Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 12.5JC-18R/30634AB. All the info you got!

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 1514 times

Old 10-21-2017, 10:30:09 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,289 Times in 837 Posts
Default Re: Onan 12.5JC-18R/30634AB. All the info you got!

Len, he is not running gasoline.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2017, 10:31:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESS View Post

--- snip ---
Any ideas on the oil leak? Seems to be coming from the blower area to the right of the actual block. I don't want to go to deep into a tear down (ie I don't want to touch it) as it is my only source of a hot shower, water and lights.

Please txt me with suggestions, as I have limited internet access. Number is in the above post.
Is this the area he is seeing oil ( see picture below)? This is the lower right of the block on a JC. If this is the area, you can clearly see that the leak can be the oil filter, gasket, leakage from the threaded joints of the oil pressure switch, oil pressure gauge, or line nut for the oil line. If this is the case, I would suggest to degrease the entire area (Brakleen spray works well) , start up the JC and closely watch for any abnormal seepage. If he can't see into some of the areas, he may need to use a mirror such as a dental mirror.

JohnnyC
New JerseyAttachment 294137
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	294138  
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 02:26:34 AM
Registered

I want to give a HUGE shout out to Darts, he spent 6 hours on the phone with me tonight trouble shooting electrical issues on my JC. He doesn't know it yet because we still did not have it running but I worked through another couple of hours in the rain and darkness with a headlamp to patch up the distributor housing. My brand new ignition coil was grounding out and causing a huge voltage spike on the negative side of the ignition coil terminal (130's-150's). Long story short I followed all of his instructions and got everything done I had to do, looked good and put it all back together, then said what the hell it's not working anyway lets give it a shoot. Hit the switch and it almost fired up.

Then, I realized that sounded more like a fuel issue not a spark issue, it actually hiccuped a couple of times wasn't doing that prior, readjusted the carburetor a couple more times and BAM we got life, turned on the water pump, hot water heater and stove and readjusted one last time and oh how she purrs...

Took my first shower in 6 days, been rinsing off in the pool. Power company is still saying it is going to be another couple of months before we are back up.

DARTS thanks again for everything and what once life is back to normal down here what I said was not an empty offer, if you ever have the desire to take a vacation to the VI. Free Room and Board and as much as you can drink, that shower was worth it, talk to you tomorrow...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MESS For This Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 03:12:10 AM
Subscriber

Darts gets my vote for Staker of the Month.
Ray
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ray Lynch For This Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 08:55:48 AM
Subscriber

Ray, I sure will second that!!
Old 11-02-2017, 09:41:36 AM
Subscriber

Darts epitomizes what this is all about! Were here to help each other!
Jack Hottel
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Hottel For This Post:
Old 11-04-2017, 06:34:58 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Onan 12.5JC-18R/30634AB. All the info you got!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hottel View Post
Darts epitomizes what this is all about! Were here to help each other!
Jack Hottel
I think, He did a little above the "call of duty". After my initial post after hurricane Maria had past, I stated that the storm had caused severe damage to my carb and intake. He took it upon himself to locate one and ship it express mail, I did not know him before this forum. He saw someone in need and had the ability to help, this should be commended. I won't say that he saved my life with his actions, that would be stupid, but he definitely made my life easier with his kindness and generosity.

I only hope that I am one day in the position to repay someone else in the same type of manner. I am all about paying it forward.

If you guys do have a staker of the month DARTS definitely qualifies, he has been there every time I had a question and answered within minutes, because he know what situation I was in... I can't thank him enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MESS For This Post:
Old 11-04-2017, 09:36:50 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,289 Times in 837 Posts

Hay MESS,

Thank You BUT, I have only been playing with Onan's for 3 years, I knew nothing about them before that. The ONLY reason I was able to help you is because of the kind and very knowledgable people on this sight, to name just a few such as Max, Billy, MBB, BigBlock, Leon, Dmeed, Lenk, Jim McIntyre, DougReed, YellowLister and SO many more here that have helped me get my first Onan running and all the others I have acquired since I got the green disease, without ALL the help here I would not have been able to help you!!!
Let's not forget that YOU were actually the go getter and truly noticed the problem, in the end you fixed it not me, so give yourself a big pat on the back as you are standing in a hot shower only because after more than a month you still do not have electricity, the only way you have a hot shower is because you got your Onan running!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nothingbutdarts For This Post: