Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Flywheel removal

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 4084 times

Old 05-28-2005, 07:29:05 PM
Registered-III

Default Flywheel removal

I got an Ajax oilfield engine home last night, it is the closed crankcase type with a 8.5" bore and a 10" stroke. All there but stuck, it has a 4' diameter flywheel that is about 8" thick. I am considering taking the flywheel off to work on the engine to make it lighter. Any comments on this or ideas for removal of such a flywheel?
thanks. and thank you Harry.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2005, 08:22:09 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,078 Times in 495 Posts
Default Re: Flywheel removal

would it be easier to remove the flywheel and crank together? that seems to be std practice, does the engine design allow this.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:45:39 PM
Registered-III

agreed, I have always left the crank and flywheel(s) together myself, this design however, the crank comes out the flywheel side through a plate and just not sure what is in there as I have not been inside an Ajax before. would rather get the flywheel out of the way and make it all a bit more managable so I do not screw up case bearings or something.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:36:30 PM
Registered-III

You should never remove a flywheel unless it is already broken. It was put on to stay. Even if you don't break it during the removal process, it is highly unlikely to run true or stay tight after re-installation. As someone else has suggested, remove the crank and flywheel as an assembly if you absolutely have to. Al Wait
Old 05-30-2005, 11:08:08 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Flywheel removal

Greg. The way I've ALWAYS removed flywheels is with a bottle jack on the end of the crankshaft and a chain. Some bottle jacks wont work on there side. Just put the chain around the spoke close as you can to the hub. Then proceed to pull it off. IF YOU HAVE A TAPERED GIB KEY THIS WILL NOT WORK! I've done this several times and it works like a champ. Not to say you cant bust a flywheel like this because anything is possiable. But, its how they take them off in the factory and in the field. If you drill out the key as best as you can this will weaken the hold and make it that much easier to remove . BUT BE SURE NOT TO DRILL INTO YOUR CRANK OR FLYWHEEL . And that flywheel is made to be removed, how else can you relpace that oil seal if it goes bad!? Ajax are an awsome engine! they were the LAST of the sideshaft engines and they have a cross head! And when you need part for that engine you know who to call!