Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

2.5hp Sandow 2 Cycle

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 755 times

Old 07-06-2018, 06:36:30 AM
Registered-I

Default 2.5hp Sandow 2 Cycle

Having trouble starting/ keeping running. Completed restoration, new rings etc.
Can get it running if I spin it fast via electric starter and it will run for maybe 3/4 minutes. Choke fully open, spark TDC and fuel valve open about 1 turn.
Much outside of those settings and no start.
Runs around 420/460 rpm. Any attempt to speed it up results in stopping. They are rated at 800 rpm.
Compression chamber pressure was around 48 psi, took plug out and ran it in with plenty of oil in plug hole and now has around 53 psi.
Anyone out there have one and can give me a few tips.
Cheers
Max
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2018, 01:51:09 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,178 Times in 3,995 Posts
Default Re: 2.5hp Sandow 2 cycle

Compression pressure is a bit low. About 75+ more like it. Timing neds to be advanced to about 20 BTC, and you need to load the engine to get the rings to seat. Of course, if you cant keep it running, you can't seat the rings! When you re-ringed the engine, did you de-glaze the bore? If you didn't de-glaze (lightly hone) the bore, it will take longer for the rings to wear in. Check it for out of round? These engines tended to out of round the bore, as the oiler only fed one side of the piston. if the owner skimped on the oil, the off oiler side wore more heavily than the oiled side. A new set of rings is round. They will have a hard time seating in an out of round cylinder.

try advancing the timing first. if the engine picks up speed, that's half your issue. Then you need to load the engine to seat in the rings, if the bore is in good shape.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:02:06 PM
Registered-I

Hi Andrew
I honed the bore but not sure re out of round. It was in good shape though. In my opinion but I'm no expert. Will try 20 Btc and keep trying.
The fuel injector system didn't have the original connection and check ball on the bottom. I made up a new one but it is a bit different. Also the horizontal pipe on the top ( inside) the fuel bowl was broken off and I have fitted a shorter one in but it's not a perfect seal. Got the cork float set so fuel doesn't come up too high but still around 30 mm above the injection hole in bottom of bowl. Hope this makes sense. Not convinced it's working properly. Ie, if it's running along ok for 3/4 minutes ( ie: sparking, fuel, compression ) and then it's got to be one of those 3. stops isn't fuel?
Old 07-07-2018, 08:50:44 AM
Subscriber

Max try this site it has a ton of great info on your engine including starting tips. I have mine running fairly good but it was a pain to get it dialed in.
Mark

http://www.antiquengines.com/Detroit...Works_Menu.htm
Old 07-07-2018, 01:28:56 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,178 Times in 3,995 Posts
Default Re: 2.5hp Sandow 2 Cycle

Sorta lost here but - this is a water cooled engine right? If so, do you have water in it? A dopey question, but I had to ask! Running a water cooled engine without water can be hazardous to the engine. The cylinder can get really hot, and distort. This can lead to the engine overheating internally, causing it to lose compression. I have seen an engine actually bust its water jacket from heat distortion. If there is water in it, is it circulating (either by pump or thermosyphon)? You should have a 5 gallon reservoir at a minimum for cooling.
Andrew
Old 07-07-2018, 06:49:45 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
Sorta lost here but - this is a water cooled engine right? If so, do you have water in it? A dopey question, but I had to ask! Running a water cooled engine without water can be hazardous to the engine. The cylinder can get really hot, and distort. This can lead to the engine overheating internally, causing it to lose compression. I have seen an engine actually bust its water jacket from heat distortion. If there is water in it, is it circulating (either by pump or thermosyphon)? You should have a 5 gallon reservoir at a minimum for cooling.
Andrew
Yes, it's water cooled and was full of water. Hopper above the cylinder. Renowned for not being that efficient though.

---------- Post added at 06:49:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47:59 AM ----------

Thanks for replying, been pouring over this site. Good to be reminded though
Old 07-11-2018, 12:54:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,144 Times in 330 Posts

Hi Max, After 3 or 4 minutes of running and shutting off did you remove the brass top from the fuel injector reservoir to see if the fuel level is still maintained? This will tell you if there is a fuel or air leak problem with in the system. If float is adjusted to the correct height the fuel level should be fairly close the center line of the 1/8" injector nozzle.

Also when the engine shuts off is the engine hard to turn over (Tight) afterwords? ring end gap correct?

Last edited by John Davis; 07-12-2018 at 05:49:44 AM. Reason: Update info
The Following User Says Thank You to John Davis For This Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 09:12:41 AM
Registered-I

Ran today for 35 minutes at around 430rpm. Had timing set around 20 deg Bdc. Any attempt to speed it up caused it to slow down.
When it stopped immediately checked the fuel bowl and it was mt.
Pretty confident is fuel related. Ie: lack off.
Decided to completely strip it down and re check everything.
Crank shaft out as well.
See how it goes. Appreciate everyone's help.
Cheers
Max
Old 07-18-2018, 06:41:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,144 Times in 330 Posts

What does MT mean? Do you mean empty? No fuel? Also how were you trying to speed it up by changing the timing lever or pushing the governor arm down? Either way if it shut off and the fuel reservoir is empty then yes you have fuel problem somewhere in the system. A bit of information that may help you out. If you have good compression and no air leaks and fuel system is working properly you should be able to rock the flywheel back and forth against compression both ways 3 or 4 times remove the fuel reservoir cap and the reservoir should be about half full of fuel or filled up to the set float level. Only do this with the ignition off of coarse. Please let us know how you make out. Good luck.

Last edited by John Davis; 07-18-2018 at 07:03:28 AM.