Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

S. M. Jones Pump Jack

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 4636 times

Old 01-25-2010, 03:29:05 PM
Registered-I

Default S. M. Jones Pump Jack

I just acquired an S.M. Jones pump jack and would like to know more about it. I'm preparing to restore it but know nothing of the color or history. It was located in south east Kansas, just north of Caney. I have no idea how old it is as the well is not even located on any maps and the state had no record of it. It appears to be in good order considering. Does anybody have any info that might help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0013-lores.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	72295   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0004-lores.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	72296  
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Donathan For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2010, 04:38:16 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: S.M. Jones pump jack

I have one just like it, but i think mine is marked N.S.CO "national supply" Not sure of the exact age. Mine came off the lease my 15hp Reid, built in 1909, was on in Bartlesville, Ok. Just south of Caney, Ks.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21:49 PM
Registered-I

Thanks Doug. Do you have pics? Have you restored it?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:19:00 PM
Registered-II

The S.M. Jones Company was in Toledo, Ohio and was originally the Acme Sucker Rod Company until purchased by S.M. Jones.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:13:00 AM
Subscriber

On the internet, search "Toledo's Attic". S. M. Jones. Acme Sucker Rod Co. There are some pictures there of the company and Mayor "Golden Rule" Jones. He was a very remarkable man. I've pumped a lot of oil up here in NW Ohio using "Jones & Hammond Straight Line Pumpjacks" exactly as the one you have. In all my years around and using Jones equipment, I've never seen a bad casting nor anything other than excellent workmanship involving their equipment, castings, powers, and engines. Those jacks were black, forest green, or red. Ive seen all three original colors on their jacks and engines out on the leases. Recently, I've had reprinted the S. M. Jones engines catalog. Although it does not cover pumpjacks, it is a very good reprint depicting the company's engines. If your interested just check out the article of that title on this Oilfield page.Best to you,--John
Old 01-27-2010, 10:24:36 AM
Registered-III

Every one I ever saw was all covered in rust & crude . Never thought about the JACK being painted
Old 01-27-2010, 02:42:05 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Donathan View Post
Thanks Doug. Do you have pics? Have you restored it?
I'll try to get a picture of it this weekend. I have'nt touched it since I brought it home, mounted it to a timber and leaned it aginst the fence by the shop. Have you found what was pulling this pump jack when it was operating?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:53:40 PM
Registered-I

I wish I knew. It was oriented in the direction of a railroad bed which makes me wonder if it could have been put in before the railroad?? I think the railroad was put in in the late 1800s. That would make this well one of the first in the field. Like I said, the oil field maps don't even show it. Wish I could find more info!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:51:23 PM
Registered-I

Scott;
The Acme/Jones jack you have is what is known as an underpull jack, which is the most common. They also made an overpull jack. If you scrape off enough BS, ours is a dull red color, not a whole lot different than Reid red. We have several that pump every day. I will try to answer any questions you might have.

Wes
Old 03-10-2010, 07:50:19 PM
Registered-I

That's very helpful. Do you have any pictures? You say they were basically Reid red. Is that the entire pump jack? Any idea how I might find out when this unit was made?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:55:39 PM
Subscriber

4 parts of rust oleum regal red to 1 part black will get you a darn close match. The other color that Jones used was gunmetal blue.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:46:09 PM
Registered

Hi,

I am new to the forum and don't know how to start a new thread or post. I have an S. M. Jones rod line pump jack that I have restored and am going to put in my office front yard. I have 1/2 of the casing head mounting bracket (the part that connects to the legs) and need the other half that goes on the other side of the casing head (without the leg mounting ears). Does anyone have any idea where I could get one? Thanks, Rian

---------- Post added at 09:46:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44:11 PM ----------

Hi,

I am new to the forum and don't know how to start a new thread or post. I have an S. M. Jones rod line pump jack that I have restored and am going to put in my office front yard. I have 1/2 of the casing head mounting bracket (the part that connects to the legs) and need the other half that goes on the other side of the casing head (without the leg mounting ears). Does anyone have any idea where I could get one?

Thanks, Rian