Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Wico OC Mag Question

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 463 times

Old 06-26-2019, 08:07:15 AM
Subscriber

Default Wico OC Mag Question

I have a Wico OC that is putting out what I think is a weak spark. The spark looks like a dull yellow. Is that normal, or should it be blue? Anything I can do to improve the spark? There is plenty of info on the net about Wico mags, but not much at all about the OC model. I looked into having it rebuilt, but no luck on that either. I found one place that will do an outright exchange for a rebuilt unit. Hate to spend the money on something I can fix myself with a little help.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2019, 09:58:45 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Wico OC Mag question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Holmander View Post
I have a Wico OC that is putting out what I think is a weak spark. The spark looks like a dull yellow. Is that normal, or should it be blue? Anything I can do to improve the spark? There is plenty of info on the net about Wico mags, but not much at all about the OC model. I looked into having it rebuilt, but no luck on that either. I found one place that will do an outright exchange for a rebuilt unit. Hate to spend the money on something I can fix myself with a little help.
The WICO "OC" is little more than an "EK" on steroids. The biggest difference is the drive mechanism. A properly functioning "OC" will easily spark across a ¼" gap and will usually do at least ⅜". I would be reluctant to stretch a spark gap that far merely because of the voltage stress that it puts on the 100-year-old insulation. On a clean spark plug in a darkened room, you should be seeing a nice fat spark; "OC" mags are not wimpy. The "OC" does have a condenser in it. That would be a place to look if you're having trouble. Check the points for oil and corrosion as well as gap setting, and make sure the drive mechanism isn't sluggish. I have a vague recollection of seeing a service manual for the "OC". I'll see if I can locate it.

I found the "OC" manual. Here's a link to it:
https://oldcroak.com/wico-oc-magneto-service-manual/

Last edited by Kirk Taylor; 06-26-2019 at 10:03:35 AM. Reason: New information
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirk Taylor For This Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 11:07:36 AM
Banner Sponsor

Any OC Wico magneto has to be capable of jumping a 1/2" air gap and you should be able to hear the spark jump. That is what is necessary for the big engines they are found on and if its not blue you have a issue with your points or condenser . If you are only getting a weak spark that only jumps 1/4 " you have a coil that is bad. Good luck, Mitch
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitch Malcolm For This Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 11:17:36 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Malcolm View Post
Any OC Wico magneto has to be capable of jumping a 1/2" air gap and you should be able to hear the spark jump. That is what is necessary for the big engines they are found on and if its not blue you have a issue with your points or condenser . If you are only getting a weak spark that only jumps 1/4 " you have a coil that is bad. Good luck, Mitch
Thanks, Mitch.
I didn't know that the "OC" mags were required to jump that far and never purposely pushed one to that point. I do know that they are quite snappy when they're working as they should.
Do you know, off-hand, the capacitance of the condenser; I never measured one? Just curious.

Kirk
Old 06-26-2019, 01:55:40 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,726 Times in 4,272 Posts

I would check the points for cleanliness, and also all contacts for crrosion. i would replace the condenser too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 08:43:55 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Wico OC Mag Question

Thanks for all the great responses !! Does there have to be a spark plug to test the spark strength, of can you just short it to a common ground? I was told it's not good for any magneto to not have a path for the current to flow to when testing it.

---------- Post added at 08:43:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39:41 AM ----------

Thanks for the link to the OC manual Kirk !! I have one, but the one you posted is better. Much more legible.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:29:34 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Wico OC Mag Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Holmander View Post
Thanks for all the great responses !! Does there have to be a spark plug to test the spark strength, of can you just short it to a common ground? I was told it's not good for any magneto to not have a path for the current to flow to when testing it.

---------- Post added at 08:43:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39:41 AM ----------

Thanks for the link to the OC manual Kirk !! I have one, but the one you posted is better. Much more legible.
A spark gap is a spacing between the "hot" and the "ground". A spark plug is just a fixed gap. To check the spark length, space the end of the spark plug wire a certain distance from the magneto case and snap the mag. If the mag has to jump a ½" gap, then space the plug wire ½" away from the case. (Yes, electrode shape has some bearing on attainable spark length, but that isn't overly relevant, here.)
You are correct in that a magneto needs a path to ground. You will be providing that path by setting a gap. If you merely let the plug wire hang out in the middle of nowhere, you create a spark gap that is grossly beyond the limits of the magneto. High voltage tends to find the easiest path. If that path is through the insulation, then that's the way it will go. Unfortunately, the insulation in our old mags is not self-healing and is not robust enough to withstand the voltage capability of the mag and is quickly destroyed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Taylor For This Post: