one at one time,i have some history on them from the guy who built them. And also rusty farmer had a article about them years ago in the gas engine magazine.Jason
Old 07-21-2009, 09:54:36 AM
Subscriber

Try this: http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/G...arch-2003.aspx
Old 08-26-2009, 09:02:36 PM
Registered-I

Hi, I'am a well tender in central WV and our company has around a dozen oil wells still using windwheel engines. Just yesterday we installed a twin that had been sitting idle out in the weather for several years. After filing the points it fired right up. They are one tough little engine. I have one that has ran 8 hours a week on natural gas for 10 years and the only thing I have done to it is adjust the valves and replaced a leaking head gasket. Most of the time the head bolt just above the exhaust valve will twist off.

Sonny
Old 08-26-2009, 09:26:18 PM
Subscriber

Hey Mark,
As you already know, I know nothing about them. It is a good looking engine. I think you need to set up a date and time for all of us to meet at Pete's and work on it. You know that amoung the four of us, we can get it running!
Jeff
Old 08-26-2009, 09:42:03 PM
Registered-III

Jeff,
If that bunch gets together , I don't think there would be that much work getting done . ( if you know what I mean )
Just need to get Web and Roland in there too !!!!!

Pete

Last edited by Pete Nichols; 08-26-2009 at 09:51:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:45:14 AM
Registered

Anyone looking for information about Wind Whell engines you can contact me at jholtkamp@centraliahs.org. My Dad was the developer of this engine. I have alot of original info on it. I sent Mark Sargent some pictures, manuals and other information on his model. They made single and two cylinder models. Holtkamp Electric company in Centralia, Il was the manufacturer.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:27:29 AM
elehman

John, I purchased 2 Windwheel engines. A single and a twin. They were to be scraped for junk. I'm fom S.E. Ohio and pumped wells for 15 years. One was a twin Windwheel. When I get them home, I may be emailing you. Would love to have a copy of the owners manual.

Earl R. Lehman
Old 08-18-2014, 08:21:59 PM
elehman

Just an update. I got the single cly. running on propane and it runs great. I'm working on the twin now. Needs some TLC but I'm sure it will run again. Thanks to John Holtkamp's help.