Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

FSP motor wiring

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 9302 times

Old 12-15-2011, 08:21:00 PM
Registered-II

Default FSP motor wiring

And I would like to know how to wire it for the low speed and for the high speed. Can anyone offer that info for me?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 09:00:30 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,901 Times in 3,203 Posts
Default Re: FSP motor wiring

Looks like a Whirlpool washing machine motor to me.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:38:45 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
Looks like a Whirlpool washing machine motor to me.
Just a hint:

Look for a wiring diagram of a whirlpool, kenmore, washing machine and then compare the starting switch terminals and color codes to yours for selecting the two speeds! (several different wiring versions for FSP motors)
If you know the model number of the washing machine it was removed from would be a good start! I have some wiring diagrams in some washing machine service manuals, and the manuals also tell how to bench test for the two speeds of the motor, but it will be about 3 days before I can take a look to post any hints. If no one else gets you going in the meantime I'll get back to you!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:29:00 AM
Sponsor

washing machine and drier motors that have been replaced, and that replacement cured the problem, are usually not worth any effort.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:45:23 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh View Post
washing machine and drier motors that have been replaced, and that replacement cured the problem, are usually not worth any effort.
This was from a washing machine repair shop. He has about 100 different motors he removed from good, parts machines. I am needing a motor for a grain mill and something like this with an rpm of 1140 or so would be perfect. I have a 1725RPM now and its too fast.

I've been looking for a diagram, nothing as of yet has popped up for me.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:28:00 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh View Post
This is usually the color code for FSP 2 speed motors! (I see these colors on your motor but you will have to use a ohmmeter to confirm the proper inputs, etc.

White common,
Start winding , Black (Wht to Blk approx 5-20 ohms) Start switch disconnects this winding when motor starts. Some have a start cap connected in series with the black wire to increase starting torque.

Blue (run winding, blue to white 1-4 ohms)

Violet (run winding, vio to white is 1-4 ohms)

The Blue or Vio wire with the highest reading to the white is the low speed winding!

Connect 120v to white then select either the Blue or vio for desired speed for the 120v input!

You can use a ohmmeter to confirm the readings and the windings!

Stay safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
This was from a washing machine repair shop. He has about 100 different motors he removed from good, parts machines. I am needing a motor for a grain mill and something like this with an rpm of 1140 or so would be perfect. I have a 1725RPM now and its too fast.

I've been looking for a diagram, nothing as of yet has popped up for me.
For a grain mill!!!!!!!!!!

Be Aware that grain dust is explosive!

Hope you mean just a small residential type mill, not a industrial operation!

You may have to play with pulley sizes and some old Maytag dryers have some jackshaft type pulleys mounted in the rear to reduce their speed!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:47:07 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the input. You know, instead of fussing with this, I might just be better off talking a normal motor, with a normal mount, and getting a few pulleys and doing a gear reduction that way. I will probably be less frustrated by the time I get done dinking around.

I have a 10" pulley on the grinder and a 1/2" on the motor, which is still too fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
For a grain mill!!!!!!!!!!

Be Aware that grain dust is explosive!

Hope you mean just a small residential type mill, not a industrial operation!

You may have to play with pulley sizes and some old Maytag dryers have some jackshaft type pulleys mounted in the rear to reduce their speed!
I didnt get to this age by being stupid.

http://youtu.be/bboJSm0PJRQ