Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Studleigh and Chapman Engines

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 421 times

Old 06-25-2019, 04:51:34 AM
Registered-III

Default Studleigh and Chapman Engines

If when doing research on Trove, you canít find what you are looking for, come at it from another angle. I have found a fair bit of extra information that way.

An example, when looking for the beginning of Graham Chapmanís engine production, I searched Clara St, his address. That is where I found these ads for Studleigh. It is hard to believe that there were two different engine manufacturers in Clara St, Erskineville at the same time, especially back in 1908. From the wording of the ads, I would assume that Chapman and Studleigh were the same person. But, why use an alias?

The display ad, below, shows one of the first engines Chapman made. They are now quite rare. The crankcase would suit a 2 stroke engine, something he later produced. Note the similar wording to the Studleigh ads regarding hp and price. One change is that the 1/2hp has been dropped.

21-3-1908
Small gas and oil engine castings for sale, 1/2 to 4hp, with drawings. Studleigh, Clara-st, Erskineville.

11-4-1908
Small gas and oil engines, from 1/2 to 4hp, built to order, from £12. Studleigh, Clara-st, Erskineville.

17-7-1908
Wanted, price for erecting small workshop. Apply Studleigh, Clara-st, Erskineville.

20-10-1908
Engineering. Boy wanted to become apprenticed to gas and oil engine manufacturer; premium required. Apply Studleigh, Clara-st, Erskineville.

Although I have not seen any information on the gas engines, I would think they were just petrol engines converted to run on town gas.

Sometimes I think that people these days donít give Chapman the credit he deserves. The Pup engines were invented by him in 1926, and made in large numbers. He claimed to have made over 600 per year before production stopped during the war. Blaxland Rae were licensed to build them in 1938, and in 1949 bought Chapmanís business.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chap.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	337840  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eric Schulz For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2019, 08:36:41 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Studleigh and Chapman engines

When I run into a dead end on google etc, I start spelling incorrectly. Sometime it picks up extra information, as some very intelligent people have not been the best spellers. I first worked this trick out with the simple spell mistake ď deiselĒ