Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

old aircraft generator followed me home today

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3293 times

Old 11-14-2003, 11:56:18 AM
clifton clowers

Default old aircraft generator followed me home today

guys, This heavy old homemade thing followed me home from a cousins shop.I've heard of these welders made up of generators befor but don't understand them as to know how to operate them. Notice the walbro carb with return line back to the tankand also the brass primeing cup.The air cleaner is a wax tin with a gzillion holes punched in it. The gen is belted with two v belts and is controlled by a big reostat and a aircraft voltage regulator. There is also a control box mounted on the front from a heated suit(military}I think he's useing the switch inside.Big knife switches labeled "R" and "W". Any help is appreciated.can this be a self starter with proper battery? Thanks Clif

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2003, 12:01:23 PM
clifton clowers

Default Re: old aircraft generator followed me home today

another picture

Old 11-14-2003, 12:09:06 PM
clifton clowers

another pic.

Old 11-19-2003, 11:36:55 PM
John McPherson

You could use it to jump start diesel semi tractors, or earth moving equipment if your voltage output is monitored and correct for the implement.

The generator of the type you appear to have was both a starter and generator in service. Supply it with gobs of amps, and it will turn at any voltage, but the lower the volts the higher the amps. Yours appears to be a 24 or 28 volt unit capable of 150 AMP MAXIMUM (but it might be higher than that, there should be a plate on it somewhere to identify the type, such as "R8".)

What you have is a high quality DC welder. The generator puts out a high enough current under load to be useful for welding, not to mention that in service it saw loads higher than most of the usual welding projects you are likely to encounter- which means longer duty cycle than most welders on the market as there is less internal heating.

As a guess on the switch- R= run (generator out of circuit which makes it easier to start) and W= Weld (generator produces current) with generator in circuit, which is where you need it set if you try to start from batteries.

One note- there are several sets of brushes inside and they do last a lot longer if you just use the rope starter, as the brushes are primarily carbon brushes. In start mode you will draw probably about 200 to 250 amps just to get it to speed.

The rheostat adjusts the current produced/voltage output (the two are related when welding)

If you have never used a welder before, or never used a stick welder, there will be times when certain rod, such as "6012" will work best with "reversed polarity" which means your electrode holder needs to be the negative lead (-) and the work becomes positive (+).

Look in your public library for a large black book published by Lincoln, as it is the single best reference going. It shows the basics of how to weld (just remember to go for the sound of sizzling bacon and eggs) all the way to bending angle iron into round flanges, how to straighten bent items etc.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:39:36 AM
clifton clowers

thanks for the help john, the gen is marked r-1 and the thing turns the motor with two battery boosters in series(24v)but it dim's the lights some!No spark is the next step.thanks again clif C.