Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Lucas? BTH K1-D Magneto Re-assy Help

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 375 times

Old 05-31-2019, 09:56:12 PM
Registered-I

Default Lucas? BTH K1-D Magneto Re-assy Help

I picked up one of these, second hand, seized, and well bubba'd on the sprocket end.
I cleaned up the taper, cut off the crap welded on, threaded the end for a 5/16NC stud and retaining nut. It occurs to me that this should have been a LH thread, too little, too late!
I blued the rotor and hand filed down the high spots, re-greased the bearings and she's spinning sweet.

BUT I stupidly pulled it down without making adequate marks.
My questions are two, and both to do with alignment.
1) The horseshoe on top is marked "N" on one side, presumably the North Pole? Which direction should this be fitted?

2) The points cam/end cover. There are 4 screw holes, 3 with casting/file marks beside them. 3 Screws and one spring-retainer post for the cap.

There is also a set screw? and hole in the face of the cover. If the Screws are North-West, NE, SE, SW, this hole would be at North.

I assume this is a vent/drain, if it's a drain and placed at South, that would have the timing 90° contrary to if the casting marks were used for screws, with the spring post in the unmarked hole at NW.

I realise this is a pain without pictures. I did take some and will upload later. (unfortunately I didn't take them BEFORE it was in pieces )

It is one of these: (Sorry about the huge pic, this forum wont take HTML to scale it! )

---------- Post added at 01:56:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53:54 PM ----------

The pic of the end in question#2 is at:
https://picclick.co.uk/Bth-Vintage-P...498208934.html

Picture #5. Though the magneto when I got it had the spring post at NW and it is at SW in that image...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2019, 11:40:22 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Lucas? BTH K1-D Magneto Re-assy Help

Pictures attached.
"N" mark is visible above screw

Casting/file marks visible on NE, SE, SW screw holes. Cam inside (rotates CCW) has points open from NE through 270° to SE.

And the thing that had been welded on the sprocket end. Sorry that one's a bit out of focus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	points cover_1200.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	336038   Click image for larger version

Name:	bubb_taper_1200.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	336039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnet_N_1200.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	336040  
Old 06-01-2019, 02:23:57 AM
Registered-III

For my 2 cents worth I don't see any issue in the positioning of the spring clip that holds your points cap in place, unless, it interferes with the engine or linkages.
As for alignment of the magnet I am unable to answer that one so hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge than I have on this will give you an answer soon.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing providing you can see into the future. I learnt my lesson years ago and take a heap of pics on my phone when stripping and reassembling.
Have you been able to charge the magnet or is it strong?
Old 06-01-2019, 03:43:59 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbadog View Post
Hindsight is a wonderful thing providing you can see into the future. I learnt my lesson years ago and take a heap of pics on my phone when stripping and reassembling.
Have you been able to charge the magnet or is it strong?
This I already knew! I normally punch in witness marks on anything I dismantle, obviously yesterday morning's coffee wasn't strong enough!

The magnet will attract and hold screws but for the size of it I wouldn't call it "strong". I know that you can recharge bar magnets by pointing them north and rapping them with a hammer, I guess I'll have to read up on recharging this. Wrap it in wire and plug it into the wall I guess?
Old 06-02-2019, 12:49:35 AM
Registered-III

Be careful doing it that way you might reverse the polarity when you switch it on.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:01:07 AM
Registered

Hi .
Going back to post 2 .The 3 casting marks you refer to are punch marks put in at factory after it is assembled at factory ,same marks are found on the screws on the bobbin end of armature .
The welded end is the result of the thread being broken of due to over doing the nut and breaking it of .Welding is the only way to fix it and recutting the thread . The hole you refer to is the safety gap screw belongs . There is a little locking tab that sit under the screw .There is only one way to remagnetise your magnets thats to use the proper machine .
Hope that helps.
Regards Wal
Old 06-05-2019, 02:00:08 AM
Registered-I

Well we have some success. Big thanks to WAL who I spoke with on the phone.

As regards the horseshoe, The sprocket end is marked with an arrow indicating clockwise rotation, with the unit on the bench, and the sprocket end to the right, the N of the magnet faces toward me.

Contrariwise, if the magneto was CCW, with the sprocket end to the left the N would face toward me.

Other good advice from WAL, Don't remove the magnet.
And if removing the rotor, place an iron or mild steel "keeper" across the horseshoe to preserve the magnetism.

I have found this http://www.oldengine.org/members/rotigel/magnet/ and if it comes to it I will build one, but I will first try the engine clubs in town as I don't see it getting a lot of use.