Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Wico OC Mag Question


this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 463 times

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-26-2019, 08:07:15 AM
Peter Holmander Peter Holmander is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island
Posts: 654
Thanks: 1,112
Thanked 607 Times in 259 Posts
Default Wico OC Mag Question

I have a Wico OC that is putting out what I think is a weak spark. The spark looks like a dull yellow. Is that normal, or should it be blue? Anything I can do to improve the spark? There is plenty of info on the net about Wico mags, but not much at all about the OC model. I looked into having it rebuilt, but no luck on that either. I found one place that will do an outright exchange for a rebuilt unit. Hate to spend the money on something I can fix myself with a little help.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-26-2019, 09:58:45 AM
Kirk Taylor Kirk Taylor is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bedford, PA
Posts: 938
Thanks: 0
Thanked 597 Times in 348 Posts
Default Re: Wico OC Mag question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Holmander View Post
I have a Wico OC that is putting out what I think is a weak spark. The spark looks like a dull yellow. Is that normal, or should it be blue? Anything I can do to improve the spark? There is plenty of info on the net about Wico mags, but not much at all about the OC model. I looked into having it rebuilt, but no luck on that either. I found one place that will do an outright exchange for a rebuilt unit. Hate to spend the money on something I can fix myself with a little help.
The WICO "OC" is little more than an "EK" on steroids. The biggest difference is the drive mechanism. A properly functioning "OC" will easily spark across a ¼" gap and will usually do at least ⅜". I would be reluctant to stretch a spark gap that far merely because of the voltage stress that it puts on the 100-year-old insulation. On a clean spark plug in a darkened room, you should be seeing a nice fat spark; "OC" mags are not wimpy. The "OC" does have a condenser in it. That would be a place to look if you're having trouble. Check the points for oil and corrosion as well as gap setting, and make sure the drive mechanism isn't sluggish. I have a vague recollection of seeing a service manual for the "OC". I'll see if I can locate it.

I found the "OC" manual. Here's a link to it:
https://oldcroak.com/wico-oc-magneto-service-manual/

Last edited by Kirk Taylor; 06-26-2019 at 10:03:35 AM. Reason: New information
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirk Taylor For This Post:
  #3  
Old 06-26-2019, 11:07:36 AM
Mitch Malcolm Mitch Malcolm is offline
Banner Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ottertail, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 609
Thanks: 755
Thanked 581 Times in 313 Posts
Default Re: Wico OC Mag question

Any OC Wico magneto has to be capable of jumping a 1/2" air gap and you should be able to hear the spark jump. That is what is necessary for the big engines they are found on and if its not blue you have a issue with your points or condenser . If you are only getting a weak spark that only jumps 1/4 " you have a coil that is bad. Good luck, Mitch
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitch Malcolm For This Post:
  #4  
Old 06-26-2019, 11:17:36 AM
Kirk Taylor Kirk Taylor is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bedford, PA
Posts: 938
Thanks: 0
Thanked 597 Times in 348 Posts
Default Re: Wico OC Mag question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Malcolm View Post
Any OC Wico magneto has to be capable of jumping a 1/2" air gap and you should be able to hear the spark jump. That is what is necessary for the big engines they are found on and if its not blue you have a issue with your points or condenser . If you are only getting a weak spark that only jumps 1/4 " you have a coil that is bad. Good luck, Mitch
Thanks, Mitch.
I didn't know that the "OC" mags were required to jump that far and never purposely pushed one to that point. I do know that they are quite snappy when they're working as they should.
Do you know, off-hand, the capacitance of the condenser; I never measured one? Just curious.

Kirk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-26-2019, 01:55:40 PM
Andrew Mackey Andrew Mackey is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rockaway, New Jersey USA
Posts: 14,093
Thanks: 1,992
Thanked 6,726 Times in 4,272 Posts
Default Re: Wico OC Mag question

I would check the points for cleanliness, and also all contacts for crrosion. i would replace the condenser too.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
  #6  
Old 06-27-2019, 08:43:55 AM
Peter Holmander Peter Holmander is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island
Posts: 654
Thanks: 1,112
Thanked 607 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Wico OC Mag Question

Thanks for all the great responses !! Does there have to be a spark plug to test the spark strength, of can you just short it to a common ground? I was told it's not good for any magneto to not have a path for the current to flow to when testing it.

---------- Post added at 08:43:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39:41 AM ----------

Thanks for the link to the OC manual Kirk !! I have one, but the one you posted is better. Much more legible.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-27-2019, 10:29:34 AM
Kirk Taylor Kirk Taylor is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bedford, PA
Posts: 938
Thanks: 0
Thanked 597 Times in 348 Posts
Default Re: Wico OC Mag Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Holmander View Post
Thanks for all the great responses !! Does there have to be a spark plug to test the spark strength, of can you just short it to a common ground? I was told it's not good for any magneto to not have a path for the current to flow to when testing it.

---------- Post added at 08:43:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39:41 AM ----------

Thanks for the link to the OC manual Kirk !! I have one, but the one you posted is better. Much more legible.
A spark gap is a spacing between the "hot" and the "ground". A spark plug is just a fixed gap. To check the spark length, space the end of the spark plug wire a certain distance from the magneto case and snap the mag. If the mag has to jump a ½" gap, then space the plug wire ½" away from the case. (Yes, electrode shape has some bearing on attainable spark length, but that isn't overly relevant, here.)
You are correct in that a magneto needs a path to ground. You will be providing that path by setting a gap. If you merely let the plug wire hang out in the middle of nowhere, you create a spark gap that is grossly beyond the limits of the magneto. High voltage tends to find the easiest path. If that path is through the insulation, then that's the way it will go. Unfortunately, the insulation in our old mags is not self-healing and is not robust enough to withstand the voltage capability of the mag and is quickly destroyed.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Taylor For This Post:
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

F o r u m Jump

Similar Threads Chosen at Random
Thread Thread Starter F o r u m Replies Last Post
Wico EK mag question Mutt Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs 7 09-05-2014 03:28:26 PM
Wico EK mag question GlenK Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs 1 02-03-2014 03:13:13 PM
Wico EK question SteveK Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs 6 08-17-2013 08:25:33 PM
Wico question on IHC L David Gregg Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion 2 06-03-2008 06:12:54 PM
WICO question Tom Winland Antique Engine Archives 7 07-15-2003 02:02:19 PM


Use "Ctrl" mouse wheel to change screen size.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32:23 AM.

Smokstak and Enginads site search!


All use is subject to our TERMS OF SERVICE
SMOKSTAK® is a Registered Trade Mark - A Community of Antique Engine Enthusiasts
Copyright © 2000 - 2019 by Harry Matthews P.O. Box 5612 - Sarasota, FL 34277