Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

FM CZ 118 engine

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1077 times

Old 03-05-2017, 12:00:00 PM
Registered

Default FM CZ 118 engine

I have a FM CZ 118 engine with a impco 110 propane carburetor It is really hard to start. I don't know if it is flooding or starving for fuel. Any experience with this setup would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2017, 03:28:14 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,735 Times in 4,280 Posts
Default Re: FM CZ 118 engine

Black smoke when the engine starts? If so maybe flooded. Try shooting a little gasoline in the intake. BE CAREFUL with spillage! if the engine starts right away, then it is too lean on start. If it does not start, then it is flooding. Turn off gas to start and clear out the intake. Demand type regulater? it may be dirty or gave propane oil in it, restricting the diaphragm, or the diaphragm may be hardened with age. both will make for hadr starting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 08:00:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,587 Times in 1,782 Posts

With an impco be careful starting on gasoline. You can blow the diaphragm out of it. Is the carb side draft or updraft? If side draft it may be binding inside itself. You need to have the correct amount of fuel pressure feeding it too. If you want call my shop Monday and I'll give you more info. PM me for my number if you want.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:41:00 PM
Registered

I'm sorry but I don't know what pm me means. I am barely computer literate. I am a lot older than the computer generation. If you will email me your phone number I would love to talk to you. I am in Utah and this isn't oilfield country. My email address is jbriser@comcast.net
Thanks Brent Riser
Old 03-08-2017, 11:42:25 PM
eMail NOT Working

PM means 'private message'. I'm betting he's already emailed you... Eddie's an awesome guy, he's just that way.

Most of the time, when people have problems with propane or natural gas fueling systems, the problem is something simple, and something that the operator didn't know... like... what sort of regulation needs to go to the mixer, and how the plumbing is sized and connected.

Gaseous fueling for these engines when they were in the oilfield, were frequently done using 'well head gas'... meaning, whatever natural gas flavor happened to be coming up the wellhead at the same time that oil was being pumped. It wasn't unusual for the wellhead gas to be just enough pressure, when pumping, to keep the engine running... and not enough to make it run too fast... and as a result, some of the controls were downright crude... a valve going to the manifold... no regulators, no lockoff... pressure coming up was in the ounce or less range.

Since yours has an Impco 100 mixer, then it needs to be fed with a 'demand regulator'... aka a 'zero governor'... a regulator that meters fuel based on demand vacuum signal from the venturi of a carb, or in your case, the inlet port of a mixer. The demand reg flows fuel when there's draught in the venture (technical term, is that it's regulated to a slightly LOWER than atmospheric pressure). The demand reg is basically always set to accept gaseous fuel at a pressure of 11" of water column (w.c.)... which is typically provided by a 'brown' colored fuel regulator valve. The 11" w.c. regulator gets fed 10psi from a 'first stage' (red colored) regulator on the tank...

and the fuel hose from the tank to red is usually pretty small, the fuel hose from the red reg to brown is larger... and from the brown reg to demand reg (aka fuel controller or zero governor) is larger yet... and the last line, from the demand reg/fuel controller/zero governor to the mixer is largest.

Some day, I should draw a diagram of this...
The Following User Says Thank You to dkamp For This Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 06:00:15 PM
Registered

The folks at impco told me the 110 carb needed 2in. water column pressure to the carb. I couldn't find a regulator That went that low so a guy told me to take the spring out of the regulator. That seemed to work and I could see the diaphragm go up and down on the intake stroke. I think most home appliance regulators are tank to 11in wc
Old 03-26-2017, 04:01:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,587 Times in 1,782 Posts

who did you contact? The actual company Impco or a dealer?

This application generally gets 4-6 oz of gas pressure. 6 oz is the same as 10.5" water column. We have set up 100s at 6oz. With great success

I'd say 2" wc = 3.5 oz.

To beat the dead horse 2" water column is not 2 oz of gas pressure.

Last edited by Reed Engine; 03-26-2017 at 04:14:04 PM.