Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Buzzacot Farm Pumper Rebuild

this thread has 141 replies and has been viewed 14130 times

Old 01-24-2016, 06:04:14 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Buzzacot farm pumper rebuild

Well I was very impressed with the electrolysis bath! I made mine from a pvc tub from the rural store, and some bird mesh. My power supply is an old 12v transformer out of a caravan. I'm not sure what output, but its a fair bit bigger than your little battery charger. I read as many web pages as I could to see if the galvanizing on the wire was dangerous, as there is so much to show the dangers of putting stainless steel in the bath. I found no danger reported other than some transfer of zinc onto your work piece, which I figure is no drama. It came out after approximately 24 hours, clean as a whistle, apart from the black residue, easily washed / scrubbed off.
If you look at the handle and its recess though, you can see where it was hidden in a shadow from the electricity flow, and the handle itself didn't become part of the live piece. it was probably insulated by the crud. in retrospect i should have clipped a wire onto the handle as well. I will just sandblast that little area. I looked at removing the handle, but the pin is in there tight, and i don't want to make extra work, drilling out and having another pin fabricated..
I received new valve springs in the mail, and also a governor spring and valve retainer nut, from Toowoomba. This week I will aim to find a gibb key to buy, and have it machined to size. and ... refit the flywheel! this will be a pretty big step I reckon!
I am job hunting as well, so a bit busy with that at the moment.. I need coin for a maggy!
As far as the risks go, you just have to manage risk.. (I did a stint as risk management guy aka safety guy in the gas fields in chinchilla recently)
adress the risks and dont blow yourself up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4406.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	244577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4418.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	244578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4419.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	244579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4420.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	244580  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to muzzery For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2016, 08:15:34 PM
Registered-II

I'm pleased to see that there is so much interest in farm pumpers be they F&J ,Buzzacot or Southern Cross ,wonderfull ,simple ,reliable engines and always a crowd puller!
Old 01-25-2016, 01:08:19 AM
Registered-III

Once you find your new Gibb key and go to install it you will need to get it to fit exactly right using percussion blue to ensure that it sits flat on the crankshaft and fits the taper in the flywheel perfectly. Try Don Reid for your new Gibb key.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 01-26-2016, 08:12:07 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbadog View Post
Once you find your new Gibb key and go to install it you will need to get it to fit exactly right using percussion blue to ensure that it sits flat on the crankshaft and fits the taper in the flywheel perfectly. Try Don Reid for your new Gibb key.
I measured the key way in the flywheel today. It's parallel within .4 mm. No taper. So I am a bit confused about this...
Old 01-26-2016, 07:57:09 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,173 Times in 1,156 Posts

Hello Muzz
Is it parallel both ways?
There should be a taper from the bit that hits the bottom of the slot on the crank and the top of the slot on the flywheel
A Gib key is 1 in 10 taper if I remember but my memory is probably wrong.

Cheers Scott
Old 01-26-2016, 11:17:17 PM
Registered-I

Hi Scott,
Yes its parallel both ways as I see. The gibb keys I am looking at on eBay are all parallel, but I figure you have to mill them to size anyway.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:01:03 AM
Registered-II

Just got to file/mill the taper on the top. Wax on - wax off, and repeat. The trick is not to let the key ride up the milling ramp in the keyway when driving the key home. You will bust the flywheel boss
Old 01-28-2016, 01:55:23 AM
Registered-III

I was lead to believe that Gibb Keys are tapered and yes Scott 1:10. This is what locks it in place as if it was a parallel key it would be just that a keyway and would not hold anything in place. If you think about a harmonic balancer on engines they are located by a parallel key but held in place by a bolt. So you will need to measure the keyway in the flywheel to see if it is tapered or parallel by measuring it on both sides, inside n outside. Then start the 1:10 taper to suit. It is important that it is a tight even fit otherwise it will be walking off the crankshaft.
I tend to think that Gibb Keys also have a head on the outside end. This is so you have something to connect a puller onto to remove it.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:28:37 AM
Registered-I

Yes I have measured inside and out and there's .4 mm difference
Old 01-28-2016, 03:49:41 AM
Registered-III

Hello Muzz
Pretend the flywheel is on the crank and the keyway is at 12 o'clock.
Measure the height of the keyway at the front of the flywheel and at the rear of the flywheel. There should be a noticeable difference in the two measurements.
With the flywheel keyway at 12 o'clock, the width of the keyway should be pretty much the same all the way through the flywheel.

Cheers Scott
Old 01-28-2016, 04:55:39 AM
Registered-I

Scott, in the way you describe it, that is where the .4 mm difference is, from front of flywheel to back. With of keyway is parallel.
I remember reading that the "nose" cover, which I believe this engine would have had fitted, was to stop the flywheel slipping off.. Which in the case of a parallel gibb key, this could happen?
Old 01-28-2016, 04:55:44 AM
Registered-II

Most gib key tapers are 1/8" per foot - which is the same is 1:96 pretty damn close to 1:100. I said "most" tapers - as there are others slightly different but I don't think you will go wrong with 1:100

cheers

Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michaely For This Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 06:40:59 AM
Registered-I

Thanks Mike this sounds in the ball park, as 1:96 over a 65mm thick flywheel makes .656mm. i can roughly measure .4 ... so ill try with blue and a file.
Cheers for the advice everyone
Old 01-28-2016, 06:24:48 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaely View Post
Most gib key tapers are 1/8" per foot - which is the same is 1:96 pretty damn close to 1:100. I said "most" tapers - as there are others slightly different but I don't think you will go wrong with 1:100

cheers

Mike
Hello Mike
Thank you so much for that. I missed one zero. A zero isn't much until it's needed at the end of a number.

Cheers and ta
Scott
Old 01-29-2016, 06:34:34 AM
Registered-I

Today I rang Don Ried and had a chat. It seems the buzzacot has a parallel gibb key.
Then I remembered that I have a southern cross spare flywheel. I dragged that out, and there it is, a very noticeable taper.
I have requested a new gibb key from Don, but I'm not filled with confidence there, he said he would call me back. That's what he told me a couple of years ago, and I thought it poor form to keep hounding him. The next option, as those locals don't have anything, is eBay uk, for around 40 dollars plus freight.
As it happens, I'm off to central S.A on Tuesday for a fortnight work stint, so it will be quiet on this front. Maybe I will find a nice souvenir on the farm.. Rusty something maybe?
Old 05-23-2016, 04:40:52 AM
Registered-I

Hi everybody, I've been refitting the flywheel this week. I used a long bolt from the hardware, 10mm, and tapped a
Whitworth thread on the end- after cutting off the head. The white oryx end fits into the thread in the end of the crank shaft. This allowed me to use the new thread and nut on the long bolt to ease the flywheel back on gently. I did it over a few days, as I was concerned about cracking the flywheel.
I have sent off for the "new" wico ek, which should arrive sometime this week hopefully. Next thing to hunt for is a head gasket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	254560  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to muzzery For This Post:
Old 05-23-2016, 06:00:50 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzery View Post
Thanks Mike this sounds in the ball park, as 1:96 over a 65mm thick flywheel makes .656mm. i can roughly measure .4 ... so ill try with blue and a file.
Cheers for the advice everyone
I personally work in thou' as it is much more accurate . .016" (.4mm) of taper over a distance of 2.559"(65mm) is close enough to 160:1 . Not that it matters because you just "blue" it anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darryl For This Post:
Old 05-23-2016, 07:57:00 PM
Registered-III

Hello all
On our pumpers the flywheels all slide on freely and the gibb key is fitted from the outside after the flywheel is sitting on the crank. Is your flywheel tight to slide on without the key Muzzery?
How did the tank turn out?

Cheers Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 05-24-2016, 03:21:41 AM
Registered-III

The little nose cone as described earlier does nothing to hold the flywheel in place. It is to stop anything getting caught up in the key as it rotates. I have one on our Pumper and think it finishes the look. Hope you are progressing with the restoration. someone else out here must have Gibb Keys for sale and at a better price than that.
I had the same problem with Don Reid when sourcing parts for our Pumper years ago. He is such a wonder in what he knows about the range but unfortunately can be unreliable. Not sure if his Family are taking over some of Dons rolls, I hope so.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:38:19 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbadog View Post
The little nose cone as described earlier does nothing to hold the flywheel in place.
Hello all
Rumour is that particular bit is a magic eye. It can see when your out of eyesight so the engine can stop working. I have been told it works quite well.

Cheers Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post: