Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

OT Going to Canada

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1818 times

Old 09-14-2006, 08:27:31 PM
Steve A

Default OT Going to Canada

OT Making a quick two or three day trip to Canada and have some questions. What is the voltage and frequency of the power north of the border. THANKS IN ADVANCE. steve
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2006, 08:33:13 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: OT Going to Canada

Same as US. Not to worry.

MAKE SURE YOU BRING 47 FORMS OF ID.

Getting into Canada is the easy part. Getting back into the US is where they throw a nit fit if all your documentation is not ready or good enough.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:02:32 PM

Thanked 19,087 Times in 5,660 Posts

Do NOT attempt to smile, joke, act pleasant or friendly as you will be treated as if you are a terrorist no matter WHICH direction you are heading.

If ONE of any of the border staff would ever SMILE (fat chance......) their face would undoubtedly crack up and fall on the ground...........so please carry a broom and dust pan should that unlikely event actually occur...............
Old 09-14-2006, 09:05:23 PM
Registered-III

And if your name is Mohammed, plan a little extra time...
Old 09-14-2006, 09:06:57 PM

And if your name is Bin Laden..........................just STAY THE HELL HOME..........................
Old 09-14-2006, 09:11:50 PM
Registered-III

Wow. After reading what I wrote, I did not mean for it to come across quite as prejudicial as it may have sounded!

I just meant, hey, in this day and age, plan on a little more scrutiny if your name is Mohammed!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:21:44 PM

I don't wish to offend ANYONE either......but THIS is just too good to let slide......so here goes:

If your name is Mohammed you're gonna be REAL popular out EAST......... ........
Old 09-14-2006, 09:38:57 PM
Registered 0

I agree about the USA border gaurds.I am thinking of not crossing over anymore to the US as i feel like a criminal or other everytime i cross.It use to be OK to cross the line and we had to watch out for the Candian border gaurds but now they are pussy cats compared to the US gaurds.Its just not fun anymore.I guess the terrorists are winning??? And Yes, we do have 120/240 volt power here so you can bring your video games with you.LOL.Dale
Old 09-14-2006, 10:44:21 PM
Card Sponsor

I find this interesting, as I cross into the US weekly to pickup mail,parts etc.the US border people treat me with respect,and it's never a problem. The problem is getting back home, there getting sticky about paying taxes on the stuff you buy in the US, as the exchange rate is only about 9 cents difference, and a lot of Canadians shop in the US, I haul 10 engines to Rollag and back every year and never have any problems.I think that it's good that the borders on both sides are clamping down, it keeps the "riff raff" out of both countries.as far as electrical power goes the northern half of the US buys most of there power from Canada so the voltage and cycles are the same.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:13:38 PM
Steve A

Well I made the trip up and back with no trouble, going up was a breeze,they only ask where I lived. On the way back they asked to see my drivers liscense and if we bought any thing, took about 5 minutes both ways.Thanks for the info and no offense taken with the humor.
steve
Old 09-19-2006, 09:11:17 PM
Subscriber

Thumbs up Re: OT Going to Canada

Know what?

I have lived near the border all my life, and when I was doing something stupid I got in trouble.......but I have always just told the guards (both sides) what they asked. I have hauled a lot of things across three different points-of-entry and I have been treated the way that they see fit.

I am going across to upper Ontario the end of September with an empty 7,000 lb. twin axle trailer and when I cross back into the US there will be a 6 foot double gang disc on it. Make sure you have photo ID and make damned sure you don't make any jokes. Yes ma'am....Yes sir. That'll do.

Oh, if you are hauling equipment in either direction, make sure it is clean.....mud on the tires makes them crazy.

As far as the original question goes.....Canada is a part of the same power grid as the USA. Have fun.