Old Engine Memorials

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Old Engine Memorials
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old Engine Memorials We each know a collector who has passed that meant something to us and this is a place for our final salute, a place of memories for all to share.

Old Engine Memorials

Perry 'Pip' Stairs

this thread has 0 replies and has been viewed 143 times

Old 08-20-2013, 01:21:22 PM
Registered-II

Default Perry 'Pip' Stairs

Not sure how many here, if any, had the pleasure of meeting Perry, but for those who may have, I'm sorry to say that I have just learned that Perry passed away a few days ago from an unknown ailment.

Perry was one of the last of the old-school boiler makers and has worked on almost every locomotive in Western Canada, as well as some in the north-western US and many traction engines, power plants and other equipment.

Three weeks ago, he was in Victoria helping me install five new tubes in our Sawyer-Massey traction engine. Perry's knowlege of steam power, boilers and related equipment was vast; he could set up a locomotive's driving gear as easily as he could roll in a new flue, and if he told the inspector that 'That's the right way to do it', it was a wise inspector who listened and learned!

Perry's passing means a huge loss to the historic steam community in western Canada, and his talent will be sorely missed by many organizations. Rest in peace my friend!