Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

this thread has 3555 replies and has been viewed 244173 times

Old 05-15-2013, 07:05:32 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,339 Times in 2,903 Posts
Default Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
Moments later, heard "Ready.gov" commercial - ad says something like "an EF-5 tornado cuts power to 30,000 people,
I guess if a large tornado hits my place, the generator will be the least of my worries. I still think about the fact that none of my sets are anchored down to the concrete floor. That is on my list of “round to-it” projects, at least the SK & JC that are permanently hooked up. The ones on the shelves will have to fend for themselves. Then there is the propane tank that is not anchored.

Always something to think (worry) about.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2013, 09:02:42 AM
Subscriber

Talking Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

Had fun playing with that 2.5lk I recently acquired. Used it to power an electric chain saw for approx 1/2 hour last night. Cut a bunch of 3-4 inch logs and the saw cut the same as if it were connected to commercial power. Wasn't surprised because the gen. never ramped up much at all. That thing runs so smooth and slow, too! Didn't think to check the power rating of the saw. But the gen. seemed as if it would handle a few more at the same time with little effort. Would have kept cutting til dark, another two hours, but as usual there was some real work that had to get done. I really enjoyed listening to that thing run, knowing that it was destined for little to no use at all for the previous owner. He pulled it from an RV that used to belong to his grandfather. Said the RV needed a newer generator. I was glad he didn't realize what he had and I was able to take it off his hands for less than he was asking. Now the fun is going to be looking for other oppurtunities to put the lk to work! Duane Jones.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:12:21 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,339 Times in 2,903 Posts

We joke about the Green Disease, but the symptoms & effects are nothing to laugh about.

I spent the last 6 or 7 hrs. moving things around the shop in order to get 4 little green monsters off the floor. I first had to move 4 transfer switches off the pallet rack to a spot under the stairs with the one that was already there. Then move extra rack cross-members to the top. Then lowered the bottom cross-members to accommodate the Onans. Me & Bob (Bobcat with pallet forks) raised the Onans to the rack about 7’ off the floor. Not to mention all the other things that had to be moved & the cleaning that went along with moving things around the shop.

I now have 4 wheeled carts empty & only 2 JBs & 2 JCs left on the floor. It’s a good thing I do not have a bad case of the disease or I would think I had room for another one, (I did send a guy an offer on a 6.5 he has had for sale locally for 2 months).
The Following User Says Thank You to Max Thompson For This Post:
Old 06-15-2013, 09:36:13 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Thompson View Post
...It’s a good thing I do not have a bad case of the disease...
You are clearly in denial about the extent of your condition.

Today, I did nothing check the hourmeter reading on my RDJC and admire it. Noted a wasp flying around the enclosure, he wll get a dose of spray if he keeps that up.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:56:51 PM
Registered-III

Checked coolant level and ran the RDJC for a few minutes, noted that it hasn't run since my last manual start. Didn't see "Mr. Wasp", hope he and his buddies have left.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:03:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,373 Posts

ok this evening I mounted a natural gas carb on the 6.5NH Onan I got back in may getting it ready to be my whole house generator. have not bought any more onans but got a lead on a couple.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:48:21 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,407 Times in 3,929 Posts

Somehow found the time yesterday to run my Onan 7NHM (Emerald like) for 20minutes, W/O regulator.

Brush contact resistance..... Before running I hand rotated fllywheel and measured resistance thru brushes got 30-45 with one 100 ohm spot. After 20 min run it varied 22 to 40 ohms. So runing did clean it a little. Next test will be to clean it and try again in 3 months to see how fast it deteriorates.

Sweating carb.... I was surprised to see it sweating. On other small engines, I've never seen one do that here in NH . I remember some of you have asked about that. But humidity was hi and temp low~70. Carb felt cool/cold and intake manafold just a bit warmer. I thought about it and then I noticed the intake manfoild on these are longer than most other engines. I guess on other engines heat from head conducts thru manafold to warm carb above dew temp of incoming air.

Noise .... interestingly exhaust pipe noise was alot quiter than mechancial noise (valve train like) coming off gen end. Maybe I'll check valve adjustment sometime. Engine ran smooth when hot.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:07:55 PM
Subscriber

It's the cooling effect of vaporizing the gasoline that reduces the temperature in the throttle venturi to that below the ambient temperature cold enough to form ice sometimes! It isn't too much of a concern on a generator but in a small airplane it can get dicey. We have a knob we pull out that puts heated air from around the muffler into the intake to warm it up and melt the ice.. they run rough when that melts but smooth out once it has gone.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:21:06 PM
Registered-III

I know it's like Freon evaporating, but I was just surprised to see it sweat here in NH. Guess all the other engines I've run have short thick manafolds to conduct head heat to carb. Could be just a design feature engineered into most land based engines, so we never seen it happen.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54:39 PM
Kpack

That was my 7 marquis that was sweating Len I thought it got a lot better when I adjusted the valves.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:18:16 PM
Registered-III

I remember it was you , as soon as I saw it sweating. About a year ago when you asked me about it I thought you were pulling my leg, because I had NEVER seen it happen. But up north here it's not high hunidity often and when it is I don't run the lawn mower.

Interesting side note, I've also seen other solvents that are liquid get real cold if you put them in a flask and pull a mild vacuum with pump.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:26:10 PM
Registered-III

A coat of flat black paint for the muffler, after 29 years it has some surface rust, run off from which stains the enclosure. That original paint sure is good stuff.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:44:20 PM
Subscriber

been so hot and humid it has slowed me down got some breathing problems when its so humid. any hoo just kinda took inventory and cleaned up to carbs and one intake manifold spares ya know what I mean. got em all painted up they look nice. ordered two sets of spare points and condensers from my supplier GarysPlace he is good to deal with keeps prices down. well till next time keep your powder dry. God Bless
Old 07-28-2013, 09:46:48 AM
Subscriber

UPDATE yesterday I had help and my neighbor and uncle we got the new Forest Green metal roof on the main garage now I can rest my Green Onan,s will be warm and dry now. the Forest Green roof really looks nice.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:56:18 AM
Kpack

Can you post some pictures.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:34:27 PM
Subscriber

Kelly, I get this computer fiqured out to down load pictures with my camera I will get some for you.Thx
Old 07-28-2013, 06:43:29 PM
Registered

Today we opened up the air cleaner and realized we have an oil cup (still totally new to our generator). Cleaned the oil cup, cleaned the screen, filled to level with fresh oil. We're getting ready for our next startup test with more fuel!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:13:30 PM
Registered-III

Just load tested the 15hq with about 11000 watts for an hour today.
She purred like a kitten.

Found a few little issues, some missing clamps and clip to hold the rod onto the choke.

Also tested the breaker panel by slightly overloading each breaker, made sure they tripped.

other than that I just sat around and listened to it run.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scoops For This Post:
Old 08-04-2013, 10:18:20 AM
Registered-I

Looked at mine, should run it more maybe next weekend when I can run a bunch of power tools to do my pergola. I was hopping to win a 4cck on k-bid but it went above $200. I could not justify it without seeing it run and testing it. My plan is to have one dedicated to the well and furnace and the second for what ever else we may need. I see alot forsale from $200-$500 and they all ran when pulled out of the camper, been down that road. I have been thinking about used Miller gen/welders. WE use them at work good power and 8hr run time. Our welding supplier does rentals and has some pretty good deals on used ones.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allis327 For This Post:
Old 08-04-2013, 07:58:58 PM
Subscriber

well I did go out today and kinda look the Onans over a little just like to set with em I find some peace that way. I had some surgery this past Thursday got stiches in my forehead doc said take it easy. hope they got it?