Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Reid pre-show testing

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1636 times

Old 07-04-2017, 10:14:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,706 Times in 496 Posts
Default Reid pre-show testing

Hey everyone, made a few changes to the Reid and was running it this weekend.
Better cooling system and a few other things.
Still have crossfire issues but we're trying to figure it out.
Thought you would like a video.
PS this video sorta makes it seem like it runs better than it does, I guess it's just temperamental like all old things.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dustin D Ehli For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2017, 07:00:18 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Reid pre show testing

Dustin, the JEGS sticker gives it a nice touch. Seems to be running pretty good to me.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:59:45 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,732 Times in 4,277 Posts
Exclamation Re: Reid pre-show testing

Hard to tell from the video, but you might be running the hot tube a bit too cool. Should be a bright red, dull orange at point of flame contact. Is the hot tube itself new? if not, it may be coked up internally. This will retard heat transfer to the fuel/air mixture, and will make ignition unreliable as flame can get held within the tube. This, in turn, can cause the intake charge to ignite prematurely. The tube can be cleaned out with a dull drill or a stiff Oak rod and a 1/4" plumbers pipe cleaning brush. not sure of the history of the engine, but you might have a look at the transfer valve, to make sure the seat and face surfaces are not worn.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:44:54 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Reid pre-show testing

Tube is almost new, doubt of much build up inside.
Hotter seemed better, running it orange down at the base, it's a 6 inch tube.
Never had the transfer valve out but it seems tight and nice movement.
Engine came from Doug Waggoner in catoosa OK, maybe he can chime in, I know he did work to the valve at one time.
Probably doesn't help the the bore is so gouged from wrist pin that there is almost no compression at all
Old 07-10-2017, 12:53:17 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin D Ehli View Post
Hey everyone, made a few changes to the Reid and was running it this weekend.
Better cooling system and a few other things.
Still have crossfire issues but we're trying to figure it out.
Thought you would like a video.
PS this video sorta makes it seem like it runs better than it does, I guess it's just temperamental like all old things.

Your backfire problems are either you upper seal in your main valve assembly or the valve is not seating correctly or both it has nothing to do with your hot tube.

---------- Post added at 11:53:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Carnahan View Post
Your backfire problems are either you upper seal in your main valve assembly or the valve is not seating correctly or both it has nothing to do with your hot tube.
also if you richen the fuel a little it may help. To layers of fiberfrax in the chimney will let you run a lot smaller flame and save a lot of fuel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dale Carnahan For This Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 08:30:12 AM
Registered-II

Dustin,

Have you done the leak test for the main valve yet? (Disconnect the charging crank and make compression in the main cylinder; if the charging piston moves, the valve's leaking; if it stays put, it's probably okay, so you can search somewhere else for the problem.)

I don't see how a body can expect these to run right at such a low speed. 165 rpm is the minimum listed speed for this engine--with 225 rpm shown for running on gasoline--and anything less is asking it to run wrong. So to get it to run right when you're asking it to run wrong is a paradox, seems to me, but folks do it somehow. At that slow speed, it seems to me any flame left in the cylinder should be long spent, so I don't see how that could account for a backfire. But like I said, I wouldn't know.

For what it's worth, my Reid will miss and backfire if the fuel is too rich. If it ever misses, there's something wrong, and if I don't adjust the carburetor it'll get worse (possibly die altogether). This might mean nothing at all to your situation, but the amount of fuel my engine needs varies with the temperature--the hotter the day, the less fuel it requires. Yesterday I ran the idle 30% less than it takes in the winter. The fuel mix requirement is less obvious running on propane, but it still holds true. (This is under load at 185 RPM.) Maybe taking note of the temperature could help you narrow your search. Just a thought.

Shucks--one other thing: my Reid doesn't smooth out until it's up to about 120º to 140º, with working temperature about 165º. Do you have a thermometer anywhere to keep track of that? With a water pump you can use a thermostat, which will help it get up to temperature faster and be more consistent.

Sorry to be so windy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 08:03:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,146 Times in 331 Posts

It's running to slow and smooth now and It fires ever stroke on a hot tube ? Most Reids I have when turned down will fire then turn 8 to 10 revolutions before firing again. On a mag they fire ever time. Give her some fuel get the water hot and turn some RPMs
Old 07-16-2017, 10:01:33 PM
Subscriber

Yeah we always run it slow.
The backfiring gets much worse when it get really hot, last year with just thermosyphon we had the water to a rapid boil out the top pipe and then it was running really crappy.
Most the time on the tube it will 4 cycle, hits every time on the mag.
I thought 165 was top rpm, guess I'm wrong, never have tried the valve leaking test, probably wouldn't work anyways cause there isn't even enough compression on this to even bounce it back against
Old 07-18-2017, 01:05:24 AM
Registered-II

You might try a shorter tube then, if a hotter jacket makes it backfire more. It'll make it harder to start though, of course. Four stroking can be a sign of a tube too long too, or a mixture too rich.

Have you experimented with different oils? Maybe a heavier oil would help. With the tests I ran, some oils blew by terribly. One was so bad I shut down, because the piston was going dry. Maybe you could run straight 50w and improve your compression a bit? I don't know. Just an idea.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:53:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,146 Times in 331 Posts

Make yourself a restrictor on the air intake, a flapper or use pipe bushings. You will need less fuel when the air is pinched down. It puts a load on the engine. and cool the hot tube down, orange only halfway up.