Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

12hp Reid serial number

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 3813 times

Old 01-08-2013, 10:31:28 PM
Subscriber

Default 12hp Reid serial number

Hi all. I unloaded my Reid engine and began cleaning it up. Just behind the hot tube there is a cast in number 54926, just ahead of the cylinder oiler on the flange is stamped 789, and on the companion flange ahead of that at 10 o'clock is stamped 1904. Are any of these the serial number? If so what is the date? Thanks. I am sure there will be many more questions to follow.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47:30 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: 12hp Reid serial number

Most Reids have the serial number stamped on the top of the flanges that join the bed to the cylinder. Each one should have a stamp. Additionally my 12, my 15 and my 20 (1904, 1900 and 1913) have the serial number stamped on the end of the crankshaft on the charging cylinder side
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Ethridge For This Post:
Old 01-08-2013, 11:57:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,146 Times in 331 Posts

The # 1904 on the bed plate flange is what it started out when built. Would make it built in 1902. The 789 on the cylinder flange would date that as built in 1899. But the 54926 is a # you would see on a square pad on top of the cylinder behind the chimney. These were on replacement cylinders. Maybe the replacement cylinder was installed on the 789 bedplate the 1st time around. Look on the ends of the crank / wheel there you will find numbers. Interesting
Old 01-13-2013, 11:18:57 PM
Subscriber

Ron, is this your 12h? The one in the picture has a newer Script cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas.1.7.2013006.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	154910  
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44:14 AM
Subscriber

Yes this is a picture of my engine at the Knox sale. Got the cylinders freed up today.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12:54 PM
Sponsor

Sounds like your bedplate is #789. Does your bedplate have the two screw holes on the clutch side where the cast iron tag would have been? Reid started putting the brass tags on the cylinder right around #800. This would really help narrow it down. Ignore the 54926 number. When Reid worked on an engine they would stamp them with a work/invoice number which is what this is. At first they stamped this number on the outside of the main cylinder where it sticks through the bedplate. Most of them that I have seen are a three digit number. After that they started stamping the number on the bottom of the cylinder where the transfer valves goes in, facing the flywheels. On later engines they started casting the flat spot on top of the cylinder by the hot tube. Most of these numbers have an A or B in front of them. A stands for work on the main cylinder and B for the charge cylinder. This same number is stamped on the face of the piston which was worked on. Although I have seen one Reid where the A/B were opposite, but for the most part they are the way I just described. Having this number stamped on your engine in one of the three spots does not mean the cylinder is a replacement. I have a 1902 with all matching serial numbers that has this work/invoice number on the back of main cylinder. A 1902 with all matching serial numbers with the work number stamped on the bottom of cylinder by the transfer valve. A 1929 and 1930 all matching numbers with the number stamped on the flat by the hot tube. The 1930 engine has a BXXXX and the number is stamped on the face of the charge piston. The charge cylinder was bored bigger to 8.375 and is stamped on the back lip of the cylinder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Tachoir For This Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 12:02:45 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,809 Times in 250 Posts

[A stands for work on the main cylinder and B for the charge cylinder. This same number is stamped on the face of the piston which was worked on.]

Sorry Steve but I have to disagree or at least point out that such was not always the case.. My 15 is stamped on the flat with a B code. I was lucky enough to peruse the original factory ledger for my serial # and it was noted that my engine was equipped with that code cylinder/piston set when made. (all engines in that ledger were noted with a specific B code cylinder set). I also reviewed the factory cylinder production ledger which showed when each B code cylinder set was made. The serial # on my cyl and the bedplate match and both pistons are marked with the same B code # as the cylinder on their crown. Bill Klein
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ledger cylinder #6.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	155350   Click image for larger version

Name:	ledger eng. #4.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	155351   Click image for larger version

Name:	ledger6.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	155352  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to W.P.Klein For This Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 12:08:33 AM
Subscriber

Photo Re: 12hp Reid serial number

The cylinder has clearly been updated. Newer version with Script on the top above brass tag and pop off on the end of the charge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gas_1_7_2013010-M.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	155355  
Old 01-19-2013, 05:12:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanks guys for all the good information. Steve; mine does not have the holes for the tag on the side. I got the charge cylinder cleaned up, the engine will bounce back against comprtssion and suction. Tomorrow the main piston comes out to be cleaned up. Lots more questions to follow.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:20:30 PM
Sponsor

Bill,
Are those ledgers what Drakes Well have? How early of a serial number do the ledgers go back? So every engine had a different B# to match the two pistons and cylinder together, none the same. Thanks Steve
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00:56 PM
Subscriber

Next question: I am trying to remove the main valve from the main valve case. I removed the cotter pin, the 1 1/8" hex nut. It appears the main valve plunger also screws onto the valve stem. Is this correct? Looks like it takes a special tool to grip the inside. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:28:37 PM
Subscriber

Seems like someone sold a Reid cast Iron engine tag in the last month # 789 on Harrys engine ads. Anyone see that ?
Old 03-28-2016, 05:52:39 PM
Sponsor

It was tag #678. It was sold before I saw it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Tachoir For This Post:
Old 04-03-2016, 05:26:24 PM
Subscriber

Back with another question. I have had the Reid at a couple of shows, the first it ran OK for about six hours but not as good as I would like, needed adjusting the fuel and air from time to time. The second was yesterday, it started and ran for about an hour and a half then quit, restarted and would run for 10 to 20 minutes and quit. Spark is good. I had to take the governor valve assembly completely apart when I first got it and make new threaded rods and lost the "nick" to measure 1" from. I am sure both the air and fuel valve are not adjusted properly. Could someone measure the distance from the casting where the air and fuel go in to the faces of the brass slide valves with the engine stopped. I think this would give me a base to start with. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:00:59 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,188 Times in 408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Haskell View Post
Back with another question. I have had the Reid at a couple of shows, the first it ran OK for about six hours but not as good as I would like, needed adjusting the fuel and air from time to time. The second was yesterday, it started and ran for about an hour and a half then quit, restarted and would run for 10 to 20 minutes and quit. Spark is good. I had to take the governor valve assembly completely apart when I first got it and make new threaded rods and lost the "nick" to measure 1" from. I am sure both the air and fuel valve are not adjusted properly. Could someone measure the distance from the casting where the air and fuel go in to the faces of the brass slide valves with the engine stopped. I think this would give me a base to start with. Thanks.
Ron if you are trying to run the engine on the Gov. without putting it under a load you are going to chasing your tail. There are some engine that will run on the Gov. but everything has to be just right. If you want a good running engine pull the air mixer Valve out of the engine, and put on something you can control the air with. Like another Larger Gas Valve. Just a thought. .......................DH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BuckeyeMan For This Post: