Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

In the Market for a Portable Generator

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 1182 times

Old 06-14-2019, 05:45:05 AM
Registered-I

Default In the Market for a Portable Generator

I know next to nothing about generator so bear with me.

I'm gonna need one soon, I'm tired of trying to move what I currently have.

I'm not up on technology.

Does someone make a portable generator that I can fairly easily pick up and move around. Maybe something with a carrying handle.

The most load it's gonna have is the a/c unit in my old camper.

I'd like to know also if this is something that I can or should be looking for on e bay or Craigslist used.

I want to do what makes the most sense.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2019, 05:56:46 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: In the market

Two words: Honda. Inverter.
The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 10:07:00 AM
Registered-I

As far as Craig's list goes people seem to have an unrealistic view of what they have but there are some reasonable prices. But being mechanically inclined is pretty necessary. Once I got a non running electric start Boliy in need of lots of TLC on CL for $75 but that is the exception.
https://www.bottomlinetrading.com/BOLIY.html

As far as Honda and Inverter goes you should separate the two. A Honda Eu2200i will cost over one thousand dollars and gas left in the carburator will spoil causing hard starting just like it will in a Harbor Freight one that is less then half the price. There are many inverter units on the market, Ryobi is one of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-Inverte.../dp/B075PNLC7Z
Old 06-14-2019, 06:22:22 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
As far as Honda and Inverter goes you should separate the two. A Honda Eu2200i will cost over one thousand dollars and gas left in the carburator will spoil causing hard starting just like it will in a Harbor Freight one that is less then half the price. There are many inverter units on the market, Ryobi is one of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-Inverte.../dp/B075PNLC7Z
I would politely suggest that leaving gas in the carb is operator error and that a honda motor will be going long after others quit, not to mention the parts availability. (Try finding a replacement piston for your ryobi in 10 years)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mihit For This Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 07:22:12 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: In the Market for a Portable Generator

I work in this industry and I would say that Honda is the only one that seems to have a clue how to make something long lasting. Honda inverter it is, likely a 2000 which can be moved by hand. 3000 is a bit heavy but maybe your AC needs it, check before you buy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 07:24:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,061 Posts

Inverter gen is definately the way to go for light and portable. That said AVOID CHINESE MADE INVERTER GENS LIKE THE PLAGUE. Parts are simply NOT AVAILABLE, I own a Chinese made 1kw "Sportsman" branded inverter gen. Lasted one month! Ignition module died. Even though versions of this exact gen are sold all over the world, module not available! Stick to Honda for inverter gens.
Doc
Old 06-14-2019, 08:29:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,908 Posts

Could put a start cap on your A/C unit to make it so that a smaller set can start it, and also so it can start it while running in the "Eco Mode" or whatever they call it (slower with lower load).

Alternatively, I have read on here of people having good results with "soft starters" on the A/C units, but they're $$.

Keith
Old 06-15-2019, 08:05:30 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
Alternatively, I have read on here of people having good results with "soft starters" on the A/C units, but they're $$.

Keith
That would be Micro Air's Easy Start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soP0uZFd0nQ
I have one on my camper's 7,125 BTU AC and they are fantastic. Worked so well I put one on my home's 3 ton AC and now the lights don't dim when it comes on.
Among my generator stable is a 900 watt Sportsman mentioned above and one day I was bored and experimenting. I had been running the AC using my Eu2000i and for giggles I tried the Sportsman 900 watt unit and turned on the AC. To my surprise it actually started and ran the AC for a couple of minutes before going into overload
Soft starts come in two styles, in an enclosure ready to wire up and a circuit board only that requires you to wire it up for less$$'s.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Romas For This Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 03:32:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,253 Times in 653 Posts

Honda or Yamaha generators are your best bet and worth the money.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:52:00 PM
Email NOT Working

Not a fan of Yamaha either, they look like a Japanese version of the Chinese ones inside the electrical.

Honda seems to be the only one who can make something without cutting corners.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:20:04 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt View Post
Not a fan of Yamaha either, they look like a Japanese version of the Chinese ones inside the electrical.

Honda seems to be the only one who can make something without cutting corners.
I have friends that have Yamaha generators 20+ years old with loads of hours on them and no issues. All the ones I've seen and worked on seem to be built pretty well.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:27:16 PM
Email NOT Working

I have never seen an old Yamaha, did not even know they were in the business all that long. I have only seen a very few newer ones and they were nothing like a Honda internally, not nearly so well constructed. Support was rather lame and they are just not popular around here.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:47:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,061 Posts

First radio station I worked for back in late 70s had a Yamaha generator used for remote broadcasts. Don't remember much about it except it was quiet enough to run beneath table holding microphone used for remote broadcast. That rsther impressed me.
Doc
Old 06-15-2019, 11:02:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,893 Times in 3,199 Posts

Quote:
I have never seen an old Yamaha, did not even know they were in the business all that long...
IF you have seen an 80's vintage Homelite HG600, you have seen a Yamaha EF600 painted red. I have one that was taken apart for a carb repair, then some pieces got lost - I would like to find another one, even with serious engine trouble or burned out generator. They are IMHO easily as good as the Honda of the day, but are far too small for an air conditioner.

Last edited by Wayne 440; 06-18-2019 at 10:05:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:31:32 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 View Post
I know next to nothing about generator so bear with me.

I'm gonna need one soon, I'm tired of trying to move what I currently have.

I'm not up on technology.

Does someone make a portable generator that I can fairly easily pick up and move around. Maybe something with a carrying handle.

The most load it's gonna have is the a/c unit in my old camper.

I'd like to know also if this is something that I can or should be looking for on e bay or Craigslist used.

I want to do what makes the most sense.

Thanks
You best bet is to check your starting loads first that way you know which Honda Generator is right for you. The Honda inverter generators are so quiet and very fuel efficient. The also hold their value if you ever need to trade up in the future.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:59:51 PM
Registered-III

In my experience with Honda vs Yamaha, they seem to have different methods of rating their sound levels. The little Yamaha Inverter is rated to have a lower sound level than the little Honda. But the Honda is quieter.

Otherwise you can't go wrong with either.

Fred
Old 06-16-2019, 01:17:21 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV View Post
You best bet is to check your starting loads first that way you know which Honda Generator is right for you. The Honda inverter generators are so quiet and very fuel efficient. The also hold their value if you ever need to trade up in the future.
If he's looking at running an A/C unit then a suitcase generator is out for sure. Hes gonna need something 5000 watts at least to run the A/C and other things I think. But he wants something easy to move around so that poses a problem.

---------- Post added at 01:17:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14:02 PM ----------

Quote:
I have never seen an old Yamaha, did not even know they were in the business all that long. I have only seen a very few newer ones and they were nothing like a Honda internally, not nearly so well constructed. Support was rather lame and they are just not popular around here.
Yamaha hasnt really pushed their generators so they arent popular most places compared to Honda at the top end and Predator at the top of all the lower end ones. Its like Kawasaki hand held stuff. Their string trimmers and hedge trimmers made all else look like cheap junk but they never pushed the stuff and lost the market compared to great stuff from Shindaiwa, Redmax, Echo etc. I wont include Stihl because unless you buy a commercial grade chain saw most of their other stuff is over priced and over rated.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:09:25 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormowers View Post
I wont include Stihl because unless you buy a commercial grade chain saw most of their other stuff is over priced and over rated.
I use all my gear to about 160%. I have small stihl saws from back when they even made their chains in germany, that have cut more meters (For you imperial folk: that's like a yard, but more) of wood than a chinese saw ever will. I've used everything from their one-hand pruning saws to 1.6m bar (err, like 7 feet?) magnums. Never missed a beat.
In a similar period of time I have seen people burn through up to three "box store" chainsaws, to achieve half as much.
The cost-per-mile of a stihl, to my mind, is unquestionable. The balance is spot-f*n-on.
Even an husky, makita, jonesred, spend a day on the end of one of them and you'll know about it. Pick up a stihl by the wraparound bar and it will hang perfectly level.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:09:26 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormowers View Post
If he's looking at running an A/C unit then a suitcase generator is out for sure. Hes gonna need something 5000 watts at least to run the A/C and other things
Just not so. Your beloved Honda Eu2000i powers many roof top camper AC's including my 7,125 BTU Dometic and with Micro Air's Easy Start it even does it with the ECHO switch ON.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:29:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,855 Times in 817 Posts

If looking at a hard start kit, Only the units with potential relays are worth considering. An example would be the popular 5-2-1 compressor savor https://www.cpsproducts.com/hvacr/5-...pressor-saver/ The other style like the SPP6 is worthless.

Robert
The Following User Says Thank You to Railroads For This Post: